Easter Island, Robinson Crusoe Island, Pitcairn Island

canadagal

I know the Silver Shadow was not able to tender into Easter island this year due to rough sea conditions but have not heard whether or not she made it to Robinson Crusoe Island. I don't think any ship lands on Pitcairn just due to the nature of the island.....unless it's a zodiac from National Geographic. Does the ship stop at Pitcairn and the islanders come on board the ship? What about last year? Were any of these ports reachable? I noticed that SS is offering all of these ports again in October 2008 and I was just wondering how often the ship's tenders can make landfall or she ends up just cruising on by. It could make for some pretty long sea days when it does as well as disappointment of missing these islands. Anyone know what has happened in the past?

Thanks, Pat

I can only say something about Robinson Crusoe Island.

We've been there 2 years ago and even the weather was not

to good Silversea tried to tender anyway and we made it. We had a wonderful time on the island. And the Security guys from Silversea told everyone that if the weather will turn worse the would blow the horn so that everyone is informed to return to the pier.

The island is so small everyone would hear that.

We were just at Robinson Crusoe, Easter and Pitcairn Islands on the WC. We did get ashore at Robinson Crusoe, not at Easter but we had a great tour around the island by the historian on board. The Captain hugged the shoreline and we saw what we wanted . It took a while at Pitcairn to get the tender down so the Capt only recommended that the agile go...that left me out! My husband was off in a flash. By the time the tender was put down, all of the islanders were on the ship selling shirts, stamps, etc. It is a real iffy thing, so be flexible!

Thank-you for your replies! Duct Tape, am I reading that correctly? That the tender was lowered for pax at Pitcairn Island and people actually went ashore as well as the islanders coming aboard the ship?

Pat

That is correct. The Capt. requested that only the VERY agile go ashore since it was very rocky! Folks were getting desperate to go ashore since we had been at sea for at least 8-9 days. My husband said that he only ran into 1 or 2 people on the island since they were all aboard! There were lots of t-shirts and stamps purchased. It was interesting to see all the name badges with the surname of Christian!

Duct tape, thanks so much for confirming that.....and I must say I'm impressed as you rarely hear of anyone that actually makes it to shore on Pitcairn. I agree that 8-9 days at sea would be enough to give a person cabin fever and I too would be anxious to set foot on land......any land.

The Captain, on his last cruise, could easily have bypassed the Pitcairn landing. We were the first passengers from a cruise ship to land on the island in over a year. Captain was applauded when walking into the dining room that evening. Very cool for him to take a risk for the passengers.

Archived