Zipline location of hands

The two times I've done ziplines (in Belize and St. Martin), we had to put one hand on the cable above and behind our head. The other hand was placed about eye level holding the pulley. I can't remember which hand was which, or if it makes a difference which one is on the cable.

I think it depends on where/when you go. I just did the zip-line in Montego Bay last week (on the Liberty inaugural no less!) and we were told to just hold onto the caribeener/strap that went from our harness to the pulley. That was a warm, dry day, though.

They did tell us that when it rains and the "ropes" are more slick, then you have to use your hands as described by the poster above as a brake. Also, if you end up stopping before the end, you will need to use your hands to pull yourself along the line to the next platform. This happened to me on the end of a very long, fast traverse - the guide at the end slowed the women down a bit too much so we all had to pull ourselves in a little (but didn't stop the men at all and they went flying into the padded tree on the platform - actually quite funny to watch!!:D ).

Zip.JPG

The further away the arm at the rope the more you can steer to go steady instead of turning around like crazy. Here I reached almost the platform so you need to break unless you want to hug a tree.

This one is btw in Costa Rica. Very nice one.

Archived