food safe on islands?

Louise45

We will be traveling to the S. Caribbean this September and visiting the islands of St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antiqua. A friend of mine traveled to some of these islands a few years back from Carnival and they advised against eating or drinking anything but bottled water when on excursions. I was looking forward to trying new foods. Please give me your advice.

We will be traveling to the S. Caribbean this September and visiting the islands of St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antiqua. A friend of mine traveled to some of these islands a few years back from Carnival and they advised against eating or drinking anything but bottled water when on excursions. I was looking forward to trying new foods. Please give me your advice.

Food out in town is safe, just bring your own bottle water from the ship if drinking out in Mexico.

Fred

We've been to Dominica, St. Lucia, and Antigua. We ate and drank at all three and thoroughly enjoyed everything. I was sorry I wasn't able to have Dominica's national dish, Mountain Chicken*, because that is usually reserved for their Independance Day celebrations (Nov. 3).

Oh, and if you like beer, make sure to try the national beers of each island, they are delicious. Well, the three we had were.

*Mountain Chicken=frogs legs ;)

I think you would be missing out if you took that advice. If you stay in the tourist areas you will be fine. Lots of very nice upscale and local spots to sample the local cuisine. Dont forget to also sample the locals Beers...Banks is a nice choice in Barbados.

We have eaten in the larger restaurants on all of the islands, and have never gotten sick. We always drink bottled water, though, and stay away from the hole-in-the-wall places. You will often see some of the crew members dining in some of the touristy places also. Ask your waiters or some of the crew members on board for some suggestions for good spots to eat.

I wouldn't have any food in the out-of-the-way places.

The more tourist-oriented restaurants will have signs saying they use "only purified water" for making ice for drinks, and in cooking. They really don't want to get the reputation of making anyone sick - we're their livlihood!:)

Louise: eat, enjoy!

What voyage of the Destiny are you booked on? If you go to the roll call board you will be sure to find others on your sailing.

ralph

We always look for new dishes when we travel. Use common sense and caution when travelling abroad.

Some good advise from The Public Health Ageny of Canada

The key principles to remember are: boil it, cook it, peel it or leave it!

• Eat only food that has been well-cooked and is still hot when served.
  • Drink only purified water that has been boiled or disinfected with chlorine or iodine, or commercially bottled water in sealed containers.
  • Drinking carbonated drinks without ice, including beer, is usually safe.
  • Avoid ice, unless it has been made with purified water.
  • Boil unpasteurized milk.
  • Avoid unpasteurized dairy products and ice cream.
  • Avoid uncooked foods - especially shellfish - and salads. Fruit and vegetables that can be peeled are usually safe.
  • Avoid food from street vendors.
  • Wash hands before eating or drinking.

If you like beer at all, definately try the local brands. It seems strange to me to go to a foreign country and pay extra for an imported beer -- like Bud Light:D

Charlie

This is a large part of the joy we get from cruising.

Whether it's jerk at the Ocho Rios Jerk Stand, Conch at the DropOff in Nassau, fresh coconut milk straight from the coconut in Dominica or flying fish in Barbados, the cuisine of the islands is remarkable. Just use common sense. Take a bottle or two of water if you're concerned about that. Island beers are some of the best in the world.

Eating the local food wherever you are is fun and delicious.

My husband and I love eating the local food, however, our MD has advised against it and gave everyone shots for HEP A because of the Western Itinerary and its prevalence. My daughter and son were also given malaria prophalxis because they plan on going inland in Belize. Just use common sense and if you think maybe you shouldn't ...don't. We ate throughout Mexico and the DR recently and never was sick. Years ago I wasn't so lucky in Acapulco...oh well LOL.:))

I agree with everyone else...just be careful. I dont think you have to eat at chains, you can find some very nice spots to try the local cuisine.

2 of my best meals were in tijuana at this "hole in the wall" and in belize. Neither in a restaurant that had many travelers. I also agree on the beer...Im not a big beer drinker but there is nothing like some of the island beers after a hot days activities. Ive yet to try conch fritters and think I will when Im in the Bahammas in July...I hear they are awesome. Im not a seafood gal but I'll give it a try.

Bon Appetit!!!

Ive yet to try conch fritters and think I will when Im in the Bahammas in July...I hear they are awesome. Im not a seafood gal but I'll give it a try.

Bon Appetit!!!

If conch fritters are on the menu, we always split a plate. The best we have found, so far, are from a small vendor near Mallory Square in Key West.

Gotta go now. I'm beginning to drool:eek:

Charlie

Archived