Car Rental in Port Canaveral

tjljsc

Instead of doing an excursion with Carnival when we arrive back in Port Canaveral, we're going to rent a car. I found a car for ~$40 with Budget, picking up in Cape Canaveral and dropping it off that night at Orlando Airport.

Has anyone done this before? Is there shuttle service to the rental office from port? Did I get a good deal?

Your price sounds about right from what I have read on the boards. I have read of some getting Budget for about $27-30. Budget runs a shuttle between the port and their rental location in Cocoa Beach. When we got off the Sovereign of the Seas last September, the Budget van was off to the right as you came out of the terminal.

tjljsc

If you need suggestions for things to do near the port, Cape Canaveral, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, or Merritt Island, let me know what kinds of things would interest you, and I'll try to give you information that, hopefully, you will find useful.

• 2 weeks later...

We just used Budget for Orlando to Cocoa Beach and back to Orlando for our Mariner cruise a few weeks ago. Their shuttle service was HORRIBLE to say the least! Yes, they do have a shuttle. But it runs VERY infrequently and is too SMALL for the number of passengers to transport and their luggage. AND the car we got in Orlando was FILTHY - smelled of smoke and had obviously not been cleaned.

We are leaving again from Port Canaveral in November and we will be using either Avis or Hertz. My recommendation is - DO NOT use Budget.

Renting a car is definitely worthwhile. When you consider that taxis are generally about $100 (including a 15% gratuity) one-way, getting a car in the $60 range ($40 or so plus factoring in taxes and fuel) gives you much more flexibility. In my case, I'm renting a car in each direction. Since I'm staying in Cocoa Beach for a day before the cruise leaves, this gives me flexibility for shopping and getting to/from a group dinner. On the way back, my flight doesn't leave until 5:30 PM, so I have flexibility to explore. Even if that weren't the case -- if it were just for transportation -- it would be cheaper.

My net cost, including all taxes, fuel, etc:

AVIS: $160 (for both ways)

Taxi: $200

My choice: AVIS. :)

That would be great. I'll be travelling with my mom (I'm 28, she's 46) and our flights don't leave until 6:30pm on Thursday.

As far as our interests... we're not really into museums or other "touristy" stuff. I think we'd be most interested in some good hang out spots or shopping areas. Our original thought was just to head into Orlando, but if there are things to do/see in the port area (or on the way to Orland), that could be a better option.

We both love wine and gourmet food. Shopping (unusual/local stuff) and beaches (water sports, lounging) are good too.

Cruislovin: I certainly hope you complained. Totally unacceptable. In the future, if the car is nasty when you get it, request to speak to a manager and get a different car. Once they have your money, resolution options are difficult. I've had a similar experience with Avis (smokey/dirty car) and made them bring out a manager to the lot. We received a free upgrade on the car class and a tank of gas.

Cruislovin: I certainly hope you complained. Totally unacceptable. In the future, if the car is nasty when you get it, request to speak to a manager and get a different car. Once they have your money, resolution options are difficult. I've had a similar experience with Avis (smokey/dirty car) and made them bring out a manager to the lot. We received a free upgrade on the car class and a tank of gas.
Yes, you are right - we complained. We had the car for 2 days and got one day's rental free! For that price, it was tolerable with some air freshener I provided. ;)

Archived