Venice accomodation

I'm looking at the Lido area, as it's more affordable than Venice proper. It will mean schlepping the luggage, but to save over $100 a night, I will do that. La Meridiana is only $108 a night, or at least that's the quote I've gotten for Oct '07. I don't cruise until Oct '08, so I'm praying the dollar gets stronger and prices come down. I didn't find any hotels that looked like I wanted to stay in Venice for less than $235 a night. If money is no object, then try Hotel Olympia or Hotel Arlecchino close to Piazzale Roma where the buses drop off and pick up. Easy access to the airport and ship port. A good hotel site is www.venere.com, they have a really nice map to show you the location, and a nice site of hotel info too.

We stayed in Mestre so we could use land taxis. The hotel was very nice and convenient since I am mobility impaired, and right across from the train station. Best Western Bologna included breakfast in their very reasonable price.

We stayed in Mestre so we could use land taxis. The hotel was very nice and convenient since I am mobility impaired, and right across from the train station. Best Western Bologna included breakfast in their very reasonable price.

Thanks for another option. Quote I got for Oct '07 is about $180, but not sure whether transportation cost would be prohibitive. Getting from the pier to the hotel would surely be a hefty amount, if to go only 8 km to the airport is 49 Euro. Even if you figure 49 Euro from the pier to the hotel, that's 98 Euro (approx $150) almost as much as the hotel, plus still have the Vaporetto expense to get around Venice. Plus a couple of tours we want to do.

By staying on Lido (at $108 + $37= $145 total), we can get a Vaporetto 48 hours pass for 25 Euro and take the little boats all we want from Lido to Venice, Lido to airport and Lido to pier. Schlepping the luggage from the pier to the Lido and then from the Lido to the airport will be the only problem I foresee, but to save the difference from $510 to $253, I think we can manage, or at least hope we are still healthy enough to handle it.

We are on the Emerald Princess in Aug. leaving from Venice. We need to find a hotel convenient to the airport and the port. We will be there for 1 night before the cruise. Any suggestions?

If you don't have to have a canal view the Fiorita is a small simple, but super clean and with great breakfast place. Price is mid-range, It is just off the San Angelo stop or you can also use the Academia Stop.

"Hotel Locanda Fiorita - Venice" <info@locandafiorita.com>

Here is the web site. http://www.locandafiorita.com/ its in a small square just around the corner from San Stephenano plazza. You can also get off at Academia and walk accross the bridge to San Stephenano sq. then turn

in front of San Stephenano Church and its on your left.

We have recently returned from Venice after cruising on the Splendour of the Seas and for one night we stayed at the Holiday Inn Venice East Quarto D'Altino. This hotel is very reasonable and operates a free shuttle from Marco Polo Airport to the Hotel, also it is situated beside a railways station (never heard any noise) and if you book accommodation over the internet will provide free rail tickets into Venice (20 min. journey) Hotel rooms could not be faulted and staff were very accommodating.

We've had two cruises that left from Venice. It's an amazing city. You are spending thousands of dollars for the cruise. Why would you chintz yourself out of a wonderful night in Venice?

Go to tripadvisor find yourself a hotel in either St Marks or the Rialto.

What's the point of being there and missing the ambience for a few budks?

We've had two cruises that left from Venice. It's an amazing city. You are spending thousands of dollars for the cruise. Why would you chintz yourself out of a wonderful night in Venice?

That's exactly the point. I paid $2300 for the cruise, add another $1000 for airfare. I really don't want a hotel for $500 for 1 night in Rome and another $500 for 1 night in Venice, or even $300. You may have lots of money, but my friend and I don't. While I am still working, that's more than I want to pay for a place to sleep and shower, we are two old ladies traveling together, and could care less about the romance of Venice. My friend is retired and just plain doesn't have that kind of money. When I was there in '98, my husband and I managed to view the wonder of Venice and I don't feel we missed much. We stayed in Verona and rode the train into Venice just for a few hours. So we will be on the Lido Island for $108 per night rather than Venice proper for $300 a night, not a big deal. That is if the dollar stays as weak against the Euro as it is right now. I keep praying it will improve.

Lido is a perfectly nice place to stay -- we stayed in Venice proper and it's worth it if you have the money. If you don't Lido is a good alternative. Prices for food and murano glass is much cheaper on Lido. We enjoyed the green, open areas of Lido plus the "local" vibe v. the touristy one of St. Marks. Venice can get quite warm (and we were there in April) plus the crowds can be wearing.

Limit yourself to one suitcase if you can -- the vaporettos can be difficult to navigate without luggage if they are crowded and you want to keep an eye on your things.

