Thinking of Sailing with Carnival

Of all the Carnival ships listed I would take the Legend.

By the way the only Carnival ships with the Supper Clubs on your list is the Legend and Valor.

I agree with Gordon here! The Triumph and Valor are older ships and seem to be showing some wear even after they've been refurbished. And definately stay away from the Destiny! We had horrible service and have heard the same thing echo'd from many others.

I agree with Gordon here! The Triumph and Valor are older ships and seem to be showing some wear even after they've been refurbished. And definately stay away from the Destiny! We had horrible service and have heard the same thing echo'd from many others.

Valor was launched late fall of 2004, so it is not even 3 years old.. And to my knowledge it has not been refurbished at all.

I have cruised Carnival several times with my kids. They absolutely love it! They keep asking when we're' going again. (They don't know I have one planned in July.) If I were you I would try it to see if I like it. Actually, that's what I'm doing with RCCL. My first cruise with them is next week.

We have sailed many lines. When Carnival Pride came to Pt Canaveral, we did a 3 day cruise and loved it, so booked a 7 day. We had a great time and loved the food and service.

I then, mistakenly, talked 10 others into going on Carnival Triumph. It was the biggest disaster. The food was awful, the service in the dining room was the worst I have ever had on over 50 cruises.

I might chance Carnival again, but not on Triumph or any one of it's class. Because of all our previous Carnival cruises, we get great rates on Carnival, but I would give them up in a heartbeat for RCCL.

To us, it would depend on the prices and offerings. We loved the supper club on Pride. It was our first dinner in a supper club. I still compare the other ships specialty restaurants to our first dinner on Carnival. They all don't shine like that one did, but the rest of the ships services outweigh Carnival.

Only you can make the decision as to what is best, but I would try Carnival---maybe just once.

Katie

I would also recommend Carnival's Spirit Class ships. Unless, of course, you can wait for their new Splendor class (next year). Just pulled the trigger last night for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Splendor next year. 122,000 grt and only 2850 guests. The spa is magnificant, with a Thelasotherapy pool. But if your cruising soon, Spirit class is the way to go. We started on RCI and were afraid of Carnival too, because of hearsay. Glad we tried it for ourselves and found out how it really is. Not number one on our list, but good prices and itineraries that you don't get bored with. Wouldn't go on their Fantasy class ships again. But I think they'll be phasing those out as the Splendor class ships come online over the next 4 years. Happy sailing, whatever you choose.

Hi, have just recently returned from my first cruise on Carnival Freedom, last week I was on a cruise on RCI Splendour of the Seas, out of these two cruises Freedom was far superior, that said the entertainment on both was disappointing.

Our waiter on Freedom/Maitre D on Carnival was fantastic, the waiter on SOS was awful.

I would definitely try Carnival again if the price was right, although Celebrity is still my favourite.

You are comparing a 70,000 ton 11 year old ship to a 110,000 ton 2 month old ship.

It's worth trying another line. Don't be surprised if you are disappointed.

If RCCL was the same price as Carnival for Europe I would be cruising with them.

Mary

I would also recommend Carnival's Spirit Class ships. Unless, of course, you can wait for their new Splendor class (next year). Just pulled the trigger last night for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Splendor next year. 122,000 grt and only 2850 guests. The spa is magnificant, with a Thelasotherapy pool. But if your cruising soon, Spirit class is the way to go. We started on RCI and were afraid of Carnival too, because of hearsay. Glad we tried it for ourselves and found out how it really is. Not number one on our list, but good prices and itineraries that you don't get bored with. Wouldn't go on their Fantasy class ships again. But I think they'll be phasing those out as the Splendor class ships come online over the next 4 years. Happy sailing, whatever you choose.

Actually the new Carnvial Splendor will only be 113,300 tons and will hold 3006 passengers at double occupancy. She will be nothing more than a slightly modified Conquest class ship. Those figures that you gave above are for the new Celebrity ships being built at the moment. For anyone wanting to see what she will look like, take a look at the Costa Concordia or the new Costa Serena. The ship will be the same design only with the Carnival whale tail funnel.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Onboard_Activities/Splendor-Onboard_Exp.aspx

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Shopping/Ships/CO/default.htm

Valor is only a few years old, we had a BLAST on her. I had absolutely no complaints about that cruise.

