Excursion help!

Lau92080

Hey all!

Does anyone have any reccomendations of good (not too expensive but it is our honeymoon so we may splurge for a few things!) excursions in Hawaii?:p

We are leaving September 3 POH!!

Any ideas would be great since there are so many to choose from, I prefer anything that has to do with the beach, but would love to do something different!

Tell me all about your experiences!!:D

THANKS!!!

A lot of people will tell you renting a car is the way to go. Originally I ignored this but when I started seriously planning my excursions I realized everything I wanted to do in Hilo (Volcanoes National Park) and Kauai I could accomplish by driving myself and saving a lot of money. Not only that but I would rather go at my own pace instead of taking a tour. For example, in Kauai I'm spending one day at the spectacular north coast beaches, and the second day at Waimea Canyon.

Our big splurge in terms of most expensive excursion will be the sunrise bike ride from Haleakala crater in Maui. I'm really looking forward to that.

Lauren - I would advise a trip to the library to check out a few books on Hawai'i - there is some much to do on the islands that you really need to trim the field a bit for us. if they carry the "Revealed" series, it's an excellent way to get an idea of what you might like to see or do on each of the islands.

Renting a car is the eaiest way to get around and everything is very visitor friendly - with the exception of the freeways at rush hour in Honolulu. In that case, take surface streets and have a ball just exploring the islands.

Charlie

I agree that your cheapest route is to rent a car ($30'ish per day) and explore the many beaches since you like beaches. If you like snorkeling, go to Snorkel Bobs & pick up snorkeling gear which is pretty cheap $22/wk so you can snorkel at any beach you want. You can pick up one island and drop off at another. Great deal. Visit their website. http://www.snorkelbob.com

A little more pricey are things like parasailing ($75/pp approx) or renting a jetski in Kona ($60 for 30minutes) & I understand dolphins play with you too.

As another poster indicated, you need to narrow the field of things you like to do. Since you mentioned honeymoon, you should consider purchasing the anniversary/romance package thru NCL which is only $79 and what a value. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html;jsessionid=GTvbVC5TvZk5cvzL4nyHPrd3LGt2sQ4T!-407210665?pageId=BonVoyageGifts

504Honeymoon / Anniversary Package

Sparkling Wine and strawberries in your stateroom upon embarkation

Canapés delivered to your stateroom one evening

Honeymooners' Champagne and Cake party

Honeymoon photograph

Romantic dinner for two in Bistro with a complimentary bottle of wine

You can read the review that I posted, which included a few beach days. The big advantage to renting a car is that you have the opportunity to visit different beaches on each island. Every beach on each island has a different feel to it. Also, the weather, wind, and sea conditions can be very different, so it is great to have that flexibility.

What I did was, rent a car on the first day in Maui, and the first day in Kauai, where we had all day to explore the island, and missing the ship was not an issue. We booked NCL excursions on our 2nd day at those ports, as well as at the single-day ports.

If you don't want to rent a car, NCL does have a beach day excursion in Maui (to Ka'anapali Beach) and in Kona (not sure which beach). There is a beach within walking distance of the port in Kauai, and also a free shuttle to take you there. Ka'anapali Beach, in Maui, is a very beautiful and popular beach, but the excursion doesn't give you too much time there. I have never been to any beaches on the Big Island, so I can't comment on them. In Kauai, we did not go to Kalapaki Beach (the one that is walking distance from the port), but I heard that it is very nice; we did go to Poipu Beach, and to Hanlei Beach, both of which were beautiful; I beleive you need to rent a car to get to either.

Are you doing a pre- or post-stay in Oahu? If so, then you have the opportunity to check out Waikiki Beach.

Congratulations on your honeymoon!

An update to my response: NCL also has a beach day excursion to Poipu Beach, in Kauai. But, like the other beach day excursions, it doesn't give you much time at the beach.

The Kona beach excursion is to Anaeho'omalu Beach, and like the others, doesn't give you too much time at the beach.

At any of these ports, I'd recommend a rental car if you want to do a beach day, rather than the NCL excursion, unless you absolutely do not want to drive, for the reasons I mentioned in my other posts. You can rent a GPS unit for $11, so you don't really need to worry too much about getting lost.

Good luck.

• Administrators

Wow, Yukon, thanks for this tip --

"Since you mentioned honeymoon, you should consider purchasing the anniversary/romance package thru NCL which is only $79 and what a value. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...BonVoyageGifts"

That IS a great deal; I just booked it for our 7/9 cruise -- the cruise is our "big" present for our tenth, but this "little" one will make it that much more special.

Wow, Yukon, thanks for this tip --

"Since you mentioned honeymoon, you should consider purchasing the anniversary/romance package thru NCL which is only $79 and what a value. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...BonVoyageGifts"

That IS a great deal; I just booked it for our 7/9 cruise -- the cruise is our "big" present for our tenth, but this "little" one will make it that much more special.

You're welcome! I saw it in the NCL book & again on the website and seemed like such a great way to celebrate our first cruise and first trip to Hawaii. Couldn't pass it up myself so want to spread the knowledge for others!;) Good luck

Archived