Do's and Don'ts for your CC Onboard Meet and Greets

We just got off a transatlantic cruise on the Grand and want to suggest a couple of ways to make your CC onboard meetings more fun. Anyone else got any suggestions?

1) Plan your first meeting during the coctkail hour - our's was right after muster. A lot of us were tired, hungry etc. but manged to show up and were glad we did. Cocktails are great icebreakers, whether your choice is a margarita or bottle of Evian. If you're a large group, Skywalkers is a great place to meet - arrange for the bar to be open.

2) Someone should take charge and have everyone step forward and introduce themselves.

3) Suggest a daily meeting for all who care to extend the socializing. In our case, we set it at 5pm at one of the pool bars outside the Horizon Court. Usually we gravitated inside because it was too windy or noisy outside - and the nibblies were easier to reach.

4) Find out who does the Patter and have them list even your daily get-togethers but THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:

Do NOT let them use "Cruise Critic" in the Patter. All it does is bring people to the meetings who think we're just there to criticize the cruise. One passenger actually brought a written list of his complaints! Use only your group name and add private meeting. For instance, we were the Ramblin' Romers (we all were looking forward to La Rambla in Barcelona and we ended up in Rome). Unfortunately they kept printing "Cruise Critic Ramblin' Romers Private Meeting" so we kept getting outsiders, even though it said "private." All people see is Cruise Critic and they don't understand.

We have found, in the past, that if they place a CC meet in the patter, it is best for them to word it "Cruise Critic meeting. For all those that read or post to this internet site". It worked very well on several sailings. The last one on the Dawn where they just put "Cruise Critic Meeting" we also had a passenger show up wanting to complain about pricing in Europe of Princess Cruises. Since it was worded just as cruise critic meeting, it left it open for those thinking it was a bitch session. :)

I have arranged a get-together June 3 for our CC in Skywalker Lounge at 2:00pm. I asked the Princess Customer Assistance if it could be printed in the Patter and was told no. After reading some of your suggestions, maybe that is better. I have it posted on our Roll Call and one of the people on Roll Call has a website they will post it there also. We are having the bar open at ours also. I am a take charge person, so I appreciate your suggestion to have 1 person in charge to do all the introductions. Do you suggest name tags with our CC names, we may recognize people by those names so much easier? Thanks

Donna

Someone should take charge and have everyone step forward and introduce themselves.

Suggest a daily meeting for all who care to extend the socializing. In our case, we set it at 5pm at one of the pool bars outside the Horizon Court. Usually we gravitated inside because it was too windy or noisy outside - and the nibblies were easier to reach.

I'm the one who takes charge of my CruiseCriters on the roll calls

I make badges with Screen Name and First name.

I also make a roll call roster with Hometowns and Cabin numbers

I find most cc'ers do not want to give out cabin numbers.

Reason for cabin number. So we can set up meetings later in the cruise

Here is a sample badge

888627746_badgeadobe.jpg.e6c4d8823c6e48eb99e5f415af9e590e.jpg

I'm the one who takes charge of my CruiseCriters on the roll calls

I make badges with Screen Name and First name.

I also make a roll call roster with Hometowns and Cabin numbers

I find most cc'ers do not want to give out cabin numbers.

Reason for cabin number. So we can set up meetings later in the cruise

Here is a sample badge

Thanks for the suggestion, they turned out really nice, I am going to post on our roll call what we should call ourselves.

Donna, If you would like any meetings placed in the Princess Patter, it isn't a problem. Princess can not do anything before you board, so that might be the reason you received that answer. All you have to do is to drop a note to the cruise director (you can leave it at the pursers desk if you can't locate them in person) and let them know of the time and dates for your meets. They will locate an unsued lounge for it and post it in the patter the night before for all CC members to read. A suggestion on how it is to be worded would probably be helpful in keeping out those that think it is a complaint session. We have found that having it placed in the patter that not only those on our roll call show up, but others that read, but don't post to CC. They knew all of us, although we had not idea who they were. It was lots of fun to meet new CC'ers and most came back and began posting after the cruise. Some readers are a bit shy and they need to realize what a great bunch we have here on CC to feel comfortable about posting here.

