princess cruises - disabled facilities

bigfellow

I have just returned from a cruise on the Emerald Princess and was very concerned about the lack of facility planning for passengers with mobility problems.

During the cruise I and many others were prevented from attending the naming ceremony because of my inability to stand in the sun for one and a half hours - Princess did not have the initiative to pre-plan a seperate location where disabled could take part in the ceremony - a TV in a lounge would have been good.:(

An easy walking tour to the Amalfi Coast included a descent of over 100 steps to the lunch venue all because the guide did not know that there was a lift.:(

The charter flight back to the UK was a bit like a "cattle truck" - free seating, no leg room and a very poor inedible meal was proof that one should not believe everything they read in the Brochure.

A good cruise experience was spoiled by a lack of disabled facility planning and the ability of the airline to provide what was promised.

If you have mobility problems - beware of the difficulties.:( :( :(

I have just returned from a cruise on the Emerald Princess and was very concerned about the lack of facility planning for passengers with mobility problems.

During the cruise I and many others were prevented from attending the naming ceremony because of my inability to stand in the sun for one and a half hours - Princess did not have the initiative to pre-plan a seperate location where disabled could take part in the ceremony - a TV in a lounge would have been good.:(

An easy walking tour to the Amalfi Coast included a descent of over 100 steps to the lunch venue all because the guide did not know that there was a lift.:(

The charter flight back to the UK was a bit like a "cattle truck" - free seating, no leg room and a very poor inedible meal was proof that one should not believe everything they read in the Brochure.

A good cruise experience was spoiled by a lack of disabled facility planning and the ability of the airline to provide what was promised.

If you have mobility problems - beware of the difficulties.

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems! :mad:

It seems that every time DH & I cruise (he is paralyzed) we learn something

"new"........this past time I learned to book a DIRECT flight from now on!

I've just learned to deal with the situation at hand & learn from the experience. I do have to say it is getting much better! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider Princess any worse than the other major cruise lines when it comes to tours in many Mediterranean ports. We had a similar experience on a tour off an RCI ship in Spain recommended for people with mobility problems. We complained to the tour desk and got a refund for the tour by the end of the cruise. It was not unusual to have no tours appropriate for handicapped passengers in some ports. I don't blame the cruise lines for the problem but rather expect it from the many countries in the region with no accessibility laws or customs. It is something to be aware of and prepare for if you wish to cruise in that area.

Archived