5/12/07 Empress Passengers--the BEST

Sorry this is a bit belated, but I just wanted to share our wonderful experience on the Empress 5/12 sailing from Norfolk. It was only the ship's third trip to Bermuda from Norfolk's new terminal. Many passengers were first-time cruisers, and most were from Virginia, although the nearby states of NC and MD were also well represented.

I sailed with my father. Between us, we've been on about 40 cruises. We couldn't get over how polite, friendly, and outgoing EVERYONE we met was. We never had one bad table at open seating where we faced the dreaded "wall of silence" couple. Everyone was quick to introduce themselves and engage in lively, interesting conversation.

Maybe this behavior impressed me so much because I did the same Bermuda cruise last year with NCL out of Boston, also filled with locals. Let me say that I'm from Massachusetts and still consider myself a Yankee, but I found the passengers not terribly friendly, always loud, often annoying, and I witnessed quite a few scenes of crew being berated and treated rudely. In fairness, the difference in RCI's and NCL's approach probably accounts for some of that.

The crew on Empress also deserves kudos for being uncommonly friendly. Virtually every crew member we passed all week acknowledged us with a smile. I believe their good attitude resulted from dealing with such nice passengers.

Anyway, if anyone reading this was on that sailing, I want you to know that you helped to make it what my father (who went to celebrate his 70th birthday) is still going around saying was "the best cruise he's ever been on." Thanks! :D

Archived