Internet on PG

shorton

I think I read that wireless Internet service is available in each cabin on PG. What is the cost? Assume you buy a specific amount of minutes? Is there a Web page with the info? Thanks!

Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship, but the signal is stronger in the public areas than in the cabins. The cost is based on number of minutes purchased. For no plan, it is 34 cents a minute. A plan for 250 minutes is $50 (20 cents a minute).

Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship, but the signal is stronger in the public areas than in the cabins. The cost is based on number of minutes purchased. For no plan, it is 34 cents a minute. A plan for 250 minutes is $50 (20 cents a minute).

I know there is a wireless access point in La Palette. DH pointed it out to me while we were on board. I know I saw several folks up there working with laptops.

I purchased the $50 dollar plan. I think all the plans have an additional one time fee of $3.95. I think they say it is a sign up fee. Printing is 15 cents a print extra. (I think that is charged separately. You get get asked if you want to purchase additional minutes if your minutes get low. I did not do this so I don't know the cost.)

The computers in the internet room are very slow or at least they feel that way.

I do this for a living so I know that offering this kind of connection is kind of miracle in the middle of the ocean but felt so slow to me that I only just used it for past checks on email and a quick spy here.

I also saw internet cafes on the islands but I didn't check the costs or speeds. I'd also suspect the security of those computers, a keylogger could be installed and you'd never know it.

BTW, they do have a "system manager" who has hours in the internet room. I didn't need to ask him anything while I was there but I did hear him change a forgotten password for someone. (He called them and said it had been changed.)

Caroline

Can I just say I wish I was back right now...?

Just noticed a typo...it is 35 cents a minute with no plan. As Catmommy stated, the ship's computers are extra slow (perhaps to use up those minutes faster?). We brought along our own laptop and the speed was probably equivalent to a decent dialup connection (which will seem extra slow if you are used to broadband). The odd thing is that the Wi-Fi connection is horrible near the internet cafe, and best on the upper deck outside of La Palette...go figure. The techie guy told me that they are working to improve the in cabin reception, but gave no timeline. The connection is fine to check email once or twice a day...better yet, put an "Leave me alone, I'm cruising paradise!" auto-responder on your email!

Archived