Donna, If you would like any meetings placed in the Princess Patter, it isn't a problem. Princess can not do anything before you board, so that might be the reason you received that answer. All you have to do is to drop a note to the cruise director (you can leave it at the pursers desk if you can't locate them in person) and let them know of the time and dates for your meets. They will locate an unsued lounge for it and post it in the patter the night before for all CC members to read. A suggestion on how it is to be worded would probably be helpful in keeping out those that think it is a complaint session. We have found that having it placed in the patter that not only those on our roll call show up, but others that read, but don't post to CC. They knew all of us, although we had not idea who they were. It was lots of fun to meet new CC'ers and most came back and began posting after the cruise. Some readers are a bit shy and they need to realize what a great bunch we have here on CC to feel comfortable about posting here.

Thanks, I just posted on our Roll Call we need a name for our group incase we want to mention this in the Patter. I appreciate all of the suggestions they are great, I am leaving Sunday so wont be posting on CC prior to the actual cruise. I am sure it will all work out.

Thanks for the replies!:p I forgot to mention name badges and a pre-cruise spreadsheet. On our last cruise, one of our group did a FABULOUS roll call, initially in Excel and then transferred to a PDF file because it got so long. For the first time, I have volunteered to keep the spreadsheet:eek: .

Princess will put your meetings in the Patter. I still contend that it is not a good idea to put "Cruise Critic" in the Patter. Some people may think it's a good idea so people who know what CC is will come. Frankly, if they know what it is they could have jumped onto the roll call even the day before the cruise left and introduced themselves. A very real pre-cruise camarderie forms on the Princess roll call site for each CC group - especially when people have been posting for months. Just my opinion that the meetings should be reserved for those who introduced themselves before the cruise OR invited guests of those people. Some of these CC groups get huge (100+ for the really popular cruises) so at that point it's not necessarily "the more the merrier".

I still contend that it is not a good idea to put "Cruise Critic" in the Patter. Some people may think it's a good idea so people who know what CC is will come.

This is one way to "Recruit" new members.

I still contend that it is not a good idea to put "Cruise Critic" in the Patter. Some people may think it's a good idea so people who know what CC is will come.

Also another way is to wear your "CruiseCritic hat". And use it to find other card carrying members of our group.

Also another way is to wear your "CruiseCritic hat". And use it to find other card carrying members of our group.

We inevitably recruit quite a few people in the dining room by just mentioning Cruise Critic. We tell them how to sign on when they get home so they can be "onboard" for their next cruise. I'm not sure why we would want to actually seek out more members on an actual cruise - unless of course the CC group is a small one. If there really is such a thing as a "Cruise Critic hat", I think whoever wore one would get more comments along the line of "Let me tell you about the awful food I got at lunch today":mad: rather than "What's Cruise Critic?

Thanks Derf but if you're going to quote someone, finish out the thought. After I asked if there was such a thing as a Cruise Critic hat I added:

I think whoever wore one would get more comments along the line of "Let me tell you about the awful food I got at lunch today":mad: rather than "What's Cruise Critic?

Let me assure you I'm a HUGE Cruise Critic fan. I just wish they had a different name that didn't have the word "critic" in it. We're definitely not about critiquing - we're about camaraderie and fun! And there are LOADS of great lightweight caps out there - believe me, we have one from almost every port we've visited (matching T-shirts too lol.)

3) Suggest a daily meeting for all who care to extend the socializing. In our case, we set it at 5pm at one of the pool bars outside the Horizon Court. Usually we gravitated inside because it was too windy or noisy outside - and the nibblies were easier to reach.

DAILY MEETING???????

Are you kidding? Don't people cruise to get away from daily meetings?

Suggesting daily meetings or asking for someones cabin number is likely to lead to people not joining CC. Lots of people cruise to get away from life's daily hassles. All this sounds like something to avoid.

I know you mean well, but it just sounds like too much IMO.

DAILY MEETING???????

Suggesting daily meetings or asking for someones cabin number is likely to lead to people not joining CC. Lots of people cruise to get away from life's daily hassles. All this sounds like something to avoid.

