David & Ivan?

fivesenuff5

The lunch is not included in the 4-hour regular tour to Chacchoben; it's a separate tour called The Mayan Experience, and it costs extra. When we took this tour, there were three vans going to Chacchoben, with folks on both the 4-hour tour and the Mayan Experience tour. After visiting the ruins, one van went to the village for lunch and one returned directly to Majahual. The third van - ours - dropped us off in the village and then returned to Majahual with the folks who weren't staying for lunch. At most, I think the folks who took the detour to the village with us lost maybe 1/2 hour of time in Majahual.

We took this tour on the 6/24 sailing. David did a great job. There were a couple of issues in logistics. The confirmation said to take a bus to the city and also said they are now at the terminal. They were at the terminal but were somewhat difficult to find. One group actually went to town per the confirmation and couldn't find them and ended up coming back. When we found them (in front of the terminal near the local transportation counter) they told us we needed to pay the $3.00 per person charge for the trip to the city. I think that was to appease the local union as we left directly from the terminal. As I said, David did a wonderful job. He obviously knows the area like the back of his hand. Our 14 year old did get a little bored but he's 14; he's bored anywhere theres not an Xbox. There was no vote on stopping to eat. We asked to be dropped at town and it was no problem; about 1/4 of the bus went to town and the rest went back to the terminal.

We just got back from the Legend last week. We did the Mayan experience w/ David of Native's Choice. This included the Chacchoban ruins tour and then we went to the village for an authentic lunch and tortilla making lessons. This was our fav tour of the trip. David is incredible. We were a group of 5 from 13 to 78y/o. David was waiting for us right at the pier. We were 30 minutes late but he was waiting. We rode in a comfortable AC van w/ a driver and David telling us stories and history all the way. I was a little worried about getting back "what ifs" until I saw his hi tech cell phone and radio. He also mentioned that he had connections at the port. The lunch at the village was fascinating. The family dressed up in their native costumes and made the most delicious meal. It was fun making the tortillas. We had taken our swim suits and still had time to hit a few shops and swim at the port.

where did you swim at the port was there a beach ?

Andy

where did you swim at the port was there a beach ?

Andy

They probably swam in the big pool at the port.

The pictures I have found online, the beach right at the pier looks extremely rocky. (unlike in Majuhual)

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did the Chacchoben ruins tour with Ivan in Sept. 2006, and there were 2 kids in our group of ~10 that day. I would guess that they were between 7 to 9 years old. I felt that Ivan did a good job of pointing out things that the kids seemed interested in, such as the different kind of plants, berries, etc. He stopped once and pointed out an allspice plant, and explained how the chemicals in the plant were used as an anesthetic by the locals. He showed one of the kids how to break the leaf open and dab it onto his tongue. About 30 seconds later the kids tongue started to get a bit numb, and he seemed to think that was pretty cool.

We're headed back to Costa Maya this September, and plan on taking another tour with David and Ivan.

I reviewed the tour itself with the rest of my trip at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7825875&postcount=19

Hi, my family of 4 which is DH, DS13, and DS9 are booked on David's and Ivan's Chacchoben Extreme Tour when we go to costa maya in November. This tour is 5.5 hrs long the description says they go to the ruins and then to a lagoon called Laguna Azul. My question is has anyone ever done this tour with them? Was there enough time before getting on the ship to shop at the shopping are near cruise ships? Is it worth paying the extra money to go to Laguna Azul? And last but not least does anyone have any pictures I can see and show my kids and hubby. He is so looking forward to this, he has always wanted to go see ruins. Thank you in advance for any feedback:D :D :D

