Garbage In Naples - Health Issues? Excursion Or Not?

Hi to all,

I have read in the past week the problem in Naples...garbage no pick up. The residents are having to burn their garbage which in turn sends out toxic fumes. Also, tons of garbage lining the streets along with rodents, waste, wild dogs. I know or would think any cruise line wouldn't send out passengers in such filth on an excusion. Has any ne been keeping up with the recent garbage problem in Naples? Has anyone been to Naples in the past week (End of May) and can share the situation?

Thanks

Heidi

Just got back from the Meditterean with a stop in Naples last Wednesday (May 30). I had an excursion to the Amalfi Coast and Pompii. On the way to Sorrento I did notice some garbage pilled up but did not see any rodents or packs of wild dogs. I did see some beautiful Itailian villages and coastline. It had rained for three days prior to our arrival however the sun came out and warmed up to the low eighties. I would go back anytime. I think the drivers in Naples are more of a hazard than the acculating garbage. You have to remember if you go to Italy you will have to put up with the unexspected strikes that affect this country every summer. Tim

We were in Naples last July and there was litter everywhere. Papers strewn all over the streets and piles of trash near trash bins. Naples would be such a beautiful city offering so much to see, if only they would keep it clean. The litter last year was such a turn-off to my family that if it weren't for the famous Pizzeria that we wanted to visit and eat at, we wouldn't have bothered walking around. Until it gets cleaned up, I would highly recommend bypassing Naples.

From what I gathered in 2005, there's a difference between Naples and the Amalfi coast. I had a great tour of the Amalfi coast and fellow diners decided to just tour Naples and came back within an hour as they didn't feel safe.

I would presume, if your doing an Amalfi or Pompeii tour that you're probably going to miss the worst of the garbage if it's centred in Naples itself.

Frances

A sidenote on another post. The garbage problem isn't due to a strike. The problem is the cities dumps are loaded beyond capacity.

There was a report in our local paper's travel section yesterday that the concern right now is the toxic air from residents burning the garbage more so than the consequences of the garbage just sitting.

Considering we're moving into summer with more heat, less wind and stagnant air it could be a health hazard.

The article also said the government has plans to deal with it within the next couple of weeks.

We were there last year mid-May and eventhough there wasn't a garbage problem there was a lot of garbage on the streets. I can only imagine what it must be like right now.

Yahoo news below has pictures of the garbage problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/stinky_naples;_ylt=Anh55URpATuhHkC9GgVAZnE20M0A

OT but one thing that saddens me is if you look at pictures of the mounting garbage there are a lot of recyclable (sp?) items...boxes, cans, etc.

Apparently they don't recycle, if there did the landfills might not be so full. With our recycling programs in our town, we end up with one bag of garbage a week. Things we can't recycle or compost.

I love Naples!!! I feel bad when something like this happens to add to the city's iffy reputation. When we were in Herculanium last October there was some sort of garbage issue there, lots of trash piled up around dumpsters, not attactive, but we still enjoyed the walk down to the ruins. Every couple of years there is a trash situation in Philly, usually threatened around July 4th. Always big news, always a pain.

Last year we flew home to the Philly airport during one of USAir's famous luggage problems. We got our luggage (the luggage gods were on our side) and noticed a small corner of the airport with SOME luggage piled up. There were news people on the floor getting just the right angle for pictures. That night on the news it looked like there were tons and tons of peices of luggage.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem in Naples, but good grief--unless you are planning on walking through the old neighborhoods why worry? If you are taking a tour of the Amalfie--going to Pompeii or Sorrento or catching the boat to Capri you probably won't even notice.

As I said --I love Naples, and have loved walking around, getting real pizza at DaMichele, buying cheese and wine in the markets--but then I love South Philly too.

If the situation gets to the point that you are in danger--the ship will skip the port. If you are personally unsure of your health and saftey--you can enjoy the ship as a type of "sea day"

A sidenote on another post. The garbage problem isn't due to a strike. The problem is the cities dumps are loaded beyond capacity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/stinky_naples;_ylt=Anh55URpATuhHkC9GgVAZnE20M0A

Not according to our tour guide; she said the problem was the Mafia trying to in some way take over the rubbish collection, and that Naples City Council was standing up to them.

Again, even over three weeks ago this was not the usual garbage problem but an entire city full of bin bags strewing their contents everywhere - mountains of rubbish all over the place. I cannot imagine how bad it is now. Others who went to the coast did not report a problem - it does seem to be confined to the city.

We were there last June and it was filthy, garbage stacked up everywhere, so it is an ongoing problem. The bus took us up on the hill and we had a beautiful view of the harbor and some nicer homes, but the city was awful. I Watched Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel last night in Naples. Her comments were the same.

Heidi - we were in Naples last week as a port stop on the Emerald Princess cruise. We did a 4 hour ship tour to Pompeii, and then my husband and I walked from the port to the train station (station circumvesuvian), a distance of about 1 mile. From there we took the train to Sorrento. Naples was dirty, and I would recommend to anyone that they take a taxi to train station instead of walking like we did. However, I enjoyed Pompeii, and Sorrento is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.... I would definitely do it again. My only complaint is that we did not have enough time there.

We were in Naples on May 31 on the Celebrity Galaxy. We had been in Naples before and knew that we did not want to explore on our own there. We took the hydrofoil to Capri which is very near the cruise ship dock. We never saw the garbage problem!

Archived