I have to agree with the previous posters about Destiny. The ship needs a complete overhaul and the food and service was horrible.

I am 'lurking' over on this board because I am considering RCI for my next cruise (not until next year). Give Valor a try, I think you will like her.

Carnival Legend was my first cruise and I loved it!! Still my best cruise to date but maybe I am partial to it because it was my first cruise! She is a great ship though and I did not find it to be a "big party" either. We also ate at the Supper Club there and I thought it was great! Good luck! :)

Been on 3 Carnival cruises and now I do not think I will be back to them. I enjoy RCI so much more. The ships are not gaudy. I did Triumph twice, and Miracle once. Now that is one ugly ship. Very plastic looking. The major differences that we found: CCL, too smokey in too many areas, main theater has bar service the entire show and the waitstaff walk in and out of the main level rows serving. Much more drinks being pushed on you over and over on the sun deck and in the theater. The pluses are a bit larger cabin but we still like RCI better;; more usable space, nicer balcony door. On CCL it is open shut, on RCI it is a sliding door so you can leave open to hear the ocean without a bungee cord or a chair holding the door open. Lots more storage space on RCI cabins too. Service was fine on both with a tad nicer on RCI. I really hated the everynight dancing of the waiters on CCL. Enough was enough seeing them shake their booty and walk around the room. The main shows were great on CCL and the adult comedy was more frequent on CCL than RCI. Much louder ship too, and when you go to sleep we always hear noises in the hall ways on CCL. On RCI we wonder why we never hear anyone. I love the art on RCI and enjoy walking in the halls of each deck to see them all. On CCL it is garish. There are more activities on RCI with the Voyager class ship, and even the Radiance class in comparison to any CCL ship. Having those options make the sea days fun! With good sailing date, and a good TA you will get discounts in obc to book with TAs. This with a crown and anchor coupon or a happy hour special bring the RCI rates to almost the same as any CCL ship. We did 2 CCL and then One RCI and then back to CCL when I decided no more... I just like the RCI more. CCL is not just young people either. It is like RCI and they always said the median age was in the mid 50's. SO it is a misconception that it is the young persons choice. But it is a louder more drinking crowd. That is noticable. I like the layouts of the RCI ships better too. The flow of people work better. On CCL you always have to go up and across and down to get places...drove me batty! But, it is still a cruise..and you need to find out on your own. You know to each his own and this applies here.Oh another big difference is this: On CCL they were always picking on people in the audience with the spot light. People hid on the other decks and they still picked them out and made them stand and do stupid things. I ahted that. i want to go and enjoy watching a show. Not being the show. I found this true on all 3 CCL cruises. Made me feel very uncomfortable each show and I was nervous about when the Cruise director came out to warm up the audience. He seemed to pick all the more reserved people who did not want the spotlight on them. It was very unsettling.

Actually the new Carnvial Splendor will only be 113,300 tons and will hold 3006 passengers at double occupancy. She will be nothing more than a slightly modified Conquest class ship. Those figures that you gave above are for the new Celebrity ships being built at the moment.
Thanks for the correction, Gator. I'm also looking at booking on Celebrity's Solstice, and had that on the brain.

So many ships, so little time.

Our first 2 cruises were on Carnival, and DW and I enjoyed them tremendously. Like other posters here have stated, it's still a cruise! But there are differences. Carnival's decor seemed a a lot more LOUD, keeping in the tradition of being the "Fun Ships" I guess. The cabins we had were a bit larger on Carnival than the one we had on RCCL's Rhapsody. We found the Dining Room more elegant on RCCL but we sure love the warm chocolate melting cake on Carnival!

The pax seemed to be slightly older and slightly more sedate on RCCL. They weren't fuddy-duddies, just a little less "let's party every single day."

Anyway, DW and I have become cruise obsessed. In order to maximize our cruise expenses, we will probably book cruises on both lines. Sometimes we'll splurge on a balcony on RCCL, and sometimes to save a little, we'll just book an inside. We've booked a balcony on AOS for next February and we are considering booking an inside on Carnival Conquest for December or January. It's all a matter of preference and your own personal tastes. Go Ahead,try a Carnival, but don't go into it expecting the worst or you'll definitely find it!

Archived