Did I reserve the right time for the David?

We will be doing the "Florence on Your Own" tour with Celebrity. Based on the tour info, I think we will be arriving in Florence around 9:30AM and departing around 3:30PM. Since I read many shops are closed 1:00 - 3:00, I made our reservation at 1:30. Will we have enough time to see the David and make it back to the bus on time? If not, any suggestions on a better time? Thanks!!

The Accademia gallery is not that big. Since David is the big draw, you could just pop in and see that statue first, then spend time in the rest of the museum as you have time for. I think we only spent a litle bit over an hour ,maybe 90 minutes tops, there, and we didn't have any time constraints (we were staying in Florence).

I would agree. the Academia is not very big and unless it is really crowded just head for David then spend the rest of the time looking at anything else you are interested in. Florence is very compact so it should not take you long to get back to where you have to get your bus.

enjoy Florence - it is alovely city:)

I was there on May 5 so about three weeks ago. Good idea to have a good map as the map we were given on the bus didn't show all streets and some folks were really confused. I had a reservation for 1:30PM. We were to meet our person at 3:40 to head back to the ship. I had plenty of time to visit. I sat and looked at David from every possible angle as well as visited the entire first floor. I got the audio guide at the small bookstore in the same area as the ticket booth. I thought it was worth it.

I got there early and they let me go in so if you find you are ready before the reserved time, it shouldn't be a problem.

I also had time to go to Santa Croce Church after seeing David and before meeting our person as our meeting spot was on the steps of the church. It was about a 15 minute walk back to the bus.

I had lunch at a great spot that was fairly close to the Central Market.

I know that you didn't ask for all of this extra information but...hope it is helpful.

Marilynn

Lunch in Florence – It was so fun to eat at this place. I had bread .50, a beer, 2.5, tortellini, 5 and strawberries, 2 for a total of 10 Euros.

Information from Budget Travel, I think …Trattoria Maria – Via Rosina 2r (on the north corner of Piazza del Mercato Centrale), www.trattoriamario.com – 8.45 – 12.9 euros – no credit cards – tucked into a side street behind slightly pricier trattorie surrounding Florence’s central food market, this unabashedly old-school trattoria doesn’t seem to have changed one iota since MarioColzi opened it in 1953. His son, Romeo Colzi, Romeo’s wife, Patrizia, and brother Fabio refuse to alter the simple tiled walls, glassed-in kitchen, ancient wood ceiling, and culinary traditions (tripe on Mondays , fish on Fridays) or the habit of shoe horning strangers into already packed tables to make new friends and enjoy genuine Florentine cooking at the lowest prices in town. The menu is hand-printed at the door and on the wall and changed constantly to include such everyday delicacies as mezzelune al rag (half-moon cheese ravioli in meat sauce) and coniglio al forno (roast rabbit). Even if you order both of the most expensive first course and second course on the menu and have wine, you still ring in under 13 euro – practically unheard of in Florence. Open 12 – 3:30PM on Saturday.

I don’t have the hours on other days. I got there just after 12 and got a table. When I left, the place was full and there was a fairly long line outside. I was alone at a table for four and before long a gentleman was seated at my table. He must have been a regular as they brought his first course to him as soon as he sat down.

I was there on May 5 so about three weeks ago. Good idea to have a good map as the map we were given on the bus didn't show all streets and some folks were really confused. I had a reservation for 1:30PM. We were to meet our person at 3:40 to head back to the ship. I had plenty of time to visit. I sat and looked at David from every possible angle as well as visited the entire first floor. I got the audio guide at the small bookstore in the same area as the ticket booth. I thought it was worth it.

I got there early and they let me go in so if you find you are ready before the reserved time, it shouldn't be a problem.

I also had time to go to Santa Croce Church after seeing David and before meeting our person as our meeting spot was on the steps of the church. It was about a 15 minute walk back to the bus.

I had lunch at a great spot that was fairly close to the Central Market.

