Skagway Rail/Bus Tour

mkd1

Can anyone compare the WPR/Yukon/Lake Bennett/Emerald Lake Tour offered by Shoretrips as opposed to Chilkoot Tours? Looking for the best once-in-a-lifetime experience. Feel like I'm shooting in the dark. . .

Thanks!

Chilkoot Charters is the tour operator (along with the railroad). Shoretrips is a booking agency.

**I just looked at the excursion offered by Shoretrips for $225/adult. It's $219 through Chilkoot Charters.

I went on the Southeast Deluxe Yukon Bus Tour and we had a wonderful time. We stopped at all the lakes and all the picture stops and we went dogsledding/pan for gold/Atv. It was about 150 a person!

We rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon. It was much cheaper and we were free to stop when and where we wanted to stop. The total cost for 4 of us was less than $100 plus the cost of lunch. It is a great way to see all of the sights that you would see on the train/bus trip.

Lilrere

Which company did you book that tour with?

Southeast tours. It was a smaller company but we enjoyed it.

I did hear some complaints from people who did the Whitepass train because they were unable to get off the train and take pics. On the bus you stop multiple times and our driver would stop and point out wildlife and of course we stopped for lots of pictures! :o

Can anyone compare the WPR/Yukon/Lake Bennett/Emerald Lake Tour offered by Shoretrips as opposed to Chilkoot Tours? Looking for the best once-in-a-lifetime experience. Feel like I'm shooting in the dark. . .

As has been said, Chilkoot Tours is the operator for that trip. You can see what the rail section looked like last week at http://www.railsnorth.com/carcross-skagway2007.html and the highway route at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Looking for the best once-in-a-lifetime experience, you won't be disappointed in that trip!

Murray

As has been said, Chilkoot Tours is the operator for that trip. You can see what the rail section looked like last week at http://www.railsnorth.com/carcross-skagway2007.html and the highway route at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Looking for the best once-in-a-lifetime experience, you won't be disappointed in that trip!

Murray

Unfortunately I'm disappointed! We aren't in Skagway until Sept 18th and they stop offering this option on Sept 16th as I understand it. No AVIS rentals after the 15th and no extended train after the 16th. :( Ah, well, I guess I have to look at the bright side of things... I should get some good deals in port on end of season souveniers! :D

Southeast tours. It was a smaller company but we enjoyed it.

I did hear some complaints from people who did the Whitepass train because they were unable to get off the train and take pics. On the bus you stop multiple times and our driver would stop and point out wildlife and of course we stopped for lots of pictures! :o

I don't understand why anyone would complain about the train not stopping.

You can take pictures from the transom anytime. Our first was a rountrip and DH shared it with 4 - 6 others on the way up, but the way back he had it mostly to himself. I guess the others were too cold. :)

On our buss/rr trip he spent 99% of his time out there, mostly to himself, others would just pop out then in. Very cold

Murray - thanks for the great photo essay! Everyone raves about this trip, but that's the first group of photos I've seen that totally describe what the trip is about! I have a group of "Southerners" that have the mini-van chartered thru Chilkoot Charters on June 18th going up to Carcross, back to Frazer and then riding the train back to Skagway. Will we still see snow on any portion of the trip, or will it all be melted by then. It looked pretty deep in the pass. :eek: What can we expect and what should we make certain not to miss. I'm sure we can stop that van whenever we wish.

Thanks again for the gorgeous photos!

Macy

Unfortunately I'm disappointed! We aren't in Skagway until Sept 18th and they stop offering this option on Sept 16th as I understand it. No AVIS rentals after the 15th and no extended train after the 16th. :( Ah, well, I guess I have to look at the bright side of things... I should get some good deals in port on end of season souveniers! :D

We've got the same problems - we're in Skagway on Sept. 21st - no Avis (Sourdough is too risky for us), no Lake Bennett:(. Just a good reason to plan the next Alaska trip!!;) Have you checked into the shorter Chilkoot trip ($165 per person)? It does get to Emerald Lake etc. We're considering that one, better than just the train alone - and enough time left over for the all the end of season sales!

Murray - thanks for the great photo essay! Everyone raves about this trip, but that's the first group of photos I've seen that totally describe what the trip is about! I have a group of "Southerners" that have the mini-van chartered thru Chilkoot Charters on June 18th going up to Carcross, back to Frazer and then riding the train back to Skagway. Will we still see snow on any portion of the trip, or will it all be melted by then. It looked pretty deep in the pass. :eek: What can we expect and what should we make certain not to miss. I'm sure we can stop that van whenever we wish.

Youre welcome, Macy :) There will still be LOTS of snow when you get here - several feet of it at the Summit. Everybody has their own idea of what are "must"s - the husky puppies at Caribou Crossing may well fit into that category for your group, but I almost never make the drive without stopping at the beach at Tutshi Lake for a few minutes, and the Alaska and Yukon signs are great for the photographers in the group.

Murray

Archived