Heathrow Car Service

BurBunny

Traveling on my own next week (and I'm not known for underpacking), I'm reconsidering my decision to take the Heathrow Express train and then taxi to my hotel in London for my pre-cruise stay. Just seems the wrong way to start this particular sailing. I usually take care of myself and use whatever transportation, but I'm thinking of making it a bit nicer this time.

My hotel has offerd a car service for £50, but was wondering if you all had a better option. Am staying in Knightsbridge just down the street from Harrods. What do you all suggest?

My hotel has offerd a car service for £50, but was wondering if you all had a better option. Am staying in Knightsbridge just down the street from Harrods. What do you all suggest?

£50 is possibly slightly less than you would pay for a taxi - but its a while since I've taken one from Heathrow. Depending on how far you are from Harrods the Underground has a stop just next to Harrods on the Piccadilly line - direct from Heathrow - and is by far the cheapest way to do it - however, there are steps from the station to street, if you are lugging cases.

Peter

For all my other jaunts around town, the Underground is just 2-3 blocks away. However, with 2 suitcases piggy-backed (darn that Ascot hat) and my carry-ons, navigating the Tube by myself isn't sounding that attractive.

navigating the Tube by myself isn't sounding that attractive.

You could go one stop beyond Knightsbridge to Hyde Park Corner which has step free access to ground level & hail a cab from there. You will need to carry cases to platforms on both the Underground & Heathrow Express - so if this is going to be an issue, take a car or taxi. If you do take the Heathrow Express you have a 200 yard walk from the Platform to the Taxi Rank. There are trolleys available - you will need a £1 coin.

Peter

Traveling on my own next week (and I'm not known for underpacking), I'm reconsidering my decision to take the Heathrow Express train and then taxi to my hotel in London for my pre-cruise stay. Just seems the wrong way to start this particular sailing. I usually take care of myself and use whatever transportation, but I'm thinking of making it a bit nicer this time.

On the assumption that you can afford the money - and you wouldn't have asked the question if you couldn't - I'd say pay the £50 for the car.

Flying across the Atlantic is no picnic, and to get out of customs and to find a driver ready to take your luggage, whisk you to a car and then to your hotel is a good way of making things a great deal better. Apart from anything else, you will not have to get your luggage into the hotel - the next time you deal with it will be in your room.

Go for it!

Matthew

Go for it!

If you take the car service make sure they know how much luggage you have & confirm that the £50 includes any waiting due to delays etc.....

Have a great time in London!

How are you getting to Southampton?

Peter

You could go one stop beyond Knightsbridge to Hyde Park Corner which has step free access to ground level & hail a cab from there. You will need to carry cases to platforms on both the Underground & Heathrow Express - so if this is going to be an issue, take a car or taxi. If you do take the Heathrow Express you have a 200 yard walk from the Platform to the Taxi Rank. There are trolleys available - you will need a £1 coin.

That's a good idea regarding Hyde Park Corner. I'm presuming I can use the trolly from luggage claim to get to the Heathrow station (please correct me if I'm wrong) and rolling the bags isn't an issue for one station if I don't have to bother with stairs. (I travel so much with scuba and camera equipment that 2 50# or heavier bags piggy-backed + carry-ons is routine for me, though never fun.) However, with those bags, I always worry on a subway that others will look at me unfavorably as I'll be taking up more than my fair share of space. I do try to be courteous to others (even while bumping ankles as I negotiate my bags).

If there are trolleys available from the platform, then Heathrow Express also doesn't sound too bad. The fare is £14.50, but then would need a taxi from Paddington - I'm guessing another £15 or so? Am I in the neighborhood there? At that point, we're getting closer and closer to the car service fare.

Yes, of course I can afford the fare, but the question is do I want to? Whatever I don't spend on a car I get to spend on other things, and the trick is figuring out which will give me the most enjoyment. Still pondering here.

If you take the car service make sure they know how much luggage you have & confirm that the £50 includes any waiting due to delays etc.....

Have a great time in London!

How are you getting to Southampton?

Peter, I'm going to spend a couple nights also in Bath before I embark, so have arranged a car hire (yes, I know - but I want the first hand experience as my clients are always asking about it). Picking the care up in Kensington on Warwick Road then driving to Bath via Avebury, Lacock and Castle Combe. Dropping off the car in Southampton, of course.

Did I mention this is an adventure?

Appreciate this discussion and further input is encouraged as I make my final plans.

