Whale Watching - NCL Star

mistybaby

Opinions on your questions will be varied and I predict could get heated before it's all over with.

I assume from your post you're wanting to book independent instead of going through NCL? If so, I highly recommend Harv and Marv's for their excellent, personalized service and the fact the boat will have seven people on it (counting either Capt. Jay or Pete) vs. more than 100 which some of the others (both through NCL and independent) attract... I think you'd have a better time and feel more comfortable with a smaller crowd with your baby.

Regardless of who you choose, have a great time whale watching. It was the highlight of our trip.

Thanks for your response. I was actually thinking of maybe through NCL (because of my son and ease of canceling, etc.) - but NCL offers three different excursions in Juneau...so I was looking for opinions on those. Info on outside excursions are also appreciated though.

I only had about 12-15 people on my Orca Enterprises trip. There was an upper viewing area on the boat that held 6, altho the area in the back was just as good for viewing/taking pics. Actually, if you didn't take pics, inside the cabin was just as good. I thought they were great.

Independents were cheaper than what cruise lines normally charge for whale watching excursions. Orca was about $50/pp cheaper than what Princess charged.

Thanks for your response. I was actually thinking of maybe through NCL (because of my son and ease of canceling, etc.) - but NCL offers three different excursions in Juneau...so I was looking for opinions on those. Info on outside excursions are also appreciated though.

In May of 2005 we booked the "Evening Whale Watch" through the NCL Star.

I loved it!

I don't remember there being more than 50ish people on the boat, and there was plenty of room to move around up on top, or sit inside.

They fed us, provided us with binoculars, pointed out all sorts of cool things, found us whales to watch, and the captain told us all sorts of wonderful things about the wildlife.

Because it was an evening trip, the light was gorgeous for taking photographs.

I could not have been more satisfied with our excursion.

Hope that helps.

Linda

OK, I'm guess, I'm going to stir things up. :) No flames please. I have been on at least 100 whale watches. Toddlers really are a handful on these tours and sometimes don't do well. I've seen plenty of haggered parrents by the end of the tours.

Key would be to have at least 1 other person with you, more if possible, (4 would be great). You should be prepared for missing out on some views, you just can't be watching a toddler and whales intently at the same time. There is also the potential of motion sickness- I've seen more than I can count of sick kids, even in smooth seas. Bring a couple special toys that are new, extra snacks.

Take a look at your situation- at the worse, 4 hours is endless with no way out and an unhappy child. At best, you get some fantastic close up whale views. :)

As for NCL trips. Allen Marine does a good job and their larger ships would offer you all more room and maybe a quieter place available??

No flames from me, BQ! I guess we went at a time when kids were still in school (apparently, the question of yanking kids out of school for a cruise hasn't been asked by Alaska cruisers yet!) because there weren't many kids on board. We wondered if that was by choice (not wanting to spend money to bring them) or due to the schedule (still in school).

My boyfriend and I discussed the logic of spending $800 to take my little brother to Alaska, knowing he'd get more out of the rock climbing wall and the water slide and bowling alley than he ever would looking at the scenery.

Obviously, I understand wanting to take the kids and the inability to leave 'em behind, but I don't know that, especially the really young, get much out of Alaska... it's for the scenery young'ins just don't appreciate, in most cases, and if you have to wrestle with them all week, I don't know how much fun mom and dad are going to have, either.

I'm not trying to turn the OP's thread into a "take your kids or leave 'em when you go to Alaska" thread. But I did wonder at the end of the trip if, for instance, the mom and dad in front of us at embarkation were heavily sedated by around Thursday... they were wrestling three little boys, none of which could have been much older than 6. I'd have needed some medication just to make it to the muster drill.

I really was interested in finding out which of the three offered excursions was the best and why.

That being said, I feel the need to respond to the previous post. 1. Of course we want to take our son with us on vacation for many reasons. 2. This is his fourth cruise so I don't have "typical" concerns of him adjusting. 3. He is very worldly at his young age, having traveled around the world, as well as the fact that we live in NYC and he does interesting and unique things on a daily basis, such as going to to see the dinosaurs at the AMNH. I am sure he will love seeing the whales, and we love watching his delight, of course, I appreciate the fact that this will not be a lifelong memory for him - but, hey, that is what pictures are for. In terms of the money, it is simply not an issue. Our vacation is for us to spend time with our son, which is frankly why we are leaving our nanny at home.

Misty... I'm terribly sorry if I offended you. My post was NOT directed at you. Perhaps I should have started a different thread to make that clear. There's no reason to defend yourself, your, I'm sure, stellar parenting skills or your much above-average behaviored and learned tot.

I'm certain there are kids who will get more enjoyment than their parents out of any cruise, Alaska being no exception.

Happy sailing.

It would also help if you listed the different whale watch tours. Many posters just do not have the time, to do the work of searching shore excursion lists.

Sorry you took offense, I am only giving my experience with seeing toddlers on several hour whale watches. Plenty did not do well. I also find that kids don't stay the same either and each age a challenge with unpredictable differences- even when adults. :)

Archived