Drinks (Not a Sneaking In Drinks Questio)

anil099

Hey...I'm a 19 year old bum who's cruising for the first time with my family and so it's impossible to smuggle drinks on board...now...I have been told by basically everybody that I meet for the first time that I look 23 AT LEAST.....and when I'm unshaven for a couple of days that guess goes up to 25.....so How hard would it be for me to get drinks on board? OR would I just have to find a person on board to buy em for me? I'm not a heavy drinker....just something to feel like I am on vacation

I'll pay for it of course.....I'm just wondering if there are any other underage people on this board who have gotten drinks on board?

In the case of my son, we buy them for him. So ask your parents. If they say no sonny boy, then I guess you aren't drinking :p

Yeah I don't want to risk ruining my family's vacaiton...It's not a big deal...I can go without it..but it would be nice if there was some risk free way of going about it while on the ship...on all the parties..like the captains cocktail party..do they check ur ss card?

Yeah I don't want to risk ruining my family's vacaiton...It's not a big deal...I can go without it..but it would be nice if there was some risk free way of going about it while on the ship...on all the parties..like the captains cocktail party..do they check ur ss card?

They should check at the captain's cocktail party (and I have seen them do it sometimes), but they don't always.

oh wow, thats pretty cool of you to do that for your son. But I guess the bum is sol in that department.

In the case of my son, we buy them for him. So ask your parents. If they say no sonny boy, then I guess you aren't drinking :p

The law used to be "18 to drink in international waters" although I know it has changed to reflect the age of 21 for drinking/gambling these days. I took a cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras when I was 18 with my friends and the reason we did it was because it would be legal for us to drink on our senior spring break. All our friends were trying to get fake ID's and head to Padres, Texas....we didn't have to get fake ID's because on the ship, we were legal at 18 to drink and gamble.

I have no experience with underage drinking on Carnival since that cruise (and again, at that time, it was LEGAL for me to drink at 18) but I am guessing you have a good chance of being served some how, some way. -Just the same as people smuggling on liquor....it's against the rules, yes, we know, but people do it and many get by with it. I think the same would probably apply here, but I can't say for sure.

Good luck and enjoy your trip, either way!

..on all the parties..like the captains cocktail party..do they check ur ss card?

They don't check your S&S card at the Captains Cocktail Party, they ask to see your ID.

My daughters have gotten carded at the last few.

They were getting carded constantly, even to get in the disco after 11pm.

Hope this drinking under 21 isn't enforced too much for your sake anil099. This will be our 1st cruise in 4 years and my kids have never had a problem getting drinks on board unless it's a new policy. Of course they were all over 18 at the time, just not 21. What about the kids who have a glass of wine with dinner with their parents? My son is also 19 and brings me my drinks if I ask him (am I lazy, actually I don't like siding up to the bar). What I mean by this is at the Captain's party, if you don't want to wait for drinks being brought around, you can go up to the bar and get your own. We've sat around together having a beer, and actually I look forward to it around the pool when we go this year! Hope this is just overblown. Enjoy your cruise, don't worry about the drinking. (I've never heard of a parent being put off the ship because of underage drinking - I did hear passengers being put off the Paradise when it was a non-smoking ship and someone smoked in their cabin)

Jean, I just tried the search feature, but couldn't locate a fairly recent thread that told of some passengers being removed from the ship and left in port - due to something about providing drinks to underage - something to that effect.

Hope this drinking under 21 isn't enforced too much for your sake anil099. This will be our 1st cruise in 4 years and my kids have never had a problem getting drinks on board unless it's a new policy. Of course they were all over 18 at the time, just not 21. What about the kids who have a glass of wine with dinner with their parents? My son is also 19 and brings me my drinks if I ask him (am I lazy, actually I don't like siding up to the bar). What I mean by this is at the Captain's party, if you don't want to wait for drinks being brought around, you can go up to the bar and get your own. We've sat around together having a beer, and actually I look forward to it around the pool when we go this year! Hope this is just overblown. Enjoy your cruise, don't worry about the drinking. (I've never heard of a parent being put off the ship because of underage drinking - I did hear passengers being put off the Paradise when it was a non-smoking ship and someone smoked in their cabin)

I've never seen anyone kicked off,for buying their kid a drink, but have read something about rccl doing it over a major holiday. I believe I read it in a newspaper. But I can't be positive.

