Travelers checks ?????????

a lot of places don't accept travellers cheques anymore..they're kind of old fashioned & I think a lot of vendors are afraid of home-made photocopies... cash is easy to come by (bank machines (including real "bank" versions are all over the place) and most everywhere accepts the major credit cards.

as for specific places - you're best emailing or calling them directly. Grouse mountain does say that they do accept them on their website. http://www.grousemountain.com/rat_adm.cfm

I disagree with the above poster. I use traveller's cheques and I have never had a problem cashing them in the US or Canada. Though, I do always have credit cards and some cash as a backup.

Most merchants will take your traveller's cheque in Canada along with proper ID. The newest traveller's cheques have clear markings and holograms to ensure their authenticity.

As for US funds, most merchants will take them, but with a disfavourable exchange rate. Walk into most major banks and they will gladly cash them for you with a more favourable exchange rate.

You can also get some traveller's cheque today as a debit card that can be used without ID. The card appears to be a credit card to merchants, plus it can be used at certain ATMs to withdraw cash. American Express, MasterCard and Visa issue these cards in the US. In Canada, only MasterCard appears to, via Travelax.

(CAD and USD are the only currencies that are easily cashed in Canada. Other currencies are usually only cashed at some very specific branches of the major banks and change houses, which have horrible rates.)

Smaller outfits on the coast are indeed hesitant about Travelers cheques but main stream shops you will have no problem with proper ID. Lots of smaller places are also not taking $50.00 (and up) bills. Too much funny money around.

Your credit card is still best idea.

I agree about using your credit card - right now, it's in your favour to do so with the exchange rate (but our dollar is very strong right now - finally!). You could apply the money to your credit card account before you go away, and then use the credit card for most major purchases.

Having said that, you did ask about US traveller's checks. ;) Honestly, if I was you I wouldn't use them here. I know you are getting conflicting advice in this thread, but counterfeit money and bank cards are a huge problem right now, and I suspect you may have trouble using your US travellers checks in stores. You can certainly cash them in at banks, though; I don't know if you would be charged a fee. Sometimes, there is a fee to buy them, but I don't know about cashing them.

The Traveler's Cheques were a problem for a while...but now they have installed various anti-counterfeiting measures the confidence in them has returned. So using them won't be a real problem.

However, as has been acurately pointed out, you will take a hosing from small merchants on the exchange rate, which in any event is not all that much in your favour to begin with now. (Our $ is the strongest it has been against the US$ in 30 years!)

If you use your debit card or a credit card you will avoid the hassle of Traveler's Cheques...get a fair exchange rate from your bank...and in the end have a lot less hassle.

Just my thoughts.

Tom:)

We travel extensively and often go through airports in the US on the way. We have gotten into the habit of always having some Canadian cash as well as US cash with us, perhaps $100 each and some additional funds in the currency of the country we will spend the most time in. The rest we carry in Travellers cheques in the currency of the country we are spending the most time in. You can also do a VISA cash card through CAA/AAA

We worry less about what is the cheapest and go with what is simple so we are not stressing and overthinking everything, after all you are usually saving very little.

You may not like the exchange rate on US travellers cheques in Canada, so I would be prepared with some CAD cash or CAD travellers cheques. You can cash the Visa travellers cheques and also American Express relatively easily with additional ID, worst case scenario go to a bank if need be.

Have an incredible trip! Welcome to Canada!

Dee

Archived