Physical/Mental Handicapped child - Which cruise Line?

shortbread

My husband and I have been wanting to take the family on a cruise (4 kids). However, our 3rd child has Cerebral Palsy. We are fortunate that he is only mildly physically and mentally handicapped (I've read on these message boards where some of you have great challenges). I am deciding between RCCL - Enchantment and Carnival -Celebration. I have three concerns. He is mobile, but will need his wheel chair. How maneuverable are the ships? HIs mental age isn't the same as physical age. Do they allow you in different age groups in the kids activities (with older brother or younger sister)? AND He does not have complete control of his bowels, and wears a Pull-Up. If I intend to have them call me to take care of any accidents, will they allow him to participate in the kids' programs? We have been waiting for years to take a cruise in the hopes that these issues would resolve themselves, but unfortunately they aren't. SO, we would like to try cruising with the knowledge that there are limitations. Any experience you can share would be WONDERFUL!

Our daughter has disabilities and she loves cruising! I can't answer specifically about the diaper issue, as we didn't cruise when she was that small, but the Carnival staff have always been very good to work with as far as age groups go - and very pleasant too. Even if your son is not able to participate in any of the Camp Carnival activities, there is still plenty to do for the family to keep busy! You might want to consider one of the newer ships that has more kids' activities - mini golf, rock climbing, etc. The last couple of cruises we've been on, my kids have not been interested in doing Camp Carnival - they've found plenty to do otherwise.

Sorry, I did realize later I didn't mention his age. He is 11 yrs old. Not a little kid (believe me, I wish the toileting wasn't an issue). His siblings are 16, 13 and 8. His older brother (16) has said he'd hang with his brother some of the time. They play xbox, playstation, computer, etc. I just didn't know if the cruise ship would allow it.

As for accessiblity the Enchantment was built about 10 yrs after the Celebration and has also already been refurbished. RCCL does offer at least one pool that has a lift into a pool and also as of November 2006 all RCCL ships will have handicap accessible tenders unlike Carnival. I use a wheelchair and have been on the Celebration and will say its not that easy to get around since it is an older ship. As for activities for your son, I am not sure. You can check out RCCL website and the special needs number is 800-722-5472 x 34492, also here is the link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do;jsessionid=0000PzStpS1Xqwbzc0WiCkk9Y3i:10ktdmnut?cS=NAVBAR

Thank you so much for the info on the wheelchair. I realized this was a multi level question, so I appreciate your response. You are giving me exactly what I wanted. Prices are cheaper on Carnival, and I get more days, but it's not worth the money if we can't get around. I'll weigh this with any other info as well. He can walk, but it is difficult and tiring, and these ships look big.

I did send an e-mail to RCCL about these issues (the phone line said they were in a meeting), but I haven't heard back yet. That's why I thought I'd try you wonderful group of people.

Thanks again for responding.

Yes, the size of the newer ships is the trade-off for the cramped quarters of the older ships! Those halls along the cabins are looooong and narrow - you feel like you walk for miles!

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update to anyone looking at this post.

We have booked the cruise on Carnival on the Celebration. It's an older ship, but they do have handicapped remodeled rooms. I was able to search Cruise Critic Boards that led me to specific information about this ship. I was able to check the demensions of the door way against his wheelchair to make sure it would fit. Isn't the internet wonderful:) .

Carnival has been so nice, they have called by travel agent (Costco) twice to make sure that we know the bathrooms have a step into them and the shower. That's not a problem for our son.

Regarding his pull-up, I've been told by a different cruise special service department to basically use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. If he wears one, no one knows. If he has an accident, then it's up to the staff whether to ignore the one incident, or have him not participate. It's worth the risk (we've improved in this area a little more).

I plan on posting how the trip goes. I hope it goes well. We leave JULY 21:D !

Hi SHortbread,

I've had Great experience with RCCL. Their Radiance family ships are beautiful & VERY accessible. The main pool & 1 hot tub have a "hoyer lift", there's plenty of elevators & disabled restrooms. I would not hesitate booking a CZ on RCCL!

:)HAPPY CRUSING:)

Fil

Archived