As far as letting your 18-20 yr old have a drink, we personally allow it. One pina colada or one beer is not going to put them on the road to alcoholism.

I have always felt, that when something is so forbidden it becomes a quest to see if they can do it. So if my 20 yr wants a beer, fine we'll buy it for him.

never had a problem with the servers being they are aware we are buying it for him.

We aren't big drinkers to begin with, so we will have one or two drinks and that's about it.

I would never buy someone else's underage kid a drink. That is up to their parents to do so, not me. What I think is fine for my children doesn't mean crap when it comes to another persons child.

So if my son came to me and asked if I could buy his new underage friend on the ship a drink, the answer would be no. And they know this, so I never had to deal with them asking.

Anyway, it's doubtful your 19 old son is going to be able to go to the bar and get you a drink, even in the captain's cocktail party. If you are standing next to them and hand them your card, they will serve him. Which is what we do.

rccl used to have the policy you could sign a waiver for your 18-20 yr old to drink, they don't anymore.

I think a lot of kids in that age bracket tend to go overboard, so to speak, when it comes to drinking. And the cruiselines don't want the liability.

anil099,

If your parents buy you a couple of drinks, I don't see a problem with it.

As long as you're not falling down drunk, and call attention to yourself.

Drink responsibly! We'll be on the Triumph in June. My daughter is 17.

I won't let her drink, but if she were 19, we would buy her a few drinks.

HECK, drinking age was 18 for most of us parents!!:rolleyes:

ENJOY! I hope you are able to have a few!:D

I cruised on RCCL in '04 and I was 21 but my cousin wasnt and all she had to do was get a signed letter from my grandfather (who was cruising with us and was her "guardian" for the cruise) saying that he was allowing her to be able to purchase drinks on board. I guess they put something on her S&S or something cuz she never had a problem getting beers. Liquor on the other hand was a different story. I dunno why, but they wouldnt let her get liquor, only beer. Cuz, you know, liquor is soooo much worse and all.

Basically, any way you put it, you are gonna have to get your parents involved. And if they are square and that it going to be an issue, then you are just gonna have to wait till you get to port where its legal. Hopefully, they know you arent gonna get wasted and they will be cool with getting you a few brews. Good luck dude!:rolleyes:

When we were on the Inspiration last year, I was 24, and I got carded at the captain's cocktail party. Admittedly, I do look younger then I really am, but it seemed like they were being pretty cautious. That said, my parents used to buy me one or two frou frou drinks and it was never a problem. So I guess one way or another, you will have to get your family involved. Especially if it's their credit card being used for the sign and sail card. They will find out one way or another. And if your parents are like mine, it will cost you! Those occassional drinks they bought me before I was 21? Well, I have to pick up their tab now, and my mom has acquired a taste for the $15 martini!:rolleyes:

They don’t always card you at the Captain’s party. The last cruise we were on (Royal Caribbean) at the Welcome Aboard Party a waiter offered my daughter champagne. She said “no thank you” and kept walking. The waiter asked “What’s the matter, don’t you like champagne?” I looked at him and said “she’s 12”. He only said “wow”. Also at the time one of our sons was 19 and they said he could have beer and wine with parent's permission.

12 woah..maybe the waiter had something to drink before hand...anywho...another georgina I see....I think I'm sounding like a desperate alcoholic on this thread ...haha...trying to get it anywhich way I can...which would be nice but if worst comes to worst....its not too big of a deal.....btw last question...do the room service people accept bribes? haha....

Archived