One More Try...please Tell Me About Cat 9a

TCF

Asked this a couple of days ago, but got no response.

I can't find anything out about the cat 9A cabins on the Carnival website other than on the deck plans they look to be the size of a Cat 11...they are aft cabins...they are peculiar shapes...and they are cheaper than Cat 11s.

Can anyone tell us if they think a Cat 9A is a reasonable choice when compared to Cat 11. We have sailed in Cat 11 before and loved them.

Thanks.

Tom&Deb:)

I've booked a 9a on the Spirit for August, and my comments are limited to Spirit Class ships only:

Pros:

1. The cabins are big : almost (but not quite) as big as a cat 11.

2. The extended balcony is deeper than a regular balcony (and some cat 11 balconies), and therefore has room for lounger-type chairs.

3. Although next to the elevator, the rooms are reportedly very quiet.

4. Because the cabin is near the elevator-stairs, it is very convenient to get around.

5. Most reports here on cat 9s are VERY positive.

Cons:

1. The 9a cabins on the upper deck will have an obstructed view, blocked by lifeboats.

2. In cabins higher than the upper deck, if you lean over the rail and look straight down, you see the lifeboat and not water.

3. You can't lean out and see all the way to the front or back of the ship, because some other balconies jut out a few feet more. Many cat 11s have this same view.

4. No priority boarding like cat 11s

5. They are located aft, and may not be as bump-free as midship cabins.

The Conquest class and Destiny/Triumph class ships have aft corner wraps that are 9As and have large balconies. On Spirit class ships those are 11s. I think they're all worth what they cost, particularly if you can get an off-peak (former) military rate. I currently have three cruises booked, all in Carnival corner wraps.

My husband and I had a 9A (7440)on the Glory a couple weeks ago. We probably won't again. Don't get me wrong, the cabin and balcony were great. The view was great. We just felt the balcony was larger than we needed. We also had a problem every morning, waking up to food and drink debris on our balcony. It came from deck 10. One evening I was standing with my back to the railing looking up at the ship, and saw someone break a glass of some sort and the chards rained down on the aft balconies next to us.

Also, not a negative, but keep in mind that every night, they wash the windows of the Lido deck, and you balcony gets quite wet. Don't leave anything out there overnight.

We're booking a suite for our next cruise. ;)

One more thing... it seemed as though we felt the ship rolling (a lot) more than we did last year when we were midship.

Here are my pictures of 6452 on the Glory. It is a 9A wrap.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558729723OJLOMs

Our preference is a 9A corner aft over a suite. We have not stayed in a 9A mid-ship. Movement was not an issue for us. There was an occasional piece of trash that made it's way down to our balcony, but we either picked it up or mentioned it to our steward. (I think an ice cream cone was in the corner one afternoon...a little sticky) For us, it is well worth any small issues, we love being on the aft and having the huge balcony!

We have stayed in the 9A's the last three cruises and always request not to be upgraded to a suite as we love these cabins. I do not know of any 9A that has an obstructed view. If you would like I can email you my pictures of the cabin on the Veranda deck as well as the one on the Empress. Friends of ours had the Upper deck 9A below us and there were no life boats anywhere near the cabin. Linda

ldavison@twcny.rr.com

Didn't understand that these cabins were different on each class of ship...which is why there is so little information on the website about them.

I will email Linda for her photos..she has them from 2 ships..and make a decision from all the info and photos you folks have so kindly provided.

We really like cat 11s so it would have to be some cabin for us to want to move!

Again thanks for the information and I apologize for making the question harder to answer that had to be.

Didn't understand that these cabins were different on each class of ship...which is why there is so little information on the website about them.

I will email Linda for her photos..she has them from 2 ships..and make a decision from all the info and photos you folks have so kindly provided.

We really like cat 11s so it would have to be some cabin for us to want to move!

Again thanks for the information and I apologize for making the question harder to answer that had to be.

If you are sailing on a Spirit Class ship and interested on a 9a, cabin 7301 is a very nice cabin.

Fred

We have stayed in the 9A's the last three cruises and always request not to be upgraded to a suite as we love these cabins. I do not know of any 9A that has an obstructed view. If you would like I can email you my pictures of the cabin on the Veranda deck as well as the one on the Empress. Friends of ours had the Upper deck 9A below us and there were no life boats anywhere near the cabin. Linda

ldavison@twcny.rr.com

Hey Linda.....just popping in to say 'Thank You So So Much':D for helping me choose my 9A Stateroom. It is the best balcony stateroom I have ever had. My DH loved it too. We were on the Carnival Valor Stateroom 8448. Only one day did we have any debris on our balcony. It was only those little umbrellas from the Foo Foo drinks.....nothing to really complain about:p. All I can say we will be sad if we won't be able to book another one of those 9A's on our next cruises....LOL. My SIL and DH was right next door in 8450...they also had a good size balcony too.

