how accessible are these ports

travelteam

for a wheelchair user?

London, LaHavre, Falmouth(Cornwall), holyhead(Wales), Dublin and Cork Ireland.........

can anyone share what they did at these ports that were enjoyable without lots of stress...........

we are booked fir a TA in 2008..........and I'm getting cold feet.:eek:

I can only speak for London. It depends on whether the wheelchair user is able to take a few steps. My wife uses a wheelchair and can do limited walking so we made out pretty well. The English are very sensitive to wheelchair users and seemed to lend us a hand when we needed it. You'll find many of the tourist attractions are free for wheelchairs. While it isn't as easy to get around as it is in the US, it is doable. The ground is fairly level, you'll find some wheelchair ramps, and helpful Londoners.

i think it would be fair to say that British access is improving by leaps and bounds - we have a law DDA 1995 amended 2006 which is worth quoting if you need to. I think it is broadly similar to the ADA

Just one tip - don't attempt the London Underground - although the docklands line is fab. You will be very surprised at the short distances in London. Ift has taken me 35 mins in the past to use the underground t find out that the walk would have taken me 5 mins! lol

Archived