Any info on dates for the Galaxy refurbish?

pkgjockey

Chessbriar - Rick:

Just jumping in here to say thank you for clarifying the story of the Galaxy's missed drydock on your previous post. I know I appreciate getting the full story.

Looking forward to the Galaxy in 4 1/2 weeks . . . :D

I have sailed on Galaxy in 2001, 2002, 2004/2005 and 2007. By what you are saying, I should have noticeable wear as the years went by. Where I saw noticeable wear was the artwork in the middle of the pool deck and the wood decking around the pool. Things I noticed on one cruise were fixed by the next. With the work they continue to do, I see noticeable improvements.

I was on Galaxy in July 2002 and again in November 2005 and apparently things that were noticeable to me were either not important or not noticeable to you. For the record the retractable roof did not work in 2002 as there were 2000 people complaining that it was extremely hot on the rear deck. It still did not work in 2005 but didn't matter much to anybody as it was not that hot in Panama and the other ports along the way. I was not aware that it took five years to get new windows ordered but if thats what you guys want to believe by all means do so. Hopefully they were smart and ordered extras this time.

Based upon some of the comments I received for making one sarcastic comment it is obvious that the cards are stacked against me on this thread and that nobody wants to hear anything derogatory about the Galaxy.

I am glad they are putting some effort into fixing it up now however I don't think anybody can deny that not much was done until fairly recently. Of course none of you actually thought it needed any work so once again it must have been just me being too critical and not willing to make lemonade.

I am glad they are putting some effort into fixing it up now however I don't think anybody can deny that not much was done until fairly recently. Of course none of you actually thought it needed any work so once again it must have been just me being too critical and not willing to make lemonade.

Before making this comment you should have gone back and read review from last summer, which is not recently. They talk about the work being done and the constant improvements going on. They continued through the summer/fall/winter.

In your list of complaints, you left out the T pools and hot tubs. That was a consistent complaint about the Galaxy, one that was on going since 2004.

It's not that we don't want criticism with regard to the Galaxy. But your analysis of the ship is dated and your facts are not entirely correct.

I will be one to say X has not kept up with the maintenance of the C class ships. I also know why. When I first started sailing on X, the maintenance schedule for X ship was once every 2-3 years. All the ships were in need of some tender loving care. September 11 hurt the cruise line and the continuing problems with the pods on the M class ships has cost X millions and millions of dollars. Many of the M class ships were going in what seemed like once a year. It cost millions of dollars just to have the ship pulled out of the water let alone the refunds and discounts for canceled cruise and all the work that had to be done. X has lawsuits against both the manufacturer and designer of the pods. But they may never see a dime of it. Every time they might think about pulling the one of the C class ships, another M class ship was having a problem. So they were put on the back burner. The crew and the line did what they could while the ship is at sea, but some things need dry dock. The size and weight of the windows lent to the fact it would be easier, safer, and more cost effective to do in dry dock. The same with the the roof over the aft pool. I don't know how X went about fixing both situations, whether it was by hand or they used cranes in the ports. Either way, I have to give credit to X for getting it done.

As to those who wonder how the Mercury took Galaxy's dry dock when it was done on the west coast. When I say Mercury took Galaxy dry dock, it's the money that was allotted for Galaxy's dry dock.

In your list of complaints, you left out the T pools and hot tubs. That was a consistent complaint about the Galaxy, one that was on going since 2004.

It's not that we don't want criticism with regard to the Galaxy. But your analysis of the ship is dated and your facts are not entirely correct.

I actually had many more complaints with the ship and its layout. Thing is I was not here to complain or bad mouth the ship and you will find from my posts that I have not. I simply responded with "...its about time..." to a post that said they had finally repaired a couple of pet peeve items of mine. Who in their right mind would come here to complain about Celebrity and then suffer the flames that are imminent after such a post.

Funny thing though, I wish I had listened to those who put down Galaxy prior to us going on it a second time. Rather than be swayed by those negative posters who you guys label as troublemakers I unfortunately listened to those of you who said if I went I would have a wonderful time. To each their own and you can have it all to yourselves. For me Galaxy does not fit into my future plans as there are many much better options out there.

