Any geocaching cruisers out there?

Neilius

I'd really like to combine one of my pasttimes (geocaching) with cruising, and was wondering if anyone else on this board is a geocacher.

I'd like to investigate the possibility of establishing a small geocache on Lifou since a lot of people here go there, and it's such a beautiful place.

There were no geocaches anywhere in New Caledonia when I last looked.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, Geocaching involves hiding a small container in an interesting place, stashing some fun things in it like toys, coins, etc, and publishing the coordinates on the internet at the Geocaching site. Other geocachers use their GPS to track down the container, sign the log book, take something from it, and leave something in it.

Kids love it, and it's a great way to explore a new place.

I was thinking of perhaps stashing a disposable camera in it, and then in 12 months or so, retreiving the camera and publishing the pictures. It would be a fun project for any of us that were interested, and quite an achievement to establish the first geocache in a new country.

There are other geocachers on these boards. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=485927&highlight=geocache

What do you think?

I spoke with one of the co-ordinators of Geocaching, and he suggested we find someone local who can help maintain it. Someone preferably with access to email.

It might make more sense to try in Vila or Noumea - at least there are people there with email addresses, and almost every P&O cruise in this part of the world goes to one of those places.

I'll see if I can find a local in one of those spots to help set one up and let you know how I go.

Sounds great Neil! I'd love to do it in Vila :)

I bought a photo album from one of the shops in Vila while there last time and wasn't sure if i'd get it back through customs. The owner gave me his email address so I could let him know if I got it through or not. We could ask him if he'd help us? He's really friendly. I should still have his email address somewher.

(BTW - I didn't get it through, because it was bound with banana leaf :( )

Sounds great Neil! I'd love to do it in Vila :)

I bought a photo album from one of the shops in Vila while there last time and wasn't sure if i'd get it back through customs. The owner gave me his email address so I could let him know if I got it through or not. We could ask him if he'd help us? He's really friendly. I should still have his email address somewher.

(BTW - I didn't get it through, because it was bound with banana leaf :( )

Jo

You really should give up smoking banana leaves :P

I emailed the principal of the high school in We on Lifou to see if one of his teachers would be interested in helping. I'll see what he says.

Do you want to contact your friend in Vila or would you like me to? I could forward you the email I sent to the guy in Lifou to give you an idea of what to say.

Regards

Neil

Unfortunatley those particular banana leaves probably DID go up on smoke LOL! It was such a cool album too!

If you email me the email you sent to your contact I'll forward it on to my guy in Vila. It's worth a try anyway. He's a pretty friendly guy (a kiwi) i'm sure he'll probably help us.

Or if not maybe your guy in Lifou might know of a teacher friend/colleague in Vila that he can put you onto??

Archived