A couple of questions about New Orleans

We're taking our first cruise (Carnival Fantasy) out of New Orleans in June. We're flying in from Kentucky so I would like to buy some water and soda to take on board the ship but I don't want to take it on the plane.

Is there somewhere near the port where I can buy this stuff and not get completely ripped off? Maybe a Walgreens or something?

Also, what is nearby for us to do once we return from the cruise? I've been to New Orleans a couple of times before but I don't know where the port is located. Our flight home doesn't leave until 3:30. Remember we'll have luggage to deal with.

Thanks in advance.

There is a Walgreen's in the 600 block of Decatur Street in the French Quarter, and an A&P in the 700 block of Royal Street. Closer to the terminal, there are convenience stores near the foot of Canal Street and one at the corner of Julia Street and Convention Center Boulevard, just across from the terminal.

The port is within walking distance of the French Quarter, aquarium, IMAX theatre, and lots of other local attractions. Not sure what to tell you to do with the luggage. There is a company called Rush It that will pick up your luggage and take it to the airport. Their number is 504-471-0080.

Friends of mine took a tour of the city on the day of debarkation (through the ship). They enjoyed the tour and the convenience of not having to worry about their luggage or airport transportation (the tour ended with drop off at the airport). May be an option for you to look into.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a convenience store across the street from the Mulate's (julia st) . The prices are a bit high, but still probably cheaper than the cruise ship. As far as the Warehouse district goes, expect higher prices the closer you get to the River. I wouldn't wander far away from the river at night (probably not during the day, either) though. Trust me!

The Walgreen's and A&P in the French Quarter are used by locals, so they have reasonable prices. There are a few large grocery stores on Tchoupitoulas in the Garden district, but you'd have to cab or drive there.

Archived