Questions about Alaska

We have never been. I have a scooter that goes everwhere with me.We dock in Juneau and I found out that the mt tramway to the top is accessible and just right next to the ship so there is something I can do. Does anyone know of anymore accessible tours here? In ketchikan we are going to see the Lumberjack show supposively also next to the ship and maybe lunch and shop.We are not here but 6 hours. Now as for Sitka, its a tender port so I doubt I will be able to get on and off here if the seas are rough but maybe they will be ok,, What could I do on a scooter in Sitka? Any advice is welcomed. Thankyou :)

In Juneau, I know Orca Enterprises' whale watching tours (the boat anyway) are accessible, and they depart right from the dock. I'm not sure if they provide you an alternate exit from the ship, but I recall that the ramps on and off the ship at Juneau were very steep and narrow......ask ahead of time on that.

At Sitka, it's a very short, tame tender ride, and I know there was a ramp up to street level - that I think would be navigable. We went to the Totem Park there - it's a national park facility, so should be accessible. Also went to the Russian dancers; both were very enjoyable! Also the Raptor Center - make sure your cab takes you all the way to the door - we were on a shuttle bus and had to walk a good way up a hill. The inside of the Raptor Center should be fine, and there is a small "trail" outside where you can view different types of animals.

Ketchikan is small and flat near the docks, so you should have no trouble with poking around in the shops there. You will probably want to get a cab if you go to Creek Street (it's several blocks away from the dock area and you have to cross a couple of busier streets) but I think you would be fine once you get there.....the "street" is a wooden platform over a creek, with lots of little shops.

Hope you love Alaska as much as we did!

Libby

I see that you are on the Oosterdam which we cruised on in Alaska last June. I will tell you this was one of the most accessible ships I have been on and the staff was awesome. I use a manual wheelchair and it was very easy to get around.

In Juneau the dock that we ended up at in Juneau the ramps were fairly level but we have to take busses into town, and they do run handicap accessible busses with lifts, so that is not a problem. We used Orca Enterprises for our excursion there, they provided transportation by a handicap accissible ramp van to where there boat is but the ramp getting down to their boat is steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, you might have a runaway scooter going down that thing if you don't have someone to help. I recommend this tour, its not crowded at all and we saw everything from seals, to humpback whales and about 4 different pods of killer whales within a few feet of our boat. This tour is not offered through Holland America and has to be booked on your own. http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

Sitka, we went on one of the tours provided by the boat and they provided a handicap bus and it went to the raptor center, the russian orthadox church, the totem museaum and then a dancing exhibition right by the ship. Holland America uses there own life boats as tenders and they are handicap accessible, you drive right onto it and it lowers you into the boat.

In Ketchikan, my parents did their own thing and I did a float plane tour, they provided a handicap bus and they actuall shoved me and my wheelchair into the plane, and I loved it it was a once in a lifetime thing for me.

When you do make reservation for an excursion on the ship make sure you tell them you need handicap transportation and they will set it up for you also in Sitka since you have to tender, go to the front desk when you get on the ship and let them know you need the handicap liftboat and they will arrange a time for you to meet a crew member to take you past the long lines of people who are trying to get off the ship.

If you are going to Victoria which we did, we did the wine and chocolate tasting tour booked onthe ship, it was awesome, we had our own private transportation and got to see a little extra since we had our own vehicle its well worth it.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

My parents did the best of Juneau tour with Mighty Great Trips last year. They had a bus with a wheelchair lift for my mom. The lift bus is only available if you call in advance to reserve it. I think the cost was $25 pp and included a stop at the Mendenhall glacier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am booked on the Inside passage cruise with RCCL next July. Our ship does not stop in Ketchikan. Is this port a "must see"? This maybe the only time I get my hubby over to Alaska, so I want to make sure we get all the best stuff in. Thanks

Personally I'd put Ketchikan at the bottom of the Alaska ports list. It's no big deal. there is the Lumberjack show at the port and Creek Street and the Totem Park, but nothing really that unique. Plus it's really crowded. and you may tender even if it's not a tender port becasue of traffic issues.

i don't think you are missing anything.

Candy

We have never been. I have a scooter that goes everwhere with me.We dock in Juneau and I found out that the mt tramway to the top is accessible and just right next to the ship so there is something I can do. Does anyone know of anymore accessible tours here? In ketchikan we are going to see the Lumberjack show supposively also next to the ship and maybe lunch and shop.We are not here but 6 hours. Now as for Sitka, its a tender port so I doubt I will be able to get on and off here if the seas are rough but maybe they will be ok,, What could I do on a scooter in Sitka? Any advice is welcomed. Thankyou :)

Alaska has become a lot more accessible, so I hope you can enjoy your time with us.

I checked the website of Glacier Gardens in Juneau: http://glaciergardens.com/T_access.htm This is a lovely place, but it's not in town, so transportation would have to be through cab or tourbus.

Unfortunately, much of that town that's not the main tee shirt shop drag is steeply uphill, and that street can become quite crowded when four or five ships are in. But if you wanted to stay in town, the State Museum is on the flat bit and is fully accessible. The City Museum just added wheelchair ramp, but is atop a steep street. There is a little 'city sights' bus that chugs around, making stops. Perhaps they have a lift for chairs and scooters.

The tram is a great idea. Although the hiking trails would be off limits, there's wonderful viewing platforms and the raptor exhibit is right by the main building. I also agree that if you're up to it, the whalewatching or a fixed plane flight would be exciting.

Depending on your interests, it may be worth renting a taxi to get out of downtown Juneau. They have touring rates, and can send a van that's accessible. The viewpoint in the glacier is accessible, as is the observation center itself, and I believe they modified the nearby Moraine Ecology Trail so that a wheelchair can move along.

The Auke Bay Recreation Area has gentle sloping accessible trails down to the beach. The Shrine of St. Therese allows vehicles for wheelchairs to drive right down for a drop off, and I think it's one of the loveliest places on earth.

The cabbies know all the good places to go, and can easily be a sight in themselves!

Archived