Ladies, how do you pack your make up..

and not get it taken away during check time at airport. I want to take my make up on my carry on, but what do I need to do to keep it. I have heard they even will take your mascara? LIke I have face pwdr in its own container, it is labled to be 2oz which it is, will they take it?:rolleyes:

Please check the TSA regulations. Rules may change and you don't want to be forced to throw out a bunch of stuff because you got incorrect information from a message board!

Currently you are allowed 1 quart zip-lock bag per person with 3 ounce containers. They don't worry about things like powder --- it is liquids and gels (including things like deoderant).

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#1

I generally carry a few small items in my carryon just to get me through the day/night (a small toothpaste, hand lotion, hair spray, couple of foil sample packs of lotion and sunscreen) and pack everything else in my checked luggage. There is no way I could get through more than a weekend with just that little bitty bag!

I fly regularly for work, and as the previous poster as said, you can't take everything you'll need for your cruise in your carry-on. Pack your usual stuff in your checked luggage and make yourself an 'essential' kit for your purse or carry-on.

You need to fit all liquids, gels and creams into 1 quart-size ziplock, and each item inside the bag cannot be over 3-oz or 100 ml. So if you need hairspray, you'll need to get travel size for your carry-on. They will not take anything away if they are of the right size and into the ziplock.

Good luck!!

MC

ALL your liquids and gels have to be in ONE quart-size bag, as well. You cannot have, for example, lotion in your purse, makeup bag and a loose bottle of sunscreen in your tote, and hand sanitizer in your pocket. You will be asked to show the bag for inspection at security. You also cannot bring water bottles or other drinks through security, even if not opened.

ALL your liquids and gels have to be in ONE quart-size bag, as well. You cannot have, for example, lotion in your purse, makeup bag and a loose bottle of sunscreen in your tote, and hand sanitizer in your pocket. You will be asked to show the bag for inspection at security. You also cannot bring water bottles or other drinks through security, even if not opened.

We were allowed to take empty refillable water bottles through security, and then fill them from the water fountain by the gate.

That little quart bag sure doesn't hold much, but we were able to take what we needed in what we each had. The items have to be able to lay flat, not bunched up over each other.

Enjoy your trip :D

I recently started using the Bare Essentials mineral makeup, which is totally powdered and thus not subject to the liquid/gel rules. It takes a bit of practice to use this stuff effectively,and at first I thought I might return it for a "full refund", but after sticking with it and using it for a while, I'm pleased with the results. The initial kit isn't too expensive and it beats having to throw out your expensive liquid makeup at security if you have too much of it. Just a thought.

I pack my full-blown makeup case in my checked luggage, I wear however much makeup I want when I leave the house the morning of flying, and then....in that precious one-quart baggie goes the tiny-tiny bottle of foundation and one tube of mascara and one lipstick. In another makeup bag in my carry one goes the pressed powder, powder blush, powder eyeshadow, and a few makeup brushes.

Re-engineering this all is inconvenient but not impossible. It is one of those things that keeps me busy while waiting for my far-off sail date. :o

Leslie

I know it might be impossible but...

we are going on a 4 night cruise and would like to be able to just use two carry ons. assuming this will be possible (we are going to practice pack, have lightweight formal clothes, etc.)

How would we get all the necessities with only one 1 quart bag each??

Has anyone done this before - the carry on only?

thanks!

I would pack it in my checked baggage, just to be on the safe side. I saw a lady last year that had to throw away $85 worth of make-up because they wouldn't let her on the plane with it.

Yeah, I thought the same thing until American lost my luggage 11 days ago. Now I will have to spend over $300 to replace everything in my make-up bag. :mad:

###

I know it might be impossible but...

we are going on a 4 night cruise and would like to be able to just use two carry ons. assuming this will be possible (we are going to practice pack, have lightweight formal clothes, etc.)

How would we get all the necessities with only one 1 quart bag each??

Has anyone done this before - the carry on only?

thanks!

Yes, I do it regularly when we take long weekends for 4 night getaways. Only pack your liquids in the 1 quart bag. You should be able to fit: face cleanser, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lipstick, mascara, moisturizer, hairspray.

I can fit all of the above in a 1 quart bag. Of course, everything is travel-sized. The rest of my make-up (pressed powder, eyeliner, lipliner...anything else) isn't liquid and can go in my purse. The key is to get travel-sized make-up, but if you can't find travel size in your brand, go to the drugstore and purchase empty containers and fill them with what you need.

