Has anyone sailed on Jazz Cruise charter?

Elizabeth K.

Has anyone ever heard of or cruised with this group? DH came across this. He's not a huge cruise enthusiast but I am and this might be a way for both of us to get what we want. The thing is, from what I can tell, the prices are almost double and not sure it would be worth it. Also, the one this fall is on HAL. Don't know if they always are. Any thoughts?

Elizabeth

http://www.thejazzcruise.com/Artists/tabid/87/Default.aspx

I remember reading a thread concerning a jazz cruise, and the poster said there were lots of people with instruments and these people practiced in their cabins. The poster was annoyed beyond belief, and I don't blame him. It seems they were unable to enjoy their cabin because of this noise. And if I remember correctly, this poster was in a deluxe suite and he was toasted because he'd spent a sizable amount of money for the suite for the week, only to not be able to enjoy the suite because of all the racket. For me, no matter where you are on the ship, you shouldn't have to listen to something like this.

Now, I don't know if this is the same group, but it would be worth finding out to be sure. I personally love jazz and if all this meant was there was going to be jazz groups on the ship playing in public areas...I'd love that. I just wouldn't want to have to listen to anyone practicing an instrument in their cabin.

And I think the prices are very high, but I think all charter prices are higher than regular sailings.

We were on the Ryndam in February 21st to the Sea of Cortez and didn't realize it was a Jazz cruise. We bought it from an on-line TA for a good price. There about 750 people in thier group. I guess the most common complaint from other passengers were that the group took over all of the lounges. We would go into the Crows Nest for drinks and sit in the back away from all of them and listened to the music. We are not fans of Jazz but we did enjoy several of the groups. But they did pretty much take over the ship. We didn't mind as we fit in with everyone:) Okay maybe not everyone but we did have a good time.

Kathy

Thanks for your comments.

The one I'm thinking of is a full charter so everyone on board is there for the jazz. I never thought about the practicing that might take place in the cabins. I suppose it could get pretty loud :eek:

The one I'm thinking of is a full charter so everyone on board is there for the jazz. I never thought about the practicing that might take place in the cabins. I suppose it could get pretty loud :eek:

I don't know if they will practice their instruments in their cabins or not, but it would be worth checking out. Honestly, I can't believe practicing in a cabin would be tolerated. We spent a lot of time in our cabin, and the last thing I would want to do is listen to someone playing in the next cabin.

Here's the thread I mentioned. I looked at it again, and it appears this sailing was not a charter. I love jazz, so I think it would be fun. Maybe this won't be an issue on the cruise you are thinking about booking. I just mentioned this because it never occured to me that someone would do such a thing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528479

Whatever you end up doing...I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

We have been on several of the full ship charters. As well as many jazz cruises on the old S.S. Norway and other ships. Practicing in cabins is never an issue because we're at the music until the wee hours instead of our cabin. And practicing to play straight ahead jazz wouldn't be as loud as some other types anyway.

We always book an inside cabin because we're rarely there! The people who do those charters are experts and it's worth every penny to hear these wonderful world class musicians. We go on the straight ahead jazz cruises, but they also do a Dave Koz and friends, a smooth jazz cruise, and a North Sea cruise, and I believe they're adding more. Depends on what type of jazz you enjoy. Straight ahead jazz is mostly 40's music and some 30's. If you love this type of music, it's a great experience. On one cruise we were "stuck" for a whole week with the Grammy winning Count Basie Orchestra and DH thought he had died and gone to heaven!

The cruises some posters mentioned feature mostly Dixieland Jazz, which is called "Trad" in the western u.s. The full ship charters don't feature that type. We have been with those "trad" groups also, and I completely agree that it's not fair to other passengers to occupy all the "public" rooms.

The HAL ships are lovely and exactly the right size - about 2000 passengers - not so much walking between venues and dining room, etc.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Bev

I don't know if they will practice their instruments in their cabins or not, but it would be worth checking out. Honestly, I can't believe practicing in a cabin would be tolerated. We spent a lot of time in our cabin, and the last thing I would want to do is listen to someone playing in the next cabin.

Here's the thread I mentioned. I looked at it again, and it appears this sailing was not a charter. I love jazz, so I think it would be fun. Maybe this won't be an issue on the cruise you are thinking about booking. I just mentioned this because it never occured to me that someone would do such a thing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528479

Whatever you end up doing...I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

We were on a Jazz Cruise on the Volendam in January, of 2006. It was a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. We did not hear anyone "practicing" in our room, nor did I hear anyone practicing, as I was walking down any of the halls leading to the rooms. When various people did play it seemed like they were in one of the conference rooms.

We didn't pay any extra and didn't even know about the Jazz at Sea, till we got on board. I enjoyed all the various concerts they gave all over the ship, and felt it was an added benefit. I'm not a big jazz fan, but the music was very enjoyable and it was a great time.

