How early do you pack?

heatherandfred

So, what one thing do you always forget to pack?

For me, I hate it when I get on board and forgot to pack an essential item. The worst time ever.... underwear! I had everything but my underwear. I spent the first 2 days in hubby's underwear! I bought the essentials at our first port!:(

For me, I hate it when I get on board and forgot to pack an essential item. The worst time ever.... underwear! I had everything but my underwear. I spent the first 2 days in hubby's underwear! I bought the essentials at our first port!:(

Wow that's definately not something you want to go without. For me I usually forget my extra camera card or addresses for postcards. Nothing too serious:)

I started packing about 2 months ago...:p

I keep buying clothes, and I just bought some more. I like to change at least twice a day if need be.

I keep it simple, I never unpack. Just kidding, I usually pack about a week before so I can make adjustments to what I am taking. See if I am missing anything and/or what I do not need to bring.

This year we are not leaving locally and flying to Florida to depart so it will be a little different. We are also doing back to back cruises. I will need to pack wisely.

I just saw this posting and thought I'd jump in. This is a fun question.

I pack the night before and DH is packing as the airport shuttle drives up! I used to find that nerve wracking but after this many years, I figure we can buy whatever we forgot (or get along without it). It doesn't matter how long the trip is or how far the port is, we always end up doing it at the last minute.

We have a list just for items we've forgotten in the past!

Ann

After packing for my DD,DS, and DH - it really burned me when I forgot my own underwear on a cruise to Alaska. We left from San Fran and after 2 days at sea, it was a challenge!!! Luckily, came upon a funky hardware/pharmacy/miscellaneous store and was able to find some that would work. Now that's the first thing I pack. :)

After packing for my DD,DS, and DH - it really burned me when I forgot my own underwear on a cruise to Alaska. We left from San Fran and after 2 days at sea, it was a challenge!!! Luckily, came upon a funky hardware/pharmacy/miscellaneous store and was able to find some that would work. Now that's the first thing I pack. :)

Forgetting underwear is one of my biggest fears, I always buy new ones for vacation and pack them immediately after I buy them. Thus along with my bathing suit, they are usually the first things in the suitcase.

We start a staging area 1-2 weeks in advace. We cover our dining room table with a sheet and lay out all of the essential trip items. WE also have a cruise checklist that we have developed over the years...but unfortunately, it can't make you put everything on the table. Here are some of the things that we forgot:

- Black socks (it's difficult to wear your dress shoes and black plants with white socks)

- Dress pants (you end up wearing your suit pants to dinner every night)

- Bottle opener (it sure is hard to open those bucket beers when your relaxing in your cabin before dinner)

• 1 month later...

my first cruise is in December and my friend has already had me out "cruise clothes" shopping. I have all my casual stuff, just need to find formal. I will try to have everything packed two days ahead (but will probably have it semi-packed during the week before) as I have to work until 1:30 am friday night before cruise and leave for airport at 4:00 am. My husband is the one that we still have to coordinate clothing for.

I'm an early packer as well. I don't actually put them into a suitcase but I do have an area where I begin a pile. I usually get things as gifts at Xmas towards my cruise and I begin to put them aside and then a good book I have picked up and then a few new shoes and then... and so on.

By the time the cruise rolls around, I just have to find room for it all!

Happy Cruising Everyone! :)

I pack the night before we drive to the port. The wife, on the other hand, will start hanging out her evening wear when we book. She'll check out each oufit, match shoes with it, jewelry, etc. This could be 2 or 3 months before we cruise................

Sounds like a smart woman...we will be sailing on Oct. 27 and I have been doing the same things as your wife. I just bought snorkle equipment today, called my friend who will be traveling with us, she went and got hers too. :)

Missygirl

I make lists of my lists so I am usually pretty organized. I start putting items that I won't need on a spare bed about 2 weeks out - then I get busy and about 3 or 4 days out I get going again. I don't pull the suitcases out until a day or so before so the puppy doesn't get upset:( .

