Tips for Children Under 2? Be Nice!!

AnonymousCruiser

:eek: !!!!!!!!! ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE POSTS PLEASE !!!!!!!!:eek:

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT HOW YOU DONT THINK THAT KIDS SHOULD BE ON A CRUISE AT ALL, OR ANY OTHER OF THE NEGATIVE CHILD COMMENTS I HAVE ALREADY SEEN ON THIS BOARD.

That being said...:o

We will be travelling with a very pleasant 11 month old. Does anyone have any advice? We will be providing all of the baby's amenities except for the crib and highchair, as she is on baby food and formula.

You may wish to have your TA contact HAL as I believe that if you advise them of your needs, they will provide diapers, formula, baby food. You must make the request and be specific as to what you need/want. Hopefully, someone who has traveled with an infant will confirm they still do this for pax.

I sailed with my children when they were 8 mos old and 2, they are now 16 and 20 ..My one daughter started the crusie on baby food ..and ended eating table food...:) .She loved cruise food. The one piece of advice I can give from experience is bring a thermometer and tylenol and motrin.With my oldest she ran a fever and I did not have a thermomemter with me:( ..and I am a nurse so I should have known better. the cost of going to the ships MD was hugh and in Mexico finding any of the above was impossible.Of course this was 18 years ago, I have since learned to pack a mini pharmacy when we cruise:D .

Try to hire an in room babysitter so you can enjoy a relaxed dinner. Enjoy your cruise, it will be different than without a baby but fun non the less...I have a great photo on my daughter and myself sailing with the World Trade Center:( in ther background.

Nancy

We actually already contacted HAL. Included in the lovely price of $600 (including taxes and fees) we only get the use of a crib and a highchair!!!!

They sent us an oder form for supplies. They will provide baby food ($1 a jar) and diapers($1 a diaper!!!!!!) and other, ridiculously priced, baby amenities like formula and wipes with a 30 day notice. (FYI - good diapers are about .25 each and baby food is about .60 per jar in the real world)

So we will gladly purchase these items in FL before boarding the ship. This will enable us to buy the brands we need/like as well. They did not allow brand preferences on the HAL order form either.

I guess she might be eating more table food by then - she is only 8 months now. We don't do more than cheerios and mushy stuff at this point. I keep forgetting how fast things change. I think I am more worried about her wanting to move around alot. We are traveling with the grandparents so hopefully that will help!

We actually already contacted HAL. Included in the lovely price of $600 (including taxes and fees) we only get the use of a crib and a highchair!!!!

They sent us an oder form for supplies. They will provide baby food ($1 a jar) and diapers($1 a diaper!!!!!!) and other, ridiculously priced, baby amenities like formula and wipes with a 30 day notice. (FYI - good diapers are about .25 each and baby food is about .60 per jar in the real world)

So we will gladly purchase these items in FL before boarding the ship. This will enable us to buy the brands we need/like as well. They did not allow brand preferences on the HAL order form either.

Sorry, AnonymousCruiser. I was trying to be helpful.

Another thought is have you considered a cabana if you are visiting Half Moon Cay??? Seems to me with an infant that a cabana would be helpful as it has a/c, shade, a refrigerator and a non-sandy place for your daughter to nap. It's kind of expensive, at $219 per day, but if you found another couple to join you, it would be less! You can see if any are still available by calling HAL's ship services at 800-541-1576 .:cool:

P.S. I am always nice!!!!:p

Sorry, AnonymousCruiser. I was trying to be helpful.

I apologize if I sounded rude. :( I was venting my disbelief that HAL could charge that much for diapers and food. Especially since we had to pay so much for her trip. I expect a markup on items when I travel but they are really pushing it in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip though - I basically just wanted to let you the outcome of my inquiry and I guess it didn't translate well in text.

Another thought is have you considered a cabana if you are visiting Half Moon Cay??? Seems to me with an infant that a cabana would be helpful as it has a/c, shade, a refrigerator and a non-sandy place for your daughter to nap. It's kind of expensive, at $219 per day, but if you found another couple to join you, it would be less! You can see if any are still available by calling HAL's ship services at 800-541-1576 .:cool:

P.S. I am always nice!!!!:p

Thank you - my mom did resereve cabana for us and we are really excited about it. I think it will be really helpful/relaxing.

Thank you - my mom did resereve cabana for us and we are really excited about it. I think it will be really helpful/relaxing.

I agree!!! It will give you a cool, sand free place for your daughter. Though my boys are 12 and 16 I still remember them as toddlers, and HNC would be wonderful if you have a place out of the sun.

I too am stunned at the charges that HAL has for baby food!! In reading the cruise literature I assumed (silly me) that because you were paying for your child to cruise, that they would provide the babyfood gratis. :rolleyes:

Have a great trip!

I can see them charging extra for diapers (although not four times normal price). But to charge for baby food is ridiculous. For the same $600 you could stick an adult in your room that eats like I do. Seems to me if they provide food for paying adults and children, they should do the same for infants.

AnonymousCruiser, seems that a cruise would be a perfect time to have your child start eating real food.:)

Maybe that's what they're saying, and this is HAL's way of discouraging infants/toddlers on their ships. Other lines don't charge that much.

That thought struck me also. High charges for infant's needs are another way of discouraging them. While my 18-MO grandson is a darling, his 2 year old cousin would be a holy terror, but their 8 year old cousing would be welcome, I'm sure, as the "little lady" that she is. Just don't let her "organize" a gang of more than 2!

You might think of packing an extra suitecase to store the items that you purchase at the supermarket before your cruise.

There is a Publix Supermarket on 17th Street Causeway close to the Bimini Boat Yard Restaurant. It's an ideal place to pick up all you need for baby.

Where will you stay the night before the cruise?

You will have a great time!

I don't want to start a controversy, but you might want to use one of those "baby leashes" that will tether the baby to you while still allowing her to roam around a bit while out on deck. This will help you relax while keeping the baby safe.

Hi everyone.

We are flying into FLL the day before the cruise and staying with my parents who are also cruising with us. My mom will have purchased all the baby food, diapers, etc. and will have it in a bag ready to go. So, we are pretty lucky. I am sure we will have quite the suitcase collection as it is.

Archived