Radiance Class Aft 1604 or 7030?

First of all, I have experienced the aft cabins and LOVE them. I have been on the 9th deck but never on deck 10. I will be traveling with my elderly parents. They have their own room and mobility is great for Mom but slow for Dad. Now my question - - -

Hubby and I are booked into 7030 which I know has a large balcony with a nice hang over roof. I know deck 9 aft has a large balcony with a large overhang. But, not sure of the size of the overhang on deck 10. We are going to Alaska southbound. I know you can never count on the weather any time in Alaska so we figured the nice balcony and overhang on 7030 would be nice if it rains. Dad would be able to sit out and still enjoy the beautiful sights. Well, last night 1604 has opened up. I know it is an upgrade from E1 to D1 but that isn't the issue. If anyone has insight to the size of overhang on 1064 I would appreciate any help. Can you put a chair or lounger under the overhang and not get wet???

Thanks CC you guys are the best! I have learned so much from all of you.

The overhang is about 5-6 feet, as I recall (we had 1602, the JS right next door). If the rain is wind-driven, you'll get wetter than you would in 7030, but how much is anybody's guess. We had 1100 (corner aft Deck 10) on Radiance to Alaska, and I have fond memories of being out there in all weather - sometimes bundled up (it was September), sometimes not.

If you're planning on having your parents spend time in your cabin with you, mobility could be an issue, as it's a healthy walk to the stern of the ship - for somebody with no issues, it's not bad at all.

I'd take 1604 in a hearbeat because I love watching the ship's wake, plus you have a 180+ view of the scenery. If you click on the link in my signature, you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Critterchick - I was hoping you would respond to this. I have seen your posts and knew that you had first hand experience with the aft deck 10. Your pictures were great - thanks. Dad would only come back if it were raining and he couldn't sit on deck. He isn't into crowds so top side isn't really a choice. His cabin is mid deck 10 so the walk shouldn't be bad.

Ginny-Lo - So, it is your fault that I am in this decision predicament huh? Thanks, I appreciate your upgrade. Looks like I benefit from it. I have been watching for an aft cabin every day for about 2 months. I have stayed in a GS and you will love it. Lots of room and long balcony (the length of two normal balcony cabins) but not deep. Nice overhang so you can spend rainy or sunny days out there. Enjoy.

Duckfans13: I've been watching for a GS to open everyday just like you have been watching for an aft. I booked that cabin when the bookings opened. Did you see that JS1100 is open too?? I saw it this morning.

Ginny-Lo, you've added enough stress in my life for one day! No, I didn't see the JS open but then I didn't look. The upgrade cost on my E1 to a D1 is only $10 pp but the cost to a JS is quite a bit more. That is a great cabin though. Large corner balcony and alot more room! I think I need to be happy with the nice upgrade you just gave me and be happy with that. Again, thank for the nice gift!

Book it. My husband and I were just in 1604 about three weeks ago and loved it. The balcony is huge. The overhang from the Windjammer covers about half of the balcony. We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, and a small table. When the ship was moving, we were actually protected from the wind and weather. Again book it. You won't regret it.

Anne

Thanks Anne. With all the positive advice, how can I go wrong. I made the change from 7030 to 1604.

Again, you CC are best advice anyone could ever ask for. Nothing beats word of mouth and first hand experience.

Debbie

Archived