masks for kids

lumpkin

We are taking our 10 and 13 yr old on a SNUBA dive in the eastern carribean, and I am worried that the rented masks won't fit well, and will fill with water and spoil their experience. Any suggestions? I thought about buying and bringing masks for them.

Academy and Sports Authority also have some totally acceptable stuff for kids at reasonable prices. I just saw U.S. Diver's and Body Glove sets with fins at Sports Authority for around $35 - 45... depending on the size. Some of them came with a gear bag.

Hint...

It's OKAY to open the package to try stuff on! Doing so will save you a world of grief. Masks are NOT one size fits all. Have your kids get their hair out of their faces, hold the mask up to their face and inhale gentle through their nose. The mask should suction cup onto their face - without using the strap. If there are big gaps...allowing air to come in, water will too...try a different style or even a different mask in the same style. It's worth spending a little extra time at the store for them to get one that fits them well. Happy snorkeling! :)

Other things to know when selecting a mask, for kids or adults. NO plastic. You want a glass lens and silicone skirt. The glass will need to be cleaned prior to use or it will fog more easily. Take a small amount of toothpaste, not gel, and rub it around on the inside of the lens. Rub for a couple of minutes, this will clean off the release agent used in manufacturing. Rinse it out and you are good to go.

As for using a defogging agent, many people use spit, but I don't. As a last resort I'll lick the lens. What works better is diluted baby shampoo. It won't sting the eyes. The are commercial defoggers available too. Of those, I like PSI 5000.

Im small so I had to buy a kid's diving mask when I took my first lessons. Rather than going to the big distribs that sell mostly plastic crappy stuff- look up diving in your phone book and buy from a shop, that way you get a good fit. Nothing worse then a horrible mask IMO. I have one similar to this: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_masks_ion.html

except mine is clear around instead of black for better viewing out of hte side of my eyes.

Archived