With regard to dated information/facts - you are absolutely correct. I have not been on the ship since November 2005. I read here in this forum and this thread that windows and roof were now finally fixed so I made a sarcastic comment that it is about time that they were fixed. So how does that make me "chicken licken" as somebody who apparently is not remotely familiar with the characters of the tale refers to me.

You and others seem rather defensive towards Celebrity with respect to them having had so much on their plate they let certain things slide and that should be perfectly acceptable to everybody. Well newsflash - not everybody is as forgiving as those of you who are very loyal to their cruise line. I have perused the other boards but have yet to find such die hard defensive people as there are here.

Dale,

I have no clue what the "chicken licken" crack was about. The reason I tend to be defensive is I love the line and have made a good number of friends on board over the years. I have caught wind of the cut backs X has had to do and what the crew has had to endure. As an operations manager, I understand X's problem with allocating resources. If you don't have the money to spend, you don't. You do the best you can with what you have and wait until it gets better. There has been time when the continued existence of X has been in question. Things have been getting better for X, hence the order for 4 new ships. I am also expecting the C class ships to move on once all the S class ships are out. X just doesn't have the customer base to support 11 ships. And yes part of that is the upkeep on the C class ships and part of that is the pod problems.

I have also sailed Princess, RCCL, and Carnival and I find the product to be better on X. That being said, my preferences are to the food and service.

If you think about trying X again, look into the M class ships or S class when they are out. They might be more to your liking. And I have yet to see and X ship in the condition I have read on these boards.

If you think about trying X again, look into the M class ships or S class when they are out. They might be more to your liking. And I have yet to see and X ship in the condition I have read on these boards.

Rick/Chessbriar

Your very informative and rational posts seemed to put into perspective what my thoughts and feelings were towards the Galaxy. For what it is worth I have already been on the Constellation and truly did enjoy it at the time. Since then we have given Regent and Oceania a try and have come to really enjoy the small ship experience. We are going to also try Azamara which in my mind is going to still be Celebrity albeit a stepped up version of what they once were.

I'm sure that as a fan of Celebrity you look forward to the days where they can shake the stigma of the pods on the M class ships and the cutbacks in food and service that they have been forced to do fleetwide to stay competitive. Nice chatting with you!!!

Dale,

My wife has been wanting to get me on a smaller ship for years. We came close a couple times with the Zenith. But with her now gone, we'll have to look at some of the other lines. I just wish I had opted to book the Quest for this November. I loved her Caribbean cruises. But now with her spending time in Asia during the winter and Journey in South America it's unlikely at this time in my life. I'm also keeping an eye on the small Princess ships, Tahitian, Pacific and Royal Princess.

I just wish I had opted to book the Quest for this November. I loved her Caribbean cruises.

I know this is going off topic but Oceania's Regatta has some really nice Caribbean cruises starting in November each year + they have two or three Panama Canal transits. Quiet and relaxing and perfect for us - perhaps not perfect for those who are looking for more organized activities or more night life. For us the night life ended up being a romantic dinner in one of the specialty restaurants each night until 10:30 or so and then calling it a day. We never went to any shows nor have we been to any on a Celebrity ship. Not our forte.

I just want to say that the alternating dialogue between Dale Jr and Chessbriar has been one of the best, most enriched discussions I have ever seen on this board. Both viewpoints have been stated and supported perfectly, are extremely informative and accurate, and certainly allow others to see both perspectives entirely. Your responses were classy and non-argumentative towards each other.

Well done.

Just left Galaxy yesterday morning in Rome after an 11 Day Eastern Med to Greek Isles and Turkey. We have not sailed on it before, but we found it to be very acceptable! It isn't the most lavishly decorated ship but it was clean and I didn't see excessive wear and tear. The bedding was also acceptable.

Some windows are a little foggy in some of the public areas but the ones in our cabin were great. I think you will enjoy the experience even if they haven't sent her for refurbishment!

Archived