Any Possible Snorkeling In Ocho Rios?

Since we've been to Dunn's River Falls, we are thinking we'll just stay onboard our cruise ship at Ocho Rios unless anyone can tell us of ANY possible snorkeling there. Snorkeling is our main interest when going ashore at any stop. Thanks bunches for your help!

Since we've been to Dunn's River Falls, we are thinking we'll just stay onboard our cruise ship at Ocho Rios unless anyone can tell us of ANY possible snorkeling there. Snorkeling is our main interest when going ashore at any stop. Thanks bunches for your help!

No, I would not recommend it. I've done a little diving around Ocho but do not recommend it..... memorable only in its low quality.

The snorkeling in most of Jamaica is nothing to write home about. I have no idea why, but I've never had a decent snorkel there.

One of the more fun things to do is go to a resort that allows day passes and hang on the beach.

No, I would not recommend it. I've done a little diving around Ocho but do not recommend it..... memorable only in its low quality.

We only snorkeled off shore from our resort when we stayed at an AI - we did Dunns and a park when we cruised to Ocho. We saw enough fish for me, but I am not a swimmer so you probably would be disappointed.

FYI- The coral reefs around Jamaica are in danger of extinction from pollution according to the Oceanic Group that deals with coral reefs. There are many Caribbean spots on the "red" danger list for coral extinction in the next 20years. Pretty sad.

Your can google coral reefs and get the info.

If you want a small excursion....

you could do lunch, or depending on when you depart dinner, at the Ruins... http://www.ruinsjamaica.com/index.html

I end up there courtesy of a buisness associate about 2 out of 3 visits. I've always done dinner but understand they do a nice lunch too (but it is better at night as it is much cooler outside....)

Note - this is not the same 'falls' as Dunn's River ....

Just ask a cabbie to take you, it is not far from the pier area.

I've also been to The Almond Tree several times ....

• 2 weeks later...

You migt want to look into going to Runaway Bay, about 10 miles from Ochos Rios. I found this in Frommers, "Runaway Bay offers some of the best for snorkeling in Jamaica. The reefs are close to shore and extremely lively with marine life, including enormous schools of tropical fish such as blue chromis, triggerfish, small skate rays, and snapper."

Archived