50th Anniversary Re-wedding and the Quest of the SILIC

At the "request" of the Sister-in-law-in-charge (SILIC), we are looking for the wise and sage counsel of this board as to the possibility of doing the following:

• 50th Anniversary re-wedding party and cruise
  • Reception/party on board in dock for family and friends
  • Immediate family sail on the cruise

Ok, I wrote that and just got a headache. Have you seen the Paolo family on Amazing Race? Think a whole lot of Paolo families all put together. That'll be my days on this joyous adventure. I used to play in rock bands. They were loud, really loud ... but not as loud as this family. If you are going on the same cruise as us, please accept my apologies in advance.

Here's the gig:

Mama and Papa's 50th wedding anniversary is on Sat. 10/4/08, assuming of course that Mama doesn't kill Papa on or before that date. SILIC's idea is to send the loving couple on a cruise. I think this a wonderful idea, especially since they have one way cruises. Who do I give the check to?

Then SILIC decides that since they have cruises out of New York, we can have the re-wedding (I never get that, does the license expire?) and the party on the boat, then everyone hops off and waves fair-thee-well as Mama and Papa sail away, hand in hand by the rail of the ship framed by the perfect sunset over New Jersey, tears in their eyes as they lovingly remember this great day given to them by their gentle and generous children. Yeah right ... my headache worsens. I see myself in a position that I have managed to nicely avoid for over 25 years ... getting involved in in-law activity. Besides, is this even possible? They turn these ships around fast when in port. How can they do that and hustle a wedding on and off board? Just ask! orders the SILIC

So SILIC "proposes" the idea to Mama, who used to be in charge before passing the reigns on to SILIC and still has some influence over the affairs of the family. Not much, but some. Then Mama comes up with the best idea of all ... "If I am going, the all my family must go".

I hear this and choke on the bracciole. A dinner every so often is hard enough, but a cruise !!! I envision myself running screaming into the night, but when I opened my eyes, I was still at the dinner table. The first question at hand is, how many Excederine can one take in a day?

Just to aid your wiseness and sageness as you reply wisely and sagely to this post, here's what "All my family" means:

• Mama & Papa
  • Daughter #1 and talented endearing husband, the light of her life
  • Daughter #2 and Kids (M25, F24, F21, M17, F5)
  • Daughter #3 (SILIC) and husband and kids (F14, F10)
  • Son #1 and Only and wife and kids (F13, F12)

Now that's 18 people. If I wasn't there, who would notice? Yeah, I know, no such luck.

So we know that this cruise has to be short. Something close to land so one can jump off the ship and swim to shore if need be. A ship with a lot of hiding places would be good also.

Then there's the question of when. Last I looked, schools were in session for the first week of October and that's a lot of kids to take out of school.

So, I leave it to you. What advice have you have for me?

Humbly,

*chuckles* Good luck!

No seriously. I think it all depends on how formal the gang is looking for. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that if you want non-sailing guest at the dock pre-sail, you'll have to book something official through the cruise line. Keeping in mind that the number of non-sailing guest is limited.

If you want something more informal, I think I would opt to just book a cruise, have the family join "Mama and Papa" on the cruise and throw some impromptu party on the ship during the cruise.

Then for you own sanity sake, order room service and sit on your balcony and wait for the cruise to be over :rolleyes:

That is the most entertaining description of a family I have heard in a long time! By the way, I'm now adopting your SILIC for my OWN future SIL...

I'm new to this wedding planning (first wedding for me!) but we are sailing out of NYC on the Caribbean Princess in May 2008. For the following reasons I suggest you choose a different cruise (not that we wouldn't enjoy watching you hide from the family) but this cruise is 9 days (YIKES....shoot me now if they all decide to come along!) I think there are some 5 day cruises to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean out of Cape Liberty, NJ.

Once you are on the ship, here is my advice. Have the wedding celebration immediately (embarkation) and then have a nice family dinner, and THEN plan that you will all do your own thing. You can cite the huge age differences as the reason why you cannot all plan your activities together. To appease those seeking familial togetherness, plan a dinner at one of the specialty restaurants later on during the cruise. If all else fails, take comfort in the fact that it's a cruise, and alcohol will never be far away!

PS- as a former teacher, I can tell you that most kids can make up a week pretty easily (especially the younger ones), but if possible, try to plan around Columbus Day... many schools are closed and then the kids only miss 4 days.

Archived