EuroStar to Venice

We are traveling from Roma Tremini to Venice mid June. We will be in Rome pre-cruise so will have cruise luggage for the train trip to Venice to board the ship. Can someone tell me how big a problem it will be to have that much luggage on the train. I understand that there is limited luggage space on the EuroStar.

Hi - We went Rome - Florence - Venice with 2 large suitcases and 2 small ones. We had no trouble with our bags on the train. Be at the platform early and put your luggage right on the racks at the back of your car.

I really recommend that you bring a bicycle lock and chain your bags to the railing.

The only hard part is lifting the bags from the platform up onto the train.

Have a wonderful trip.

I totally agree with the above poster,and I assume you are traveling first class as there is a tad more room for luggage at the end of the car.Do loop it together around the pole and then you won't feel like you have to get up and check it.There is room re the first class seats for small pieces of luggage.It is a great train ride.Enjoy.

I also agree with the above posters. We just returned from a cruise out of Venice. We flew into Milan and took the EuroStar from Milan to Venice. We booked a first class car... two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other side versus second class which is two seats on each side of the aisle.

We went to the train as soon as it pulled into the station because in Milan, there is NO PLACE TO SIT at the train station and we had gotten to the station about 2 hours before our train was scheduled to leave. I'm glad we went to the train immediately because the luggage area is limited for bigger pieces of luggage. Since we were among the first on the train, we had no problem storing our luggage.

The bicycle lock and chain is a good idea. We didn't think of that. Nobody took our luggage but I did get up and check to see if it was still there two or three times during the trip from Milan to Venice.

Tim

Thanks for your help...your experience is valuable! We did book first class and there are 6 of us (all adults) so we do have lots of luggage. :( When I took a look at the train schedule, it shows several stops but only for a couple minutes in several places. That seems a little strange to me...doesn't seem like enough time for anyone to get off or on. I think it is a total of 4 hours from Rome to Venice.

Thanks for sharing your advice about the cable and locks for luggage. Appreciate it! Another question - will be assigned a car/seat? We did receive a "train number".

Thanks for your help...your experience is valuable! We did book first class and there are 6 of us (all adults) so we do have lots of luggage. :( When I took a look at the train schedule, it shows several stops but only for a couple minutes in several places. That seems a little strange to me...doesn't seem like enough time for anyone to get off or on. I think it is a total of 4 hours from Rome to Venice.

Thanks for sharing your advice about the cable and locks for luggage. Appreciate it! Another question - will be assigned a car/seat? We did receive a "train number".

There may be a seat number on your ticket someplace...I had to look for mine,but 1st class was not full and we sat in different no.seats which was ok.If no seat no.the conductor may be of help if train is full and someone compalins you may be in their seats.Don't forget to validate your ticket before you get on the train...yellow box at start of track to train.If they do check to see and not vlaidated they can really fine you.

The train does make a few quick stops.That's where the locks come in...just in case and it really stops the "checking to see if still hter syndrome".:eek:

Since there are 6 of you...do wait by the track to try and be first on re all the luggage!!!

Also of note...if you do want a bite to eat and the service cart doen't come around..the sandwich car(that's what I call it) has some good bites and some good coffee to boot.

Thanks, Karen,

OK - here's what I'm thinking after reading your replies.

• Get there early
  • Be sure to validate the ticket
  • Sit anywhere in the first class car - since there are no seat numbers on the ticket.
  • Chain the luggage together - quick stops can result in missing luggage.
  • Service cart or sandwich car provide good bites to eat.

Again...thanks...you have relieved some of my anxiety!

Doneice

Doneice,

I took several Eurostar trains last summer. One was the reverse that you are doing, Venice- Rome. As far as I know you always have a seat assigned on Eurostar trains , especially on First class. The only people I saw with tickets that had no number were in the Eurostar from Florence to Venice which was overbooked and people were traveling standing up ( this was in the second class / tourist class cars)! Please, do not assume you can seat anywhere! Look carefully at your ticket and locate a seat number. If not there you should try to straighten that out when you get to Rome.

Eventhough I had a First Class seat assigned ,when I boarded the Florence to Venice train,all the spaces for luggage at the end of the car were taken (this train started in Rome, that was the problem). A nice man was able to haul my suitcase on the overhead rack. I would not have been able to do that.

Our Venice to Rome train was not completly full ,although First class was.

Again, do not assume that you can seat anywhere. With Eurostar you should get a seat assignment.

Another point, are you boarding the cruise ship the same day that you are traveling to Venice? If so, it might be better for you to get out in The Venice- Mestre stop rather than Santa Lucia station.

I second cruiseluv's suggestion that you leave the train in Mestre and take a taxi to the cruise terminal. I did after it being suggested on these boards. It was wonderful. He took us right to the luggage drop off. I wasn't dragging the luggage around in the hot sun.

Fran

Yes, we are boarding the ship the day we arrive in Venice. We have made arrangements for a limo company to pick us up and take us to the cruise terminal...so we are getting off in Mestre. I read that suggestion earlier on these boards and it made a lot of sense. I couldn't imagine putting all of our luggage on a water taxi and trying to get to the ship.

I examined our train tickets a little closer - we do have assigned seats...though they don't make sense. 051W, 052W, 053C, 054C, 055W and 056W. Anyone understand those numbers? I guess the best thing we can do (as far as luggage) is to get there early and try to be the first to board.

Do you board and exit the door where the luggage is stored? One more question...I read somewhere that you don't "validate" the Eurostar tickets...is that true? You all have been soooo helpful. I really appreciate it! :)

I am glad you found your seat numbers. That makes more sense. I am sorry, I don't remember the numbering they use. Are the seats in the same car? That's what's important so you are not in different cars.

Not all doors have luggage racks, only the ones at the end of the car . So look for that door to go into your specific car. There is also space for luggage between the seats ( in between the backs of the seats).

Regarding validation of Eurostar tickets.... I had ticketless Eurostar reservations since I did them online . So what I had to do was show my e-mail confirmation to the conductor when he came around.

If you have real tickets, I am not sure. Maybe somebody here will chime in. If not, since you are planning to get early to the train station ask at the information booth . In case of doubt, I would validate it.

Cruiseluv - you have been very helpful. Having this information relieves a lot of my anxiety. Thanks, again! Happy cruising (and train riding!)

Doneice

BTW - I assume the seats are all in the same car...we only have one ticket with all the information (6 seats) printed on it - and a train number. So I guess the number will be the car number.

...I examined our train tickets a little closer - we do have assigned seats...though they don't make sense. 051W, 052W, 053C, 054C, 055W and 056W...

First class has three across seating. The row is configured with two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other side. The "W" designation is for a window seat and the "C" designation is for a corridor/center or aisle seat. If you're lucky these seats will be facing each other with a small table between them. The possible downside of this is that three of you will be riding backwards. It doesn't bother me but some people get queasy about doing that. Have a great ride, Eurostars are a great way to travel.

Archived