Just a little helpful tip for parents

cruisinqt

Just a heads up for some of you parents out there. I was thinking back to our first cruise. It was in the winter and we brought along our kids. The cruise turned out to be a blast!:) But now, when I think back about it, there was a crisis of sorts right before we sailed on our cruise. When I went to pack, the sandals that had fit my kids earlier that summer were now too little. It may have just been a few months since they'ed worn the sandals, but kids feet grow fast! And my children did not have sandals now for the cruise. And to make matters worse, none of the local stores had sandals either because it was well into the winter.:(

So my suggestion to you would be to buy all of your summer type things right now before summer is over. I have already bought extra swimsuits, sandals, sunscreen, sunburn relief cream, sun hats, beach safe to keep valuables dry, and anything else I can think of that is sold only in the summer. There are many things that you will need while on the beach on vacation that will not be available in the local stores pretty soon. Summer is coming to an end soon and school will be starting back. Take my advice and get your summer related stuff now.:)

I now make it a habit to buy an extra pair of sandals at least a half size larger for each of my children. I put them away for our cruise. If we don't need them, then they come in handy for the following summer. And I have the peace of mind knowing that I am prepared for everything, even a "sandals are too small" crisis.:D

I was just thinking about this. We are bringing our 13 month old along in October and I'm not sure what size she'll be in at the time. We were at Old Navy and they are having a huge clearance sale. I bought a few thing and am just hoping she can wear them. She is very long (31 inches at 10 1/2 months!) so I hope her dresses aren't shirts by then!

Very good tip!! Something I would have never thought of as we live in Florida where swimsuits, sandals, beachstuff, etc. are sold year round - I forget that doesn't happen everywhere!

I tend to wait till the last minute for cruise shopping so I always end up forgetting to buy something. I've taken a vow for this next cruise to not make that mistake!!

I just bought sandals on clearance at JCPenney - for about 7.00/pair for my 4 year old and 1-1/2 year old. We are cruising in January. I bought multiples of the same shoe in different sizes. If you keep your receipt, they will refund the ones that don't fit at the time.

I also bought summer clothes on clearance at Gymboree for my 1-1/2 year old. They have a 6 month policy for returns.

There is nothing more frustrating than needing summer stuff in the winter and not being able to find it.

This is a great suggestion, even if you're not traveling with small kids. Our first cruise was last January. When we left, it was the middle of an inversion that traps the cold, smoggy, foggy air in the Salt Lake valley. While we were very glad to leave, there was no sunscreen or bug repellent to be found. They kept telling us that it would be put on the shelves the first of February.

In addition, my DH and I wanted water shoes -- none to be found, anywhere. I hate to think what would have happened if we'd needed new swimming suits.

You're right ute fan, this suggestion is good for everyone, not just people with kids. And water shoes is one of the things we bought but forgot to mention. I'm glad you mentioned it. They come in handy on some excursions, especially if you're river rafting or going tubing.:D

If anyone can think of anything else to add to the list of things only found in the summer, please add it to this thread. Even though I've cruised before, I always forget some item that I can only buy in the summer time.:(

• 2 weeks later...

You are so right about buying now! We will be traveling with our 8 yr old son and 3 yr old daughter in Dec 2004 on the Coral Princess. I am so afraid my daughter is not going to be wearing her summer outfits by then. So I am buying shorts sets and dresses a size bigger then what she would normally wear. All with elastic in the waist. I may have purchase a new swimming suit for her . But now is the time to save big on summer clothes.

Archived