Pools - Salt or Fresh Water

Deb,

Which pool on the Enchantment is fresh water? I am also allergic to saltwater, but I just always take the risk of breaking out because I don't want to not enjoy my vacation since I love water so much.

Anyone else allergic to saltwater? Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent breakouts?

Deb,

Which pool on the Enchantment is fresh water? I am also allergic to saltwater, but I just always take the risk of breaking out because I don't want to not enjoy my vacation since I love water so much.

Anyone else allergic to saltwater? Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent breakouts?

Again, I did an internet search for confirmation of a salt water allergy and I can find no basis for such an allergy. I do not believe that it exists. ( I don't know this, just doesn't make logical sense). Therefore, I am guessing that what you are calling an allergy is actually Sea Bathers eruption which is unknown the exact cause, but is caused by something in the salt water. My guess is that you came in contact with some nanocysts from a jellyfish or similar creature.

If you can show me some bit of documentation about a salt water allergy, I would be delighted to add this to my knowledge base.:D

jc

Deb,

Enchantment pool next to the hot tubs (in the middle of the deck) is fresh water. The salt water pool is next to the splash zone which is closer to the pool bar (not the one on the side - the "regular" pool bar that was always on Enchantment). The side one and I believe the fresh water pool were added during the stretch.

|Has anyone been on the monarch of the seas? Are the pools salt water? We are going in december on the 4 day cruise out of LA with my 19 year old daughter to see if she can handle a cruise. She gets bad motion sickness in the car , but she really wants to go on a cruise. But she doesn't likesaltwater pools and so if thisship only has saltwater then I would rethink it altogether. Anyhelp would be great!!!!

Thanks

Kim

I doubt that your daughter will be going in the pool on the Monarch in December anyway. Its not like the Caribbean. It can get quite chilly in December on the trip from LA to Ensenada.

|Has anyone been on the monarch of the seas? Are the pools salt water? We are going in december on the 4 day cruise out of LA with my 19 year old daughter to see if she can handle a cruise. She gets bad motion sickness in the car , but she really wants to go on a cruise. But she doesn't likesaltwater pools and so if thisship only has saltwater then I would rethink it altogether. Anyhelp would be great!!!!

Thanks

Kim

Been on Monarch 5 times-SALT.

I doubt that your daughter will be going in the pool on the Monarch in December anyway. Its not like the Caribbean. It can get quite chilly in December on the trip from LA to Ensenada.

I was on Monarch last Dec 26-IN THE POOL!! In LA, you never know-this last Christmas was HOT!!

We adore the saltwater pools---there is something refreshing and theraputic about them. The floaty-buoyancy is lots of fun. I can play in the pool for hours! As a result, we won't cruise on ships with freshwater pools.

Oh gads!.... but we're booked on the Freedom in October! Between the fresh water and the sugar-free coconut layer cake and coconut ranger cookies, I am going to sink like a stone! :D

Leslie

I'm a bit confused. I have a pool at home that I add salt too. It creates chlorine.

Is this the same thing as on RCCL's ships? Someone mentioned you shouldn't open your eyes under water. I can do this at home with no problems. And the water does taste a bit salty.

Oh, and from my understanding, all Princess ships have fresh water pools.

LOL, Ok I assumed it was salty :D Is it harder on your hair than chlorinated pools? My hair is so dry to begin with.

Nicole

ONLY if it gets stuck in a jelly fish or sea weed lol........

I was on Monarch last Dec 26-IN THE POOL!! In LA, you never know-this last Christmas was HOT!!

Very true. I usually cruise the Monarch in Feb, but this year we decided to go in April so we would get better weather. Wouldn't you know? On the sea day it was too cold for swimming and those that were laying out, were using towels to cover up with not to lay on...LOL

I'm a bit confused. I have a pool at home that I add salt too. It creates chlorine.

Is this the same thing as on RCCL's ships? Someone mentioned you shouldn't open your eyes under water. I can do this at home with no problems. And the water does taste a bit salty.

The pools on the ship use sea water. Its not the same thing as a salt water system for your pool at home.

Since I apparently have no allergy to salt water, let me say that I prefer the salt water pools on RCI ships to the overly chlorinated pools that I have encountered at many land-based resorts. (Some of them I can find blindfolded just by following the chlorine smell):D When I get off the ship at any of the islands it visits, I go to the local beach and swim in, guess what, SALT WATER:rolleyes:. There are fresh water showers adjacent to the pools on RCI ships, so if salt residue on your skin is a problem, the solution is close at hand.

Bill, the only thing interesting about this thread is this claimed salt water allergy. I am so wanting someone to prove to me that this condition exists. Other than just saying so, of course!:D :rolleyes: It is amazing I have lived so long without ever hearing about this until this thread came along and now there are 2 grand children and 1 adult with this condition.:eek:

jc

xpc,

I don't have any documentation, but my doctor has confirmed that there are many people that are allergic to saltwater and the only way to avoid the reaction is by not getting in it. Fortunately, my whole body doesn't break out from it so I usually still take the risk every time I go on vacation.

Thanks

Kim

I was on Monarch about 5 years ago. and the pools were salt water then may have changed now hope this helped.

Archived