we are 4 aussies doing a b2b cruise on the centuryi dec 2008

and post cruise we are hoping to spend a week in Mexico

my question to my fellow cruisers

have you got a favorite place in Mexico

we have been looking at acapulco,cozumel or cancun

please help us with your thoughts

ray annabelle robb and lynn

thank you for your help

I like the Presidente Intercontinentale in Cancun. If you like to snorkle, you can literally walk out of your room, cross the beach and hit the water. Very good service, friendly people ( English spoken), good food, good location.

Hope that's useful.

Stick with the Caribbean side and forget Acapulco. The sea water is much nicer, cleaner and clear, on the Caribbean side. On our one stop in Acapulco we found the area around the port pretty dirty and congested. While it was an OK spot to visit, I would much rather spend a few days on the Caribbean side. This would especially be true if you are interested in either beach/water activities like snorkeling or diving, and if you have any interest in touring the Mayan ruins.

We love Cozumel but have never been to Cancun. But if we took a land trip we'd probably go to Cancun or the areas south of Cancun - Riviera Maya and such. Do your research about these areas.

I have spent a week in Riveria Maya and Mazatlan. I loved both - they have very different feels. I loved that I could visit both Playa Del Carmen and Cancun from Riviera Maya. I also loved the laid back feel of Mazatlan. My parents said that Acapulco was very expensive for what they feel they received. Is there something you are looking for in the city you visit?

Cancun is nice on the Caribbean side and central so you could rent a Jeep and visit a few other places of interest, take a boat to Cozumel or Isla Mujeras (?), Tulum, or drive to Chichen Itza (?).

On the other side, I agree with Ixtapa, Mazatlan and I really like PV which is almost like what Acapulco used to be before it turned into a sewer.

Dave:eek:

We did the Mercury 11-night Mexican Riviera cruise last Jan. and had 6 stops. I snorkeled in Ixtapa and Manzanillo. I have also snorkeled in Cozumel. I would recommend the Carib. for snorkeling, as the water is much clearer. Of the 6 ports, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, PV, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo, Acapulco was the least favorite--too large, busy and crowded, although I enjoyed the divers.

Archived