Uh, lighten up Carol. The totally optional daily gathering is for whoever wants to show up. On our last cruise some days NO ONE showed up (as reported the next day by the one person who did show up). Other days we were pulling extra chairs around from all over the place. Nobody pays attention to who's there and who's not - just having a drink before dinner with friends and sharing the day's adventures, whether for 10 minutes or an hour and a half. I'll grant you that business meetings often are major hassles, but drinks on the high seas with friends when (and only when) it's convenient and you're in the mood is definitely not. So reattach your you-know-what and next cruise you're on, ignore those fools who want to get together regularly and enjoy peace and quiet on your own. Cruising is about personal choices - that's why we all love it.;)

One don't:

Don't meet in a lounge or bar already occupied by the general popluation. We planned to meet at the Wheelhouse before dinner the first night. I walked in wearing a Red Sox jersey (check out my screen name) and people from all over the bar yelled to me. They had all been sitting in different spots not knowing that anyone else from the board was in there. If I didn't wear the jersey I wouldn't have met all the wonderful people that I did.:p

Keep it simple , if people want to show up they will. Of the 20 people you think you might get half will show up. We picked the Tradewinds Bar just before sailaway in San Juan. We had beads , one nice chap brought extras and passed them out . We had an active board and around 30 people showed up. The next day we did a meet at Skywalker's and 12 people showed up then. It's all in the folks that post as to how many show up. Don't let it make or break your good time. I have met a few very nice people from Cruise Critic. And I am glad to call them all friends.

Year from Oct DH & I will be attending our first M & M we are looking forward to meeting everyone. I do hope it is kept simple. On Sail Aways, you will find me somewhere around the Deck over looking the Pool or way forward. I enjoyed reading the differant suggestions for M & M

DAILY MEETING???????

There are people who frequent Cruise Critic to obtain cruise related information and are not interested in the social nature of roll call forums - as a rule I happen to be one of those people. I would venture to guess that most people who visit this site come for the excellent advice and cruise reviews found here.

But there are those who log onto roll call forums for social interaction. People banter back and forth like they would in a chat room; they tend to share more information than I would (about themselves) and they seem to enjoy planning their cruise with one another. It's always surprising how many know one another from past cruises and it's interesting how friendships develop online. I see nothing wrong with this - but it's kind of like on-line dating.

I can see why someone not familiar with the nature of roll call forums would think it was odd for people to plan parties with total strangers. I for one feel people share way too much personal information while online. But that's me. I am also a group leader here at Cruise Critic, and I can tell you, I have come across some great people and some scary ones!

I have found that when people do not know one another, about 50% show up IF the roll call forum is very active. Planning a sail-away party immediately following the lifeboat drill seems to always get a better turn-out. Because I do mostly scuba and volleyball themed cruises, I coordinate the diving in our ports of call or the volleyball play on the ship and a tournament in port. But I tend to keep things low key, understanding that people need time for themselves and family. Only one private cocktail party towards the end of the cruise is planned as far as parties go.

I have always found that if you hit it off with people, you will make time to get together. No need to over-plan.

Suzi

hi,

i am new to this cruise critic web site. i find it very informative with lots of goodies pertaining to my upcoming cruises. our first is ncl dawn 6/16/07 nyc. i reluctantly signed in at the roll cal but after reading all their utter nonsense none of which pertains to the cruise i really dont think i will hook up. my next cruise is princess crown nyc 09/06/07. agsain a bunch o crap nothing realting to the cruise. really feel its not for me. but i do find helpful tips on cruise critic.

rhonda:)

hi,

i am new to this cruise critic web site. i find it very informative with lots of goodies pertaining to my upcoming cruises. our first is ncl dawn 6/16/07 nyc. i reluctantly signed in at the roll cal but after reading all their utter nonsense none of which pertains to the cruise i really dont think i will hook up. my next cruise is princess crown nyc 09/06/07. agsain a bunch o crap nothing realting to the cruise. really feel its not for me. but i do find helpful tips on cruise critic.

rhonda:)

I thought the same thing the first time I checked out a roll call forum. But like I said, there are those that come here for specific cruise planning info (the vast majority of folks) and those that come here to socialize. The two groups are as different as night and day.

I have not quite bought into the social aspects of Cruise Critic, but a significant number have. Look at all the online groups out there - Cruise Critic is but one site!

I love the word critic. It is not a bad thing. In fact, wikipedia defines critic as "(derived from the ancient Greek word krites meaning a judge) is a person who offers a value judgement or an interpretation. (The word is sometimes used pejoratively, especially by defenders of a critic's object.)"

People also think judge (as an intransitive verb

) is bad. However, to judge is a matter of opinion.

Oh and by the way, an intransitive verb is incomplete without an direct object. :)

Archived