First Time Cruiser. Concern is husband's chronic health condition.

Considering 7 day HAL Mexican cruise as first cruise. Concern is husband's chronic health condition. He is COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) patient with Emphysema. Requires oxygen 24/7, uses walker and has electric scooter. That said, curious if anyone has experienced similar situation. Considered balcony or above for room accomodation. Thoughts?

I have COPD...less than 20% of my lungs are working...I'm on oxygen 24/7.

When I was diagnosed at age 48 I decided that I was going to live life to the fullest. Since then, I have done six cruises and we have a seventh booked. My condition has gotten worse over the years but I adapt. Last July was when I went on oxygen so the first thing we did was to buy a portable oxygen concentrator so I could continue to travel (we go to Vegas three or four times a year). I have a scooter because I can't walk too far so we book suites when we cruise and we always make sure we get large hotel rooms. The key is to research. Especially with the airlines...each one has different rules.

Also, I couldn't do all this without the support of my dear husband. He is the one who organizes the battery charging of the scooter and the concentrator, packs everthing into manageable wheeling carry on bags when we fly and keeps me positive when I get down.

We had a Mexican cruise booked for next January but changed it. The ports were not too scooter friendly and one of the stops was tendered (Cabo San Lucas).

Good luck!

Toni ;)

If you are considering a 7day HAL Mexican Riviera cruise that is probably on the Oosterdam out of San Diego. If so, you should make sure you book a handicapped accessible cabin so that the scooter can get in and out of the cabin and have room to turn around inside. Also the bathroom will have a roll-in shower with fold down seat and lots of grab bars. With all the limitations of th oxygen and the scooter, and the fact that the ship does the same itinerary every week, you should have enough flexibility to ensure you do get an accessible cabin and they have them with balcony. As someone has already mentioned, Cabo San Lucas is a tender port - the ship does not dock, and it is seldom possible to tender with a scooter without having some tiring effect on the passenger. At Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan the ship will dock and you should be able to get the scooter off the ship, but if you have a folding wheelchair, suggest you also take that. We always travel with both - the scooter for shipboard use and the fold up wheelchair for shore excursions

Archived