mariner 7/11/07

kathy16

Booked Alaska cruise SB, and wondering about excursions. Can you book RSSC excusions online at different times, or do you have to book them all at once, or the new bookings cancel the previous ones (happened to us on PG last year)? Anyone have any comments on RSSC Skagway RR and gold dredge excursion- wanted a RR one that went to Emerald Lake afterwards (via bus) but RSSC doesn't seem to have one, and I thought independent one is

too long for our stay there. Also I am interested in the RSSC Taku glacier excursion in Juneau - any opinions? And is it too long a day after the Tracy Arm one in the morning? Any experience on the Campbell River wildlife cruise?

Thanks for your help- I will be sure to reciprocate, when I return...

Kathy

I booked our excursions online, 3 of them each booked on different days, and all were accepted and we had our tickets on board with no problems. One of the other posters, HollDoll, mentioned that theirs were not accurate. So I think it is hit & miss. The RSSC booking page says that you can book separately (add to) without it canceling out previous requests, and I called to verify this.

I can't answer your excursion questions. We booked Misty Fjords float plane, Tracy Arm, and Glacier Trek (they canceled for weather). In Skagway we rented a car from Avis and made the drive to Emerald Lake. It was a great choice for us, very beautiful drive.

Unlike the above post, I thought each new on-line excursion booking cancelled the previous one. I acted on that assumption and had no problems. Our latest booking was honoured and the tickets awaited us on boarding.

As far as the Skagway White Pass Railroad is concerned, it is a beautiful trip but as it comes back the same way many people got bored and fell asleep! We did see bears though which was interesting. I think I like the idea of a day's car rental though.

You will be back on board after Tracey Arm by around midday and as you will have not been walking around, you will probably be fit enough for anothe excursion. We did a whale-watching in late afternoon and still had time for a pleasant stroll around Juneau.

I cannot help with Campbell River, it is a new stop.

Just last week, immediately after the Tracey Arm excursion, we went across the street to Orca Enterprises (Capt. Larry) and had an absolutely wonderful whale watch. I think Orca is definitely the best (as I had heard on the Alaska board here) for whale watching. Also, in Skagway, you can take an excursion where you take the train to the summit and then return by bus, therefore two slightly different experiences. We had a great bus driver who recited the Robert Service poem about the Yukon on the way back. I think the whale watch and Skagway train were my two favorite excursions.

Regarding online booking, we were three individuals who all booked individually online prior to the cruise. When we got on board, we had a total of one ticket per excursion, which should have been three for each, and a few separate ones. I think Regent's online booking needs some help! We did get it successfully sorted however, and all went well.

Archived