QE2 and St. Peter Port

Gypsy025

Just wondering if anyone on a QE2 cruise has made it into St. Peter Port (tendering of course)?

We were due there on May 27, 2007 and had to abort because of winds and rough seas. This was our second unsuccessful attempt (the other in Dec 2005). It was the third unsuccessful attempt by a fellow cruiser on our last cruise.

I can't speak for the QE2 in St Peter Port, but I can speak for St Peter Port - the day before you were here, - a lovely sunny day - a Celebrity ship was anchored and her passengers were all over town......and today is another lovely sunny day:

http://www.cwguernsey.com/my/webcam/

Luck of the draw I guess......

Peter

We were unable to land last October. It was a gorgeous day, and looked calm. We had tea on the balcony....

However as soon as the pilot boat was visible it was very plain to see that what is calm to 70,327 grt of liner isn't calm to a small boat!

Matthew

Just wondering if anyone on a QE2 cruise has made it into St. Peter Port (tendering of course)?

We were due there on May 27, 2007 and had to abort because of winds and rough seas. This was our second unsuccessful attempt (the other in Dec 2005). It was the third unsuccessful attempt by a fellow cruiser on our last cruise.

Only ever managed to get in once, and that was May before last and even that was an ordeal. :eek:

I have two friends on the Island ,one is a Travel Agent and he always finds it amusing ! :D

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

We made it last year on the Black Watch !

We made it last May on the QE2 - although I've tried it several times before and not made it.

We made it last May on the QE2 - although I've tried it several times before and not made it.

Hey Malcolm,

Were you on the 5 night trip last May, i was on the ten night Cruise in early May and then the 5 night cruise later on in May ! :D

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

It seems St. Peter Port has this reputation as a hit and miss port! I have heard so many stories of aborted tenders that makes one wonder why cruise ships bother but then again when do we ever hear of the successful tenders?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I already eyed an excursion that interests me. I'm on the QE2 in August (the 2007 version of the Bilbao-La Rochelle-St. Peter Port trip) and we plan to visit St. Peter Port on August 30. No I won't cry if we miss it but I'm hoping I get to be one of the success stories.

David

It seems St. Peter Port has this reputation as a hit and miss port! I have heard so many stories of aborted tenders that makes one wonder why cruise ships bother

Apart from Guernsey's many charms.....it is also not part of the EU....which is handy if you want to sell Duty Free - something you can't do if you only sail between EU ports.....

Peter

Apart from Guernsey's many charms.....

Peter

Apart from beeing non EU the charms Peter mentioned are worth to see. Although we've not been to St. PeterPort by ship (rather by ferry and bike) we really can recommend a visit to this little treasure island in the British Channel. Its totally coverd with little gardens, green madows and backyards full of flowers. All the little houses got names from sites all over the world or famous artists from every kind.

The only thing you have to take care is that the islanders are driving on the left hand side of the road, which they mean ist the right one to do so. ;-)

PS to Peter, which name has got your castle?

We made it there by tender August 9th 2006, but failed to make it there during our first cruise November 2004, as others have said it's luck of the draw.

I didn't realise that duty free goods could not be sold if only EU ports were visited, however!

Apart from beeing non EU the charms Peter mentioned are worth to see. Although we've not been to St. PeterPort by ship (rather by ferry and bike) we really can recommend a visit to this little treasure island in the British Channel. Its totally coverd with little gardens, green madows and backyards full of flowers. All the little houses got names from sites all over the world or famous artists from every kind.

The only thing you have to take care is that the islanders are driving on the left hand side of the road, which they mean ist the right one to do so. ;-)

PS to Peter, which name has got your castle?

Robert,

PMFJI, but your August, '07 QM2 trip--is that the 4 night trip to Nova Scotia from NYC, or something else?

Dear Angela, unfortunately it is not your trip.

Afaik QUEEN MARY 2 is making a short trip after an eastbound TA from Southampton to Hamburg and return to offload and reload the Germans for another TA back to the new continent. We are doing this short trip to celebrate my parents golden wedding. This will be our present to them and we try to keep it secret until embarkation.

To all the other readers of this thread, I know I'm completely off topic now, do'nt blame me ;-)

PS: what is >PMFJI<??

Hi Peter, TYFYH.

There is still the open question about your castles name on this thread.

To all of those who do not know the real thread starting topic, its about tendering at St. Peters Port on the wonderful island of Guernsey.

All the best to you

Good morning to Guernsey, thanx Peter for the explaination. So your cottage could be named >Kurt< or >Karl-Heinz<. ;-)

On the other side we found one little cottage on your neighbour island Jersey which was named QUEEN MARY. What we could'nt find out if the owner meaned

- the Queen Mary I (1516-1558),

- the Queen Mary II (1662-1694),

- the ship itself, fixed in Long Beach harbour CA

- the famous steam locomotive built by William Stanier F.R.S. in 1936

- that he is a lecturer at the Quen Mary University of London

Any idea??

Have a nice sunday

We were on QE2 in 2005 on a 3 day with stop at St Peter Port, the day we were supposed to go ashore was fog bound, so we cruised the English Channel, but the next day we stopped and had a fantastic day, hired a car for around £20 for four of us and drove round all the sights! The second time was the five day Bilbao, La Rochelle, St Peter Port in 2006, again fantastic weather, hired a car again, this takes about five minutes you need your driving licence and a credit card. The Island's not that big it's difficult to get lost, but lots of narrow winding lanes and you need a fairly decent map.

I think you just had bad luck.

Neil

Archived