Zipline question

cruiser620

I am seriously considering doing the zipline in Costa Rica. Can anyone who has done this before give me some more info? I read somewhere that long pants are recommended. Is this important? Also, I was wondering what you do with your "stuff" while you are ziplining. I will have my wallet, camera, video camera, etc. with me. I'm assuming with the harness you can't wear any kind of backpack or anything, so where does all your stuff go??? I certainly wouldn't leave it on the bus and I'd have trouble trusting the tour guide with it. I really don't know much about ziplining. I presume you are holding on with both hands so can't hold a camera or anything. I really want to try this, but we will also be doing the Tortugero Canal and banana plantation and I will want my cameras with me! Can anyone tell me how they did this?

Greetings, are you cruising to Costa Rica? When and what cruiseline? We are thinking about going next March aboard HAL. We are going to do the ziplining but will take the ship's tour, we are still alittle leary about booking on our own. Please let me know when you go to CR and how much fun you had! Have you ever been there? Our kids have been there 2xs and loved it, they ziplined and said it was fantastic, but of course they are in their 30s and were on their honeymoon! Happy cruising, Bldlvr aka Marian

Hi Marian,

We're going on Carnival Liberty on 7/7/07, and are thinking of booking with Charlie Soto based on the reviews on these boards. Many people have said there is too much time wasted waiting for everyone to do the zipline on the ship's tour. We've used private tour operators in many different countries in the past and have always had a very good experience. We have been to Belize, but not Costa Rica. Is there anyone who has done the ziplining that can give me some advice?

We did ziplining a couple of years ago in Costa Rica, via a private company - but I can't remember the name. A driver at the dock actually set it up for us (we had previously made reservations with another company, but their driver was in a wreck on the way to pick us up, so they canceled!) I wore shorts and carried my camera with no problem. A few people actually took footage with their video cameras while zipping across the rain Forrest. You will definitely want your camera(s) with you! Since we were in a van, we left our personal stuff in the van and it was fine. I wore a fanny pack, so I had my wallet with me.

It was a great excursion. The driver took us on a little tour afterward, and we were able to see the monkeys in the trees.

We've done ziplining in Costa Rica and Maui. While both set-ups were a little different, both have a harness that keeps you "attached" to the zipline. Two hands weren't necessary, although I didn't get brave enough to let go until the 3rd or 4th zip! It really is a blast!

Do you remember the name of the company you used for Costa Rica zipline? We'll be there in April so I'm sorting through private tours now. Also, do you remember how long the trip was to reach the ziplines? Did the tour pick you up at the docks? Any info is appreciated! Thanks so much.

It seems to me it was about 30 minutes or so in the van to get to the zipline place. It was actually a nice hotel that offered ziplining. But, I don't remember where it was. We literally found someone on the dock and made a deal. The driver at the dock took us to the hotel and arranged everything. I have pics of the ziplining if you want to take a look: ziplining photos. Everyone in our zipline group was part of our Cruise Critic roll call!

I don't recall a weight limit in Costa Rica, but there was a 250lb limit in Maui.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went zip lining (7 of us ages 7 to 61) with Charlie Soto and had a great time. We all wore long pants, but I am not sure that they were truly necessary. However, I would wear shoes or sneakers rather than sandals. And bug repellent is a good idea.

Charlie usually schedules his tours to start an hour after docking, but I asked him to pick us up 1/2 hour earlier. As a result we were the first ones at the zip line and thereby reduced the wait time.

The weather can be changeable in Costa Rica so be sure not to take anything that could be ruined if it gets wet. The sun was shining when we started the zip line, but part way down it started to pour and we got soaked.

• 3 weeks later...

We would like to do the zip line but have a couple of questions. I am about 5 ft tall and weigh 110, do you need much upper body strength? It looks like alot of fun but I don't want to get stuck part way.

I am about 5'2", 114 lbs. I loved the ziplining and would do it again in a heartbeat. You do not need any kind of strength since the harness supports you, HOWEVER....... I was the smallest person in our group, and everyone weighed a lot more than me. On each landing platform, a person pulled a rope as a brake when you approached so that you wouldn't come in too fast. Since I was lighter, I wasn't coming in as fast as everyone else and on several of the platforms they pulled the brake for me way too early, leaving me short of the platform. I had to go hand over hand and pull myself up the rest of the rope. The first couple of times was not too bad, but after it happened several times, I just didn't have the strength to pull myself up anymore. On one of the ropes the guy had to come down to me and hook himself to me to get us back up. So that was kind of annoying since I kept telling them at every platform to radio the next person not to brake me so soon. But with that said, I did like doing it and would definately try it again.

Archived