We just retrurned, yesterday, from our fabulous Italian Enchantment cruise on Holland America's Veendam which departed and returned to Venice. Prior to our cruise we had a delightful stay at the Palazzo Guardia which is located near the Accademia Bridge. It is only about a 10 minute walk or a short vaporetta ride to St. Mark's Square. We paid $155 Euros (roughly 200.) a night for a beautifully decorated, large room with a large bath and included a nice continental breakfast. I highly recommend it. Just be sure and have the very detailed instructions they will email you to get there! It is located on a very narrow alley next to a pharmacy that you can easily walk right by. The night after our cruise we chose to stay at a lovely hotel in Maestre nearer the airport, Hotel Mary. We had prepaid a total of $103. for the night with a lovely large room and a great breakfast which even included eggs or omelets cooked to order! There was a very easy to use busstop right around the corner and the front desk sold bus tickets. We used the bus to get there, drop off our luggage, and then return to Venice to spend the day and night exploring some more! The next morning we caught the bus to the airport. All went very smoothly for us, but taxis are available, too, if you do not want to have to haul your luggage on and off the buses. This didn't bother us, though.

We have recently returned from Venice after cruising on the Splendour of the Seas and for one night we stayed at the Holiday Inn Venice East Quarto D'Altino. This hotel is very reasonable and operates a free shuttle from Marco Polo Airport to the Hotel, also it is situated beside a railways station (never heard any noise) and if you book accommodation over the internet will provide free rail tickets into Venice (20 min. journey) Hotel rooms could not be faulted and staff were very accommodating.

We just returned from Venice staying in this hotel pre & post cruise on the Veendam. It was very convenient with the walkway & elevator to the train. We didn't get any free train tickets although we booked over the internet we did purchase them at the front desk. Nice & clean hotel with a helpful staff.

Just returned from Splendor cruise. We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Marriott Courtyard near the airport. It is a new hotel. Very nice. Large clean rooms. We arrived in Venice at noon the day before our cruise. We took the airport shuttle to the hotel. Dropped off our luggage. Rode the bus to Piazza Roma (1.5 E - the bus stop is across the street from the hotel). Bus took approx. 20 min. Bought a 15E 24 hour vaperatto pass and explored Venice. Took the bus back to the hotel that night around 9:00 p.m. Very easy and inexpensive. Next day we did a late check-out (breakfast was included) and took a van (there were 6 of us) to the pier. Cost was about 50E. Cost for the hotel was $130. Our friends used their Marriot points. For just one night it was alot easier than hauling luggage over to the island and paying for water taxis. I have stayed in Venice for a few days at the Westin Regina Euroupa. Thought the Marriott was a great way to go. Would be inconvenient if you wanted to go back and forth to your hotel. We made a day of sightseeing so it wasn't a problem.

Just returned from Splendor cruise. We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Marriott Courtyard near the airport. It is a new hotel. Very nice. Large clean rooms. We arrived in Venice at noon the day before our cruise. We took the airport shuttle to the hotel. Dropped off our luggage. Rode the bus to Piazza Roma (1.5 E - the bus stop is across the street from the hotel). Bus took approx. 20 min. Bought a 15E 24 hour vaperatto pass and explored Venice. Took the bus back to the hotel that night around 9:00 p.m. Very easy and inexpensive. Next day we did a late check-out (breakfast was included) and took a van (there were 6 of us) to the pier. Cost was about 50E. Cost for the hotel was $130. Our friends used their Marriot points. For just one night it was alot easier than hauling luggage over to the island and paying for water taxis. I have stayed in Venice for a few days at the Westin Regina Euroupa. Thought the Marriott was a great way to go. Would be inconvenient if you wanted to go back and forth to your hotel. We made a day of sightseeing so it wasn't a problem.

We did the Marriott Courtyard as well because we were flying out early in the morning after disembarking in Venice. We took the bus to the hotel from Piazelle Roma and dropped our luggage off, then took the bus back again to spend a day sightseeing in Venice. It was very easy and the bus ride is only about 1/2 hr. They also have a free shuttle to/from the airport, so you don't have to worry about how to get there when you arrive. We used our Marriott points so it cost us nothing.

Idog: Do you where you are once you're sleeping ? The Ritz and more reasonable places look the same through shut eyes !

Hi travellers2

We are staying two nights Venice pre-cruise before our rotterdam cruise in October. I used tripadvisor to research hotels but used bookings.com (booking.com?) for both our Venice and Rome accom. Seemed to be cheaper than the other sites including venere.

Yes it would be lovely to stay five star all the time but never truer words were written than "they all look the same with your eyes shut"!! I've got to admit we are paying 300 aussie dollars per night (Hotel Lisbona) but that was our choice and our budget (kind of) allowed it. If yours doesn't then I think Lido is a wonderful alternative. That's where we started looking before deciding what the heck!

have a fantastic holiday

peter

Sometime the ease of transportation door to door is the only answer for some that waited too many years to visit that marvelous city. If you are healthy enough to stay on the island and pull luggage over bridges, of course it would be wonderful to stay in Venice. If not, at least there are other alternatives to be able to see the beautiful city of Venice.

Is a great hotel in the Venice area - easy access to the airport, only 15 minutes. Only 25 minutes to Venezia - the number 5 bus is directly across the street and drops you at Piazza Roma. I stayed there last November and throughly enjoyed the easy access to everything.

And the Catina 1 block from the hotel has great inexpensive Italian wine sold by the litre !!

Happy Travels !! :o

Archived