Chris

We were on a Jazz Cruise on the Volendam in January, of 2006. It was a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. We did not hear anyone "practicing" in our room, nor did I hear anyone practicing, as I was walking down any of the halls leading to the rooms. When various people did play it seemed like they were in one of the conference rooms.

We didn't pay any extra and didn't even know about the Jazz at Sea, till we got on board. I enjoyed all the various concerts they gave all over the ship, and felt it was an added benefit. I'm not a big jazz fan, but the music was very enjoyable and it was a great time.

Chris

It sounds like you were very lucky not to have someone in the next cabin playing a musical instrument. I would imagine not every person in every cabin will be doing this, but it's something I'd like to know prior to booking a cruise like this. But I am understand why the OP on the thread I posted was very unhappy. I would have been.

After reading the thread that I posted, I'd sure like to know that practicing in a cabin is something you might (or might not) encounter. If I thought there was a chance of this happening, I'd not book the cruise. However, music coming from another cabin may not bother some people...but it would me.

This info falls in "know before you go" so you can make a decision that works best for you. The same goes with the thread about the group renting out the Crow's Nest lounge. It's great info to know, even if it doesn't happen on your cruise, it's something that could and therefore you can check further into the situation if you choose.

We go on a cruise for peace and quiet. It doesn't matter to me if someone is a professional when it comes to playing a musical instrument. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and in the suite, and I don't want to hear someone practicing an insturment.

I'd enjoy listening to the music, only if it was in public areas. And like you, I would consider it to be an added benefit. :)

We sponsor and promote Dixieland Jazz Cruises. We request that our band members not practice in their staterooms. Most don't. Some warm up their lips for a few minutes. I think it would be fine to knock on the door and request that they respect your right to silence. I know each and everyone of our musicians would honor such a request and be distressed that they caused you any problem.

We go on the full chartered Blues Cruise every year - actually twice a year. Next time it's January 08 on the Westerdam (eastern caribbean), October 07 on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera). Music goes from noon (on sea days) to 1 am on the pool deck - they cover the aft pool with the stage (or seating) - and bring on their own stage on the side. The piano bar has music until 6am. Crows nest and other venues have music late too. NO dress code at all!!! It's heaven! Every cruiser knows what they are getting into when they book.

We sponsor and promote Dixieland Jazz Cruises. We request that our band members not practice in their staterooms. Most don't. Some warm up their lips for a few minutes. I think it would be fine to knock on the door and request that they respect your right to silence. I know each and everyone of our musicians would honor such a request and be distressed that they caused you any problem.

I noticed that your 1/5 sailing does not appear to be a charter. How does this work? By this I mean, does the regular HAL entertainment get ten days off or does this happen side by side with the jazz musicians?

I noticed that your 1/5 sailing does not appear to be a charter. How does this work? By this I mean, does the regular HAL entertainment get ten days off or does this happen side by side with the jazz musicians?[/quote

Sorry you haven't received a reply yet. We are familiar with this popular group but have only sailed with other Dixieland groups a few years ago. On those cruises, regular HAL entertainment did continue side by side with the jazz performances. The jazz has taken place in specified venues for the jazz people only.

Bev

It sounds like you were very lucky not to have someone in the next cabin playing a musical instrument. I would imagine not every person in every cabin will be doing this, but it's something I'd like to know prior to booking a cruise like this. But I am understand why the OP on the thread I posted was very unhappy. I would have been.

If I recall twinkletoes, there was a single report from someone who found themselves booked on a cruise with a jazz group. I seem to recall the poster reported that someone in the cabin next door was practicing in their cabin and it disturbed their quiet enjoyment of their cruise.

There were others on this cruise who did not hear anything from other cabins and I hardly think it was prevalent throughout the cruise. We have heard occasional instruments ( guitars) being played in cabins on several different cruise lines, while walking the halls.

If something like this bothered me, I would knock on the cabin door and ask them to stop and the problem would be solved and forgotten.

Straight ahead jazz is mostly 40's music and some 30's. If you love this type of music, it's a great experience. On one cruise we were "stuck" for a whole week with the Grammy winning Count Basie Orchestra and DH thought he had died and gone to heaven!

That would be my DH's feeling also. What company did you use for the straight ahead jazz cruise? We are thinking of a cruise after the San Diego Dixieland Jazz Festival with some of the performers through the JazzDagen company but would be interested in knowing more about a straight ahead line-up as well.

Thanks,

That would be my DH's feeling also. What company did you use for the straight ahead jazz cruise? We are thinking of a cruise after the San Diego Dixieland Jazz Festival with some of the performers through the JazzDagen company but would be interested in knowing more about a straight ahead line-up as well.

