Recent Westerdaam cruisers?

MaryAnnKacz

We really needed a change from Carnival (7 in 2 years). This will be our first 7 day cruise. Is there really no night life on HAL cruises? We are bringing our 7 year old daughter. Hope there are enough other kids to keep her happy at Club Hal. Do they offer late night in room babysitting? We are ready for a little more luxury than Carnival, but also want to have some fun. We're not huge drinkers or anything, but do like to go to the Disco on cruises. Also, is there a place on the Westerdaam where there is ballroom type dancing? I don't mean lessons. I don't think we could ever be bored on a cruise. Just worried that HAL might be a little too laid back for us.

HMMMMM -- I am wondering whether you might be better off on Princess, all things considered? A very nice atmosphere, but perhaps more kids and a livelier night life.

Your best bet is to go to a good local TA who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor. Look for the diploma on the wall. They are trained to listen to you, consider your situation and wishes, and make several recommendations about cruises that might be best for you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Maybe we should have went with Princess, but we're booked and am looking forward to HAL. Like I said, we have been on so many Carnival cruises that we really need a change. Maybe we can actually get a deck chair by the pool on HAL. We know the Carnival dinner menu by heart. I'm ready for a different menu. We will try Princess in the future. Actually, I think it will be nice to be on a more relaxing cruise. The announcements on Carnival can be a little too much. I just wonder how the shows on HAL compare to Carnival. They are fantastic on Carnival. Also, how is HAL's coffee? RCL's isn't as good as Carnival. Maybe HAL uses same being a sister line. I know we'll have a great time. We have 4 port stops, can't wait to see Virgin Islands. Love Half Moon Cay, it's breathtaking, and our daughter loved the kids beach.

Hi Mary Ann. I'll try to help with some observations.

You might have 200-300 children on board, so your daughter will certainly have opportunities to hang out in with others in her general age group. "Club HAL" does have scheduled activities until 11 PM or so -- this should keep her occupied and avoid the need for paying a babysitter (they used to charge $5 per hour). Club HAL operates in its own separate facility, or sometimes in the Lido when it's not serving food - never in your cabin.

There are a couple of dance bands or trios on board for tough dancing. They can accommodate swing, ballroom (on a small dance floor) or Latin. Their mode of music is usually Sinatra/Darin/Martin rather than Big Band for these shorter cruises. There are more families and not quite as many senior citizens on these cruises - the longer cruises have the opposite mix.

The shows on HAL are nothing near the glitz and polish on board Carnival - they just don't have the budget. The performers are sweet kids and they try, but the shows aren't in the same league. The solo entertainment is comparable, though.

The coffee is better, in my opinion, but not terribly strong. Others will differ in their opinion. You can also get upscale coffee in the Explorations Cafe, and free espresso/cappuccino at night in the dining room.

There are far fewer announcements on HAL, usually around 1 PM after the Captain's Report from the Bridge. It's much quieter than Carnival (other than the midships pool and Lido buffet at lunchtime). And more luxurious overall with less glitz than Carnival.

Happy sailing!!!

You might have 200-300 children on board, ...
I would emphasize that might. There could be far less. You can call HAL ship services. Sometimes they will tell you how many children are booked on a given cruise, and they won't. No consistency, however.

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like we'll love it. Too bad about the shows not being as good. We are booked on a 4 day Carnival in September, our HAL is in December. Actually, we're a little tired of "glitz". Our 7 year old girl is really excited about going on a "fancy cruise". This will be her 7th cruise. I don't think she will be at Club Hal a lot. There are 4 port stops on this cruise, only 2 sea days.

I would emphasize that might. There could be far less. You can call HAL ship services. Sometimes they will tell you how many children are booked on a given cruise, and they won't. No consistency, however.

I agree. We went to Alaska in August and only saw a few children. They told us there were 30, and if so, they were well hidden. We saw one couple with a baby. The ship was sold out. It was from Seward and I bet more familys go through Seattle since the air would be cheaper.

Archived