Beware if renting a car and Driving to Denali

tbenson81

There is pretty much no gas stations from about Wasilla north. So make sure you fill up.

Also - if you have a flat, you are in the middle of nowhere and probably wont get a cell signal. Had a cell signal about 10% of the drive from Anc to Denali with Verizon and Sprint, both on roaming plans.

If you have a flat or break down - you are absolutely scewed.

Take the train!

Tony

There are a few stations north of Wasilla.

Willow

Sunshine at the Talkeetna Turnoff

Trapper Creek

Cantwell

Probably need Cellone and local Alaska companies for goof cell service.

Hopefully your car has a spare tire and you know how to change it.

Hope to never breakdown up here on the Alaskan roads.

But the Parks Highway is also extremely, "busy". With plenty of " traffic". As mentioned there are several gas stations, but it is definately wise to top off in Wasilla which I always do for the price savings alone. Gets more costly until Fairbanks.

Beyond the fact that there actually are several gas stations, in Alaska you're never "screwed" if you have trouble along the highway. Unlike in most other places, people in the North will stop to help if you look like you're having any trouble you can't handle. And no, you don't need to worry that the people who stop are muggers and/or car-jackers!

Murray

There is pretty much no gas stations from about Wasilla north. So make sure you fill up.

Also - if you have a flat, you are in the middle of nowhere and probably wont get a cell signal. Had a cell signal about 10% of the drive from Anc to Denali with Verizon and Sprint, both on roaming plans.

Take the train!

Tony

I assume you had personal experience with either breaking down or running low on gas? If you take the train to Denali, you have the problem of transport to/from the park. I have rented a car on several occasions and never had a problem.

Even ARRTrain knew the places to stop for gas - and he obviously knows the train better.

Hi,

We will be driving from Anc to Denali in July - Should we fill up in Anchorage before we leave for Denali or is petrol cheaper in Wasilla???

If we do fill in Anchorage, should we top-up again in Wasilla - sorry if this is a silly question but I'm trying to gauge how long a tank of Gas will last (we're from Ireland so it's petrol here and I 'think' the tanks are smaller here too?)

BTW, we will be in Denali for two nights.

Thanks!

My point is to be prepared. I personally didnt have any trouble but would feel really sorry for someone who had the unfortunate luck of having car issues on this road.

I know Budget Queen says this road is extremely busy....but as of last week, once north of Wasilla, I would only see about 1 car every 10 miles.

A couple pulled into the Denali Lodge right next to us with pretty much no tire or rim left on their car. They had a blowout about 20 miles south of Denali and said they had to ride pretty much on the rim until they got to the hotel because nobody stopped to help them out and they didnt know how to change a flat.

duplicate

Gas in Anc was around 3.00 last week

Wasilla - 3.00

Cantwell - 3.95

Denali - 4.00

And there are not several stations as Talkeetna and Trapper were both closed. Cantwell was the next open station after wasilla

duplicate

Gas in Anc was around 3.00 last week

Wasilla - 3.00

Cantwell - 3.95

Denali - 4.00

And there are not several stations as Talkeetna and Trapper were both closed. Cantwell was the next open station after wasilla

Thank you for the information Tony - looks like we'll re-fill in Wasilla!

Hi,

We will be driving from Anc to Denali in July - Should we fill up in Anchorage before we leave for Denali or is petrol cheaper in Wasilla???

If we do fill in Anchorage, should we top-up again in Wasilla - sorry if this is a silly question but I'm trying to gauge how long a tank of Gas will last (we're from Ireland so it's petrol here and I 'think' the tanks are smaller here too?)

BTW, we will be in Denali for two nights.

Thanks!

Yes I ALWAYS top off in Wasilla. This is also a convenient stop for Fred Meyer, Safeway and Walmart, all right off the Parks.

A couple pulled into the Denali Lodge right next to us with pretty much no tire or rim left on their car. They had a blowout about 20 miles south of Denali and said they had to ride pretty much on the rim until they got to the hotel because nobody stopped to help them out and they didnt know how to change a flat.

:eek: I am the least handy person on earth, and I know how to change a flat and have actually successfully done it! Good point... one more type of preparation for rugged Alaska vacation, be sure to know how to change tire on rental car in case of mishap on roads!

I still remember the first time we drove to Alaska from the lower 48. 2 spare tires, extra gas and parts of for the truck. Cell phones, best left in the off postion until really needed....

Archived