HAL Childcare for an 18-month old?

Illiad

My wife and I are hoping to cruise the Caribbean on Holland America in January 2008. By that time our son will be close to 18 months old. We understand that he's too young for Club HAL and plan on spending the vast majority (if not all) of our time with him anyway.

However, we were thinking it would be nice to have dinner at the Pinnacle Grill a couple of times on the cruise, and so we're considering availing ourselves of the babysitting service HAL offers for the younger ones. We understand it's an extra charge. I read a horror story elsewhere on the site that a couple ran into a really rude staff member who was less than pleased in having her day in port ruined because the pax didn't request a sitter the day before. I've also read some good reviews of staff who took great pleasure in sitting, one in particular who walked around the ship with her charge showing the little tyke all of the cool stuff on the vessel. :)

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not HAL's babysitting service is something you as parents would put your trust in. I'm not filled with confidence when I hear that some (or perhaps it was just that one?) staff are less than enthusiastic about taking care of my only son for a couple of hours. I did read somewhere that all of HAL's babysitters are women and that they're all mothers themselves. Or something like that.

Your experiences with HAL babysitting, good or bad, would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Archived