Thanks again for sharing that information....Donna

So glad you liked the cabin, that is my favorite 9A also. I had to book the Empress deck 9A on my last cruise because the Veranda one was already gone, 8448 is much bigger room and balcony, not that the Empress one is small even the Upper deck 9A room was bigger then ours there balcony was shorter but a lot wider then Empress. They are all nice and I would book anyone in a minute. Hope you get your room next cruise. Linda

• 1 month later...

We had a 9A on the Pride, room 7301 and loved it. The room was huge, the balcony was great. The extra size was perfect for a family of four. There was no noise and there was no trash from the cabins above. I would recommend it again and again and I would book it again and again. We sailed with friends that we jealous of our cabin and the space.

MexicanCruise6-17-07bunksmadeup.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07bedwithmirror.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07closet.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07mainbedandtv.jpg

• 2 years later...
We had a 9A on the Pride, room 7301 and loved it. The room was huge, the balcony was great. The extra size was perfect for a family of four. There was no noise and there was no trash from the cabins above. I would recommend it again and again and I would book it again and again. We sailed with friends that we jealous of our cabin and the space.

MexicanCruise6-17-07bunksmadeup.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07bedwithmirror.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07closet.jpg

MexicanCruise6-17-07mainbedandtv.jpg

Ok let me start by saying i have been reading and reading these review for countless hours about the 8g and 9a cabins , i currently have 8g cabin 8355 booked on the Carnival Destiny for october 24, 2009 on a 5 night cruise to the western carribean. I think according to what i have read i currently have one of the best 8g cabins as far as location and size however im looking to make it even better if possible currently almost all of the 9a cabins are still available i want to know if its worth spending the extra 500.00 to upgrade to a 9a and should i even consider a suite i love the idea of the vip check in but sounds like the aft wraps are even better than the suites well please let me know what u think of the 9as and suits and if so which one would u guys reccomend on getting the noise above on lido doesnt bother me im still pretty young so im one of the last to go to bed and still first to get up but love having the best of the best and havnt had anything before but a side balcony cabin so any input on what i should do would be greatly appreciated ?

Ok let me start by saying i have been reading and reading these review for countless hours about the 8g and 9a cabins , i currently have 8g cabin 8355 booked on the Carnival Destiny for october 24, 2009 on a 5 night cruise to the western carribean. I think according to what i have read i currently have one of the best 8g cabins as far as location and size however im looking to make it even better if possible currently almost all of the 9a cabins are still available i want to know if its worth spending the extra 500.00 to upgrade to a 9a and should i even consider a suite i love the idea of the vip check in but sounds like the aft wraps are even better than the suites well please let me know what u think of the 9as and suits and if so which one would u guys reccomend on getting the noise above on lido doesnt bother me im still pretty young so im one of the last to go to bed and still first to get up but love having the best of the best and havnt had anything before but a side balcony cabin so any input on what i should do would be greatly appreciated ?

I wouldnt pay more than $300 to upgrade from an 8g on destiny to a 9a for a 5 night cruise. Didn't seem to matter though because carnival wants over $800 more and they aren't budging. :eek:

Didn't seem to matter though because carnival wants over $800 more and they aren't budging. :eek:

if there's still a bunch like you previously reported - with only 9 days out, i bet they'll be willing to budge any time now ;)

Is there just a huge difference in particular ships or sailing dates for the price of 9A's? I'm sure that there is a difference, but everyone always talks about how much more expensive 9A's are. I booked a 9A in June for a Jan. 3 2010 7 day on Valor. The price was like less than $200 more pp for the 9A vs the cheapest balcony(sorry I forgot the cat. 8A?) When you say $800 more, how many people is that? I only paid $799 pp for my 9A to begin with. Just curious if people are saying that 9A's are so much more are comparing that price to a regular balcony or maybe an inside room.

There's still six showing. I'm ready to give them the big madshakefist.gif

DId it !!!! Cat 9a cabin 8328 on the destiny october 24, 2009 is no longer available thanks to me haha , i really hope i picked the right one , i went with the port side aft wrap becaue i figured the views port side may be better for the itenerary who knows if for some reason someone thinks 8333 is a better choice if not feel free to let me know any of you if u think i made a great choice on getting the one i did

happy sails

DId it !!!! Cat 9a cabin 8328 on the destiny october 24, 2009 is no longer available thanks to me haha , i really hope i picked the right one , i went with the port side aft wrap becaue i figured the views port side may be better for the itenerary who knows if for some reason someone thinks 8333 is a better choice if not feel free to let me know any of you if u think i made a great choice on getting the one i did

happy sails

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them...they are awesome.

Archived