I'm presuming I can use the trolly from luggage claim to get to the Heathrow station

Yes, until the entry to the station - then its flat about 20-30 yards to the escalators down to the platforms.

However, with those bags, I always worry on a subway that others will look at me unfavorably as I'll be taking up more than my fair share of space.

You get on at the first stop so there is usually plenty of space - and the Piccadilly line carriages have space for luggage - so you should be able to get it stowed out of the way.

Peter

Heathrow Express also doesn't sound too bad. The fare is £14.50, but then would need a taxi from Paddington - I'm guessing another £15 or so? Am I in the neighborhood there? At that point, we're getting closer and closer to the car service fare.

You are about 3 miles from Paddington station (Knightsbridge station is 2.8 miles according to Google Maps). When I take a taxi from Paddington to cover a bit under 2 miles its usually £8 ~ £10 - so you'll probably be around £12 - £15.

If it was me I'd either do the car, or take the tube. Heathrow Express gives you much of the hassle of the Tube with near the expense of the Car.......

Peter

You are about 3 miles from Paddington station (Knightsbridge station is 2.8 miles according to Google Maps). When I take a taxi from Paddington to cover a bit under 2 miles its usually £8 ~ £10 - so you'll probably be around £12 - £15.

If it was me I'd either do the car, or take the tube. Heathrow Express gives you much of the hassle of the Tube with near the expense of the Car.......

Peter, as always you're wonderfully helpful. One final question - is there also an escalator down to the tube platform at Heathrow? I'd presume there's an elevator option as well (I can handle carry-ons and one piece of luggage on an escalator, but two bags piggy-backed I've not yet figured out a way to engineer that)? If that's the case, and no stairs or escalator at Hyde Park station, then Tube sounds like a good option. Otherwise, off to book the car service it is!

is there also an escalator down to the tube platform at Heathrow?

Yes, there is an escalator, and according to this site a lift also:

http://www.directenquiries.com/stationdiagram.aspx?tab=Access+Detail&Title=Ticket+Hall+to+Piccadilly+Eastbound+(Platform+1)&did=0147-0021140%2b0147-0021270_H2P&level=3

Also for Hyde Park Corner:

http://www.directenquiries.com/stationinfo.aspx?tab=Hyde+Park+Corner&companyid=74319&level=2

This shows you the various access options - some exits have ramps ( - the Knightsbridge ones), others stairs.

Peter

50 GBP is a great deal on a car service. I would say be careful to consider how many pieces of baggage you will be traveling with. British car services are very clear about amount of luggage accepted and follow their guidelines closely. If you travel heavy (more than two large cases) a seperate luggage van will be necessary. Best to double check and have no surprises.

I agree that 50 quid is a good price. I stay at a hotel near Harrods in Knightsbridge and they wanted a lot more for car service. I would urge you to be cautious because you get what you pay for. Others on this site have recommended Woolford Car Service (I think that is the spelling). I used them and they were a bit more than your quote but had outstanding and RELIABLE service. Anyway, I think it does depend on how much luggage you have. You do not want to take the tube or the train if you have several pieces of luggage. If you have one piece and can lift it then, by all means, take the tube. If you have more than one then some type of door to door service is MUCH more convenient. After everything is said and done will you miss the money is a year or two? Have a great trip.

After everything is said and done will you miss the money is a year or two? Have a great trip.

Great point! I like that philosophy.

I'd hope since the hotel is arranging the car that it would be reliable - after all, they want me to arrive and in a good mood, right?

Mind if I ask the hotel? I'm staying at the Claverly.

We have and are staying at the Rembrandt Hotel on Cromwell Road. I would be curious how you like your hotel. Have you stayed there before? I can't seem to locate it although the name sounds familiar. Is that the exact name?

The Claverly Hotel on Beaufort Gardens is the full name. Web site is http://www.claverleyhotel.co.uk/. Address is 13-14 Beaufort Gardens, Knightsbridge. Comes with good reviews both on TripAdvisor and Rick Steves and seemed comfortable and easy for a solo female traveler. Will report back on my return.

Also didn't pull the game of quoting me one price through email whilst offering a lower price on their web site.

The Rembrandt looks lovely!

Thanks for the info. We have stayed at the Knightsbridge Hotel on Beaufort Gardens. Its a great spot and area. For a reasonably priced meal try the Bunches of Grapes(upstairs) nearby on the main road. We always stay in Knightsbridge, love Beauchamp Place, several OK resturants and nice stores (shops). If you have any recommendations we would appreciate.

Archived