Train to Whittier and White Pass Railroad

LisaH

Hi everyone..thanks to all for info I have received over the last year. It is getting close to trip time for us (July 12). We will be on the 9 hour train ride to Whittier to catch our cruise ship from Denali and McKinley.

Is there a lot of difference in the scenery during this trip vs the White Pass Railroad excursion? I am just wondering if we will want to be on another train after being on one for 9 hours.

Or are the two experiences totally different. I am happy to do the White Pass because I keep hearing great things about it but also curious about the differences.

Thanks!

The summary is that the White Pass & Yukon Route is considered one of the top 10 rail excursions on earth, while the Alaska Railroad wouldn't even be on the top 50 list. From Denali to Whittier has some beautful stretches, but the only really interesting part is the tunnel as you go into Whittier. You'll see a lot of people sleeping on the ARR, none on the WP&YR.

I agree, they are totally different. :) If interested in history, spectacular scenery, do the White Pass. For your Alaska RR trip, be awake for your last 2 hours :) This is by far the most scenic portion of the entire trip.

I agree, they are totally different. :) If interested in history, spectacular scenery, do the White Pass. For your Alaska RR trip, be awake for your last 2 hours :) This is by far the most scenic portion of the entire trip.

I will have no problem staying awake on the 9 hour ride as I do not sleep in planes or on trains. Of course I have not been on many trains so who knows. I will have to nudge my husband I am sure...

Archived