Thanks,

Go to: www.thejazzcruise.com They do several different kinds of jazz cruises - straight ahead is usually around Nov. 1. JazzDagen is very reputable, but mostly out of our budget - they use a lot of luxury cruise lines.

Bev

Thanks,

Go to: www.thejazzcruise.com They do several different kinds of jazz cruises - straight ahead is usually around Nov. 1. JazzDagen is very reputable, but mostly out of our budget - they use a lot of luxury cruise lines.

Bev

Another site you may want to check out is http://jazzfestatsea.com/ who has a cruise with "classic" and dixieland - lots of good swing/straight ahead people.

Bev

If I recall twinkletoes, there was a single report from someone who found themselves booked on a cruise with a jazz group. I seem to recall the poster reported that someone in the cabin next door was practicing in their cabin and it disturbed their quiet enjoyment of their cruise.

There were others on this cruise who did not hear anything from other cabins and I hardly think it was prevalent throughout the cruise. We have heard occasional instruments ( guitars) being played in cabins on several different cruise lines, while walking the halls.

If something like this bothered me, I would knock on the cabin door and ask them to stop and the problem would be solved and forgotten.

How do you know it would be solves by asking them to stop? lol

People post their experiences...the good and the bad. You seem bent on discrediting any complaints.

I don't care if there was only one person practicing his/her instrument in their cabin...if it was next to me, it would hack me off. And there's no guarantee that asking them to quit would solve the problem. And better yet, why on earth would they even think this was okay?

So because one person took the time to write a negative review...this means it's not true? Or didn't happen? Right.

I appreciate people posting the good, the bad...and the ugly. It's up to each of us to decide if this will be a problem for us or not. I do not think it's my business to try and determine if the poster is telling the truth or not. I take it at face value, and then I decide if it bothers me or not. I don't feel the need to try and discredit this poster. My post was just a heads-up to others. I know it wouldn't bother you...but it MAY bother others...and isn't this what the forum is all about? Or do you only want "positive" things said about HAL?

LOL...No negative posts allowed....because they might be not true. Only the good things need to be mentioned. Yeah, that's what I want from a cruise forum.

People post their experiences...the good and the bad. You seem bent on discrediting any complaints.

I don't care if there was only one person practicing his/her instrument in their cabin...if it was next to me, it would hack me off. And there's no guarantee that asking them to quit would solve the problem. And better yet, why on earth would they even think this was okay?

So because one person took the time to write a negative review...this means it's not true? Or didn't happen? Right.

Oh Twinkletoes, I am trying to put the issue into perspective, very different than discrediting the complaint. I have no idea why a pax would think it OK to practice an insrtument in their cabin, but I do know that people do goofy things, every day, everywhere, including on cruise ships.

I appreciate people posting the good, the bad...and the ugly. It's up to each of us to decide if this will be a problem for us or not. I do not think it's my business to try and determine if the poster is telling the truth or not. I take it at face value, and then I decide if it bothers me or not. I don't feel the need to try and discredit this poster. My post was just a heads-up to others. I know it wouldn't bother you...but it MAY bother others...and isn't this what the forum is all about? Or do you only want "positive" things said about HAL?

LOL...No negative posts allowed....because they might be not true. Only the good things need to be mentioned. Yeah, that's what I want from a cruise forum.

Now, now, children! Take what you like, and leave the rest - and this applies to cruise forums and to life in general. LOL

Grandma Bev :-)

Oh Twinkletoes, I am trying to put the issue into perspective, very different than discrediting the complaint. I have no idea why a pax would think it OK to practice an insrtument in their cabin, but I do know that people do goofy things, every day, everywhere, including on cruise ships.

You may be trying to put it in your perspective, but what doesn't matter to you, may matter to others...and that's why I posted what I did. I would have been very unhappy. It's up to other readers to decide if this would be an issue for them or not. It doesn't matter to me which way they go on this or any issue...I just put it out there for info purposes.

That's what this forum is for. Just because it's something that wouldn't bother you, doesn't mean we need for you (or anyone) to try and put things in perspective for us. I can certainly figure out what's going to make me unhappy and what won't.

Now, now, children! Take what you like, and leave the rest - and this applies to cruise forums and to life in general. LOL

Grandma Bev :-)

That's what I am trying to do...but with no success. For some reason, this poster feels she needs to "put this in perspective" for me...because only one person complained about this music incident. Like it's not true if only one person says it happened! lol

I have to say...I do take offense to your post. I know it was in jest, but the OP asked about a jazz cruise, and I merely brought up another thread concerning issues that happened on his jazz cruise. Then HB proceeds to tell me why this shouldn't be an issue...and it may not be for her, but why not let the rest of us decide for ourselves...like you suggested.

Archived