I wear Bare Escentuals too and took my WHOLE makeup bag carry on with me!!! I mean I took the whole kit-n-caboodle..lol..all my eyeshadows, powders, blushes, ALL the makeup I own as a carry on and had no problem. I left it all in the makeup bag I use at home. Remember it was mostly Bare Escentuals which is powder makeup and a few Cover Girl pieces that were powder too. As far as lip stick/gloss I did put that in the one quart baggie. Anyway, no problems at all on our last trip to FL!

I wear Bare Escentuals too and took my WHOLE makeup bag carry on with me!!! I mean I took the whole kit-n-caboodle..lol..all my eyeshadows, powders, blushes, ALL the makeup I own as a carry on and had no problem. I left it all in the makeup bag I use at home. Remember it was mostly Bare Escentuals which is powder makeup and a few Cover Girl pieces that were powder too. As far as lip stick/gloss I did put that in the one quart baggie. Anyway, no problems at all on our last trip to FL!

Ditto on the Bare Escentuals! I purchased a kit last year that I never got around to using, but I took the kit on my last cruise instead of my usual makeup and ended up loving the products. Since most of them are powders, they don't have to go in the same ziplock bag as the liquids.

I know it may be a bit off topic, but I have to mention my absolute favorite travel accessory! Vera Bradley makes a travel organizer bag with four or five clear plastic zip sections; it's a great way to transport the Bare Escentuals containers and other toiletry items. I put my hair stuff in one section, makeup in another (the clear sections make it easy to see what you have to work with), and jewelry in another. The great thing about the travel cosmetic bag is that it keeps everything in one place, rolls up and ties for transport, and can be hung on the back of the bathroom door so that everything is accessable and there's no clutter on the bathroom sink!:)

I just flew last weekend to Boston and only took a carry on. I put all of my make up in one ziplock back. Each container can be no larger than 3 ounces. It's a 3-1-1 rule. 3 ounces, one bag, one person per bag.

I didn't have any makeup that was over 3 ounces. Now, if I were bringing suntan lotion, I would have to pack that in my suitcase or buy it there.

have fun!

thanks for the replies. I did manage to find sunscreen in 3 oz tubes last night! I will take one and my DH will take one.

I also have contact solution to add to that list...

Here's what I can see so far - for me, then there is my husband's quart bag:

liquid makeup, contact solution, shampoo, moisturizer, hairspray, shaving lotion, lipgloss, sunscreen

Husband can take: his contact solution, toothpaste, his shave cream, his hair gel, sunscreen and anything else I need to fit into his bag...lol

does mascara have to go in the 311 bag? I flew 3 times last year and don't think I put it in, as well as lipstick...??

I will review the list on the TSA website.

thanks for the replies. I did manage to find sunscreen in 3 oz tubes last night! I will take one and my DH will take one.

I also have contact solution to add to that list...

Here's what I can see so far - for me, then there is my husband's quart bag:

liquid makeup, contact solution, shampoo, moisturizer, hairspray, shaving lotion, lipgloss, sunscreen

Husband can take: his contact solution, toothpaste, his shave cream, his hair gel, sunscreen and anything else I need to fit into his bag...lol

does mascara have to go in the 311 bag? I flew 3 times last year and don't think I put it in, as well as lipstick...??

I will review the list on the TSA website.

Mascara and lipstick and chapstick do not have to fit in the quart size bag, they are fine to travel with. If you cannot find some items this website might help :D

http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=55

###

I pack my make-up in a make-up case {it's heat proof} and put it in my carry on bag. I only bring a few items like moisturize, foundation, lip gloss, blush, eyeshadow {a duo or quad case} and mascara. My make up remover cloths are packed in my check in luggage.

All this thinking has been in vain. We cannot possibly fit all our clothes into two carry on bags as we had thought about.

Now I will just bring the usual things in my carryon (that I can't live without if they loose my luggage) and things I will need the afternoon we get on the ship. and...check the rest...

thanks for all your suggestions. happy planning to all those that are trying to fit it all in the carry on.

Must haves in a ziploc baggie. The other stuff in a plastic travel thing - That I can leave on the counter. But I have to rethink - just got Bare Escentials - its a little messy but worth it. The stuff takes more space than my old liquid stuff. Thanks there are no restrictions on powders when flying.

So have to divvy the carry on and check in.

I don't even attempt to put my makeup in my carry on anymore, I put it in my checked luggage.

I have enough to worry about with my prescriptions and all my knee and hip replacements causing me to have to be pulled aside and hand searched every time I fly - I can't handle the added stress of pulling out makeup and making sure it falls within the TSA guidelines.

Archived