I usually start buying stuff as soon as I book but in this case I plan on taking a cruise in about 6 weeks and I have started a roll call and have quite an extensive packing list typed BUT I guess I am putting the cart before the horse since I haven't even booked the cruise YET:eek: !

One thing that helps packing is our desire to skip formal night. As a matter of fact, we will probably skip most if not all of the meals in the dining room. Neither of us are really fond of eating out and I have no desire to have someone put a napkin in my lap. I would be happy if I didn't have to pack pants at all. Nothing against those who enjoy fine dining...we just don’t. A wrap from room service, eating with my wife on the balcony, away from the noise and atmosphere of the dining room, THAT'S vacation for me. Of course, 15 years of marriage hasn't dimmed the ability for me to feel alone with my wife, no matter how many people are around. As long as I have her to look back at me I will be fine in any situation.

One thing that helps packing is our desire to skip formal night. As a matter of fact, we will probably skip most if not all of the meals in the dining room. Neither of us are really fond of eating out and I have no desire to have someone put a napkin in my lap. I would be happy if I didn't have to pack pants at all. Nothing against those who enjoy fine dining...we just don’t. A wrap from room service, eating with my wife on the balcony, away from the noise and atmosphere of the dining room, THAT'S vacation for me. Of course, 15 years of marriage hasn't dimmed the ability for me to feel alone with my wife, no matter how many people are around. As long as I have her to look back at me I will be fine in any situation.

My DH is like this. We leave in 10 days on a 14 nighter with our 2 DSs. I'm afraid he'll want to eat at the buffet every night! I will compromise by checking out the menus for the day before making any decisions.

Back to packing. Leaving in 10 days and I am just starting. My lists are ready. I have all toiletries ready (bought all new). I am ironing all garment bag stuff today. Won't pack suitcases (kids & ours) until 3 days before, but all the outfits will be cleaned, folded, and laid out so I can count everything. I am a little anal, but this is 14 days we are talking about and the Spirit has no laundry rooms. I do plan on taking advantage of my laundry coupon and the fill a bag deal.

The list-making begins about 6 months out. :eek: I first make a detailed outfit list, so that I can begin shopping for wardrobe needs. The entire list is finalized about 2 weeks ahead; by that time, I've hopefully picked up whatever non-clothing items I need (although there always seems to be an emergency trip to the store the day before we leave).

The suitcase goes into the spare bedroom 2 weeks ahead; every time I go in that direction, I take something to toss in. 3-4 days ahead, I officially pack all non-wardrobe items. Two days before departure is laundry day; then final packing is done the day before leaving. Lock it up, stow it by the front door, and TRY to calm down enough to get some sleep! :p

my wife starts packing about 2 weeks before we go anywhere, gets real nervous about 2 days prior:eek:, and then stays up the whole night before leaving - and on our last trip we had to return home (after 5 minutes) cause we forgot the passports! But she sleeps well on the plane...:p

We are going on Norgein Sun in Nov. adn it is the fisrt time in that month and ship, what I really like about it I don't have to pack that stupid suit a fancy dress other wise I pack 2 days before, I make a list but every thing on the bed and then when I know I have everything pack it, so far never forgot anything and don't pack half the stuff some people do, if I don't have it I do with out for a week.

Okay let me do this again, I pack 2 days before we leave, we are going on the Norwegian, Sun in Nov, and it will be the fisrt time on that ship and first time in Nov, what make me happy about this one I won't have to pack the suit or fancy dress, I never really forgotten anything and I don't take half the things that people take , I have been on 10 cruises and started to pack less, I am not even thinking about this cruise yet still have 3 months to go and things can change. Now this one is better, can't talk on phone and type at the same time .HAHA

I usually pack during the last week before the cruise. We already know what we need and what we want to take and we look here for new suggestions.

This particular time I would have been packed because I know what I want to take. The trouble is I need to lose about 15 pounds and we leave in 20 days!!:eek: I think I am going to be disapointed :mad:

Archived