New to Board - Sailing Alaska in August

Hello! My husband got me into cruising for our honeymoon, and he loved RCCL so this is where we are!

We are taking my second in August to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas. Love to hear tips and details and hope to be helpful to others on the boards!

Have taken Adventure of the Seas to the Western Caribbean.....happy to pass along my knowledge to anyone looking.

My husband and I are going in July! The Alaska board gives a lot of good info! I love reading all this good info!Have fun.

CEW2, I would love to hear what you thought about the Serenade and how the weather was etc. I sail out on the 28th of July.

Have a wonderful 10th anniversary cruise.

We went with a group of friends to Alaska the last week of July 2004. It wound up being the hottest summer in years, although for us it was just perfect.

We did a canoe ride with salmon bake in Juneau and then walked around the town...Typical tourist shops, but the day was beautiful. The canoe trip was beautiful and the water so calm that we went right up to the base of Mendenhall Glacier........

Skagway was a great port and although it was a bit rainy at first, it cleared and we took the helicopter ride. Expensive, but hey how many times will you have such an opportunity? We went to two glaciers and walked around. Exhilarating.......

Last stop was Ketchikan where we did a float plane. This was wonderful too.

Many went whale watching and did in fact see several. I heard the train ride was great, but not my cup of tea.......

You do not have to book the excursions through Royal. I was able to save several hundred dollars by calling directly, but decide and do it early as spots are reserved for the ships. But you can call the same vendors and it will be a minimum of $50-75 less per person for the bigger excursions.

Hello! My husband got me into cruising for our honeymoon, and he loved RCCL so this is where we are!

We are taking my second in August to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas. Love to hear tips and details and hope to be helpful to others on the boards!

Have taken Adventure of the Seas to the Western Caribbean.....happy to pass along my knowledge to anyone looking.

You are absolutely going to love it. We went on Princess Saphire a year ago, Aug. 14th. The weather was about 75 degrees every day, never had one rain day. Scenery is to die for, we had a aft cabin, no wind back there at all. Get on the Starboard side of the ship if you heading North. That side of the ship gets to see the most scenery going to Alaska. I guess I'm assuming you will have a balcony, if not it won't matter.We woke up early in the morning and the ship had docked in Skagway and we looked out our balcony and the town was like something you see in pictures only. It was just breaking dawn and the ship over powers this small town. You can see for miles and what a site to behold. The old fashioned street lights were still on and it was like a fairytale.

Oh, I want to go back.

We were on the Radiance for the September 2 Alaska sailing sailing last year and the San Diego to Vancouver repositioner a couple of weeks ago. We really like the ship and crew. As for Alaska..that was our fourth time. That kinda says it all.:D

Alaska photos: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006

Radiance Repo: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw2007

Beautiful ship, beautiful ports. You will love your trip!

Dave

Hey there!

I am cruising August 24-31.....Vancouver to Seward.

We are definitely interested in a glacier.....and going to splurge for the heliocopter. I am looking at a cooking class in Juneau.....and I think we would like to do dog sledding.

We have seen whales in Hawaii, so I am not sure we are going to spend money on that. We did get a balcony room....deck 9. Hope it is great. We have 3 people going with us who have not cruised before, so we are breaking them in.

Thanks for the excursion ideas! I appreciate it!

Archived