Hi, my family of 4 which is DH, DS13, and DS9 are booked on David's and Ivan's Chacchoben Extreme Tour when we go to costa maya in November. This tour is 5.5 hrs long the description says they go to the ruins and then to a lagoon called Laguna Azul. My question is has anyone ever done this tour with them? Was there enough time before getting on the ship to shop at the shopping are near cruise ships? Is it worth paying the extra money to go to Laguna Azul? And last but not least does anyone have any pictures I can see and show my kids and hubby. He is so looking forward to this, he has always wanted to go see ruins. Thank you in advance for any feedback:D :D :D

I have Chacchoben ruins photos, although we didn't go to Laguna Azul (we did the Mayan Experience tour instead). They're at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD

nybumpkin--How did you like the Mayan experience part of the tour? Was it worth it? Was the food good? We're thinking of doing that this year, but since we've already done the Chacchoben ruins part of the tour, we want to make sure the Mayan experience part is cool.

If anyone else has done any of David and Ivan's tours other than just the Chacchoben ruins, I would love to know how you enjoyed it and to hear your experiences.

EMMOM--I can't speak for nybumpkin, but last September when we went, they had a thin yellow rope that was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the large temple (Temple 24) beyond which you could not pass. They probably don't want to have to make sure that the upper parts of the temple are safe to walk on (and don't want people to destroy them in the process).

Here are a couple resources you might find helpful:

Map of Costa Maya, including the route to the Chacchoben Ruins

Photos from my Grandeur cruise showing Costa Maya and the Ruins

The satellite data is low resolution, so you can only zoom in a little. Hopefully one day Google will add in some high resolution photos and we will be able to see the pier and Mahahual, as well as the Chacchoben ruins in more detail.

Theron

We will be on the Fantasy, and they arrive on Costa Maya at noon. Do David and Ivan have specific times that they do these excursions. I emailed them about this yesterday but haven't heard back. What are the times of the 4 hour tour??

nybumpkin--How did you like the Mayan experience part of the tour? Was it worth it? Was the food good? We're thinking of doing that this year, but since we've already done the Chacchoben ruins part of the tour, we want to make sure the Mayan experience part is cool.

If anyone else has done any of David and Ivan's tours other than just the Chacchoben ruins, I would love to know how you enjoyed it and to hear your experiences.

EMMOM--I can't speak for nybumpkin, but last September when we went, they had a thin yellow rope that was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the large temple (Temple 24) beyond which you could not pass. They probably don't want to have to make sure that the upper parts of the temple are safe to walk on (and don't want people to destroy them in the process).

We really enjoyed visiting Chacchoben village. It's about a 20 min-1/2 hour ride from the ruins. There were about 16 total visiting the village. When we arrived, the family greeted us warmly (my oldest son scored big points by greeting them in Spanish). We then had a tortilla-making lesson with one of the women, while the other women brought out the lunch. Everyone who wanted to try had a chance to make tortillas - it's not as easy as they make it look! They were also the best tortillas I've ever had. Lunch was a chicken stew, rice with vegetables, "Mayan sushi" (it's vegetables and rice, no fish), all the tortillas you can eat, fresh fruit and fruit tarts for dessert, and an iced tea made from hibiscus (yummy!) There was more than enough for everyone to have seconds (or thirds). Everything was prepared with purified water, and we had no worries about what we ate or drank.

Two of the children - a boy about 10 and a girl about 16 - then demonstrated local dances. We then toured the outside area of the home (you do not see the inside); one of the men showed us Mayan artifacts they found right in the yard, and they showed us "hills" that most likely are unexcavated ruins. All of the family members were very willing to talk about life in Chacchoben. They speak Mayan and Spanish; they use Spanish with the tour groups, and the guide translates.

I should mention that we did this tour with our sons, then aged 15, 10 and 7. All of them did very well with the tour and we really appreciated the opportunity to have them experience a tour like this.

EMMOM - aclight is correct, there is a yellow rope part way up the ruins to keep you from going higher, both to protect the ruins and to keep climbers from injury (it's not the easiest climbing I've done). The kids should enjoy climbing to the top of the Gran Basimento, the platform where two of the temples are located.

Archived