I know that you didn't ask for all of this extra information but...hope it is helpful.

Marilynn

Lunch in Florence – It was so fun to eat at this place. I had bread .50, a beer, 2.5, tortellini, 5 and strawberries, 2 for a total of 10 Euros.

Information from Budget Travel, I think …Trattoria Maria – Via Rosina 2r (on the north corner of Piazza del Mercato Centrale), www.trattoriamario.com – 8.45 – 12.9 euros – no credit cards – tucked into a side street behind slightly pricier trattorie surrounding Florence’s central food market, this unabashedly old-school trattoria doesn’t seem to have changed one iota since MarioColzi opened it in 1953. His son, Romeo Colzi, Romeo’s wife, Patrizia, and brother Fabio refuse to alter the simple tiled walls, glassed-in kitchen, ancient wood ceiling, and culinary traditions (tripe on Mondays , fish on Fridays) or the habit of shoe horning strangers into already packed tables to make new friends and enjoy genuine Florentine cooking at the lowest prices in town. The menu is hand-printed at the door and on the wall and changed constantly to include such everyday delicacies as mezzelune al rag (half-moon cheese ravioli in meat sauce) and coniglio al forno (roast rabbit). Even if you order both of the most expensive first course and second course on the menu and have wine, you still ring in under 13 euro – practically unheard of in Florence. Open 12 – 3:30PM on Saturday.

I don’t have the hours on other days. I got there just after 12 and got a table. When I left, the place was full and there was a fairly long line outside. I was alone at a table for four and before long a gentleman was seated at my table. He must have been a regular as they brought his first course to him as soon as he sat down.

Q: Regarding the audio guide at the Accedemia? When they say euro 5.50 or euro 8 for two, do they mean two audio guides or two headphones with one audio machine?

Even with the resevation, I heard it can take 10 minutes to get in?

Wow, thanks guys for all the great feedback. Marilynn, thanks for the extra info!! Every bit of insight from a recent traveler is a great bonus!! If you have any other tips you'd like to share I'd love to hear! I have at least two maps I am bringing with me, and I am trying to have at least a basic route blocked out ahead of time so I make sure we see as much as we can!!

Even with the resevation, I heard it can take 10 minutes to get in?

Yes ... there are two lines - the one to the right of the entrance is for those without reservations (easy to tell because it is very long!) ... the line to the left is for those with reservations and it took us approx. 15 minutes to get in.

They have ones with one headset and others with two headsets.

The reservation line was 10-15 people long when I was there. You go through screening and then to the ticket counter.

On the bus, our person showed us where we were being dropped off and picked up so I mapped out my route from that point. Streets change names as you can see on the maps. Don't know if you are familiar with where the names are placed - on buildings so that's where to look.

The central market was worth a quick stop. I found a reasonable internet spot close to the Duomo also.

Feel free to email me - marilynns at gorge dot net - change to symbols and put it all together.

Marilynn

I see you are leaving soon.

We cruised the Med on the same ship you are taking in October of 2000 and had a great time. Loved the ship.

I will be gone from June 1 - 10 so if I don't respond during that time, I'm not ignoring you.

Marilynn

How did you reserve you tickets a the museum in Florence. We are also doing "Florence on Your Own."

We booked via: http://www.firenzemusei.it/00_english/servizi/index.html

Scroll down to "Booking". Add 011 in front of the phone number shown. The customer service rep spoke English, and it was a very quick call.

We were able to reserve a time, but not pay until we arrived at the museum.

I am travelling to Florence on June 12th. We used the booking service below. However, their first "available time" was 4:30 (we had requested 12:45). Our bus wil be gone by 2:30. They will only refund a portion :mad:

If anyone wants up to 4 discounted Academy tickets for 6/12/07 at 4:30 PM, send me a PM

https://webmail.svn.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.weekendafirenze.com/bigphp/mus.php?skin=fi%26mus=uffizi

Original costs was about $25 USD each. Others in our group had no problem. I think we just had short notice.

John

Archived