sofa's in cabins

seabourndt

i recently did a cruise on the ROYAL PRINCESS was a bit shocked to find my cabin had no sofa in which i like. thought this was just the connecting cabins, and the larger ships all had sofa's so as iam thinking of transfering to another ship i find that the insides,outsides and even the balconies have no sofa's. as iam a single person was hoping to getting a suite but see singles only go up to d grade. any help you can give me deciding ewhich ship to book would be very grateful.

dave

On Princess, unless you go up to a mini, most cabins are just one upholstered chair in the insides, outsides and balcony cabins. I thought I read the Royal had a small sofa in all cabins? Guess I read that incorrectly.

Other lines, do often have a small sofa or loveseat in each cabin, but not on Princess. Sorry!

When we were on Pacific Princess (new) 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, the standard balcony cabin had a sofa in it. The furnishings were what were originally provided on the Renaissance ships.

Her sisters in the Oceania fleet still have sofas in the standard cabins.

Dave

Are you saying that all cabins on the Royal have just one arm chair and no sofas? (There are no mine-suites on the Royal) Or is that connecting cabins have a chair and no sofa? We are planning on spending 36 days on her in Nov-Dec. and I don't think just an arm chair would do.

We were on Royal Princess just after OP's cruise ... our balcony cabin had sofa as did our kids inside cabin. OP was in connecting room (shown nicely on deck maps) and I think only those have arm chair instead of sofa.

We never were in our rooms long enough to actually sit on sofa but it made nice place to pile stuff. Balcony was wonderful.

On the Coral deck diagram, balcony rooms with sofas are marked with a dot (I suspect these are fold-outs to accommodate 2+ cruisers in a single room). The rest just have the padded chair.

On the Coral deck diagram, balcony rooms with sofas are marked with a dot (I suspect these are fold-outs to accommodate 2+ cruisers in a single room). The rest just have the padded chair.

Now you have me really confused. Are you saying that balcony cabins on the Coral and other inside or outsides have a sofa if the cabin sleeps more than 2? I have never heard that before. The red dot means it sleeps more than two passengers, 3 or 4, can't remember off hand. But normally they have small bunks that pull out of the wall, but not a sofa unless you are in a mini suite or above.

The old 'R' ships Princess has taken over, like the Tahitian and Royal, are a bit different as they were not built for Princess.

OP was in connecting room (shown nicely on deck maps) and I think only those have arm chair instead of sofa.
Correct. This has been discussed before. The OP was in a connecting cabin and because of the door between the cabins, there was a chair instead of a sofa. Basic research and a TA's advice would have alerted him to this fact.

As has been said, the Royal, Pacific and Tahitian Princesses were originally "R" ships and were not built to Princess specifications.

On the larger ships, the only cabins with sofas are mini-suites (other than specialty cabins.) You won't find a sofa in an inside, outside or "regular" balcony cabin.

As a single, you can book any room you wish. You just pay the premium to have the cabin to yourself. If you want the Owner's Suite, you can have it if it's available. I often book mini-suites and balconies as a single -- and I pay for the privilege. That's my choice.

Toto2Kansas, you may be right... I assumed the "ability to sleep additional 1 or 2" meant a pull-out couch. Probably wishful thinking on my part, since we were eying one of these as a way to get a "free" couch without going to a mini in a future cruise. Sorry for any mis-information out there!

Archived