Explorer to Bermuda Questions???

We are sailing on the Explorer to Bermuda in September and arriving a few days early to visit NYC (never been to either).

We are flying from CA and the best deals on airfare are to and from JFK. Anybody have any idea if we will have trouble making an 11AM return flight??We are Diamond members so we will be able to disembark first. After reading some posts here I am trying to get a handle on whether to purchase transfer to the airport via Royal Caribbean or reserve a car service or cab any input??

Also will we sail out past the Statue of Liberty??

Any things not to miss in either NYC or Bermuda would greatly be appreciated...

Thanks

Honestly, I wouldn't push it with an 11 am flight from JFK. It can take a REALLY long time to get to JFK from Bayonne due to traffic. :rolleyes: Newark is definitely your best bet for an airport, as it is only about 10-15 minutes away. You won't sail past the status of liberty, but you will be able to see it in the distance. Since you are arriving a few days early and I believe staying in NY, maybe you can visit it on your way to the port. You will pass the exit if you are coming from NYC to Bayonne. :) If you choose Newark airport, there are some great hotels right in Jersey City or Weehawken on the hudson with very easy access to visit NYC (Path train or Ferry). Good luck! :D

We used to use the RCCL busses for airport transfers but now we always make our own arrangements. That way we're in control and not waiting on others to fill up the bus or for the driver to move the luggage around etc. I think it ususally saves us quite a bit of time.

I was on Explorer of the Seas September 2006 out of Bayonne. You will have a good view of the Statue of Liberty. Make sure you go to Horseshoe Bay Beach. I have been to Bermuda 3 times and it is a great beach! Have fun!

One of a couple of dozen shots I took of Lady Liberty as the Liberty of the Seas departed from Cape Liberty (see a theme here?) on May 7, 2007:

2794640980077959744S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's the whole album: http://travel.webshots.com/album/558986209xVvVJk?start=36

Carol, I checked out your album. A hint for shooting theatrical productions- stop your digital camera down at least 2 stops. That way-

1. the faces are not over-exposed

2. the faster shutter speed results in less shake

3. the colors are richer, also due to less light absorbed.

You can have the camera do this automatically, check the manual of your new toy.

An example from my Freedom album, shot from the balcony over a hundred feet away.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2802900700096246620iPfJLv

Thank you, Big. (May I call you *Big*?)

That was my absolute first outing, raw beginning, know-nothing time with my new toy. :)

Look at my Monarch album and see how much better the theatre shots are, just two weeks later!

Bermuda - must see:

Horseshoe Bay

Jobson's Cove - (private area, relaxing, not crowded but a walk from Horseshoe)

Achilles Bay

Alexandra Bay - (Amazing sea glass all over the sand)!

Warwick

Hawkins Island - Carnival/Party - friends went and loved it

Have fun - I LOVE Bermuda

Thanks for the tips so far. Looks like to get up close we will visit the Statue of Liberty before the cruise. I was hoping to see up close from the balcony so that I could use the extra time in NYC.

Please keep the info coming.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips so far. Looks like to get up close we will visit the Statue of Liberty before the cruise. I was hoping to see up close from the balcony so that I could use the extra time in NYC.

Please keep the info coming.

Thanks

You can see the statue easily from your balcony in port (from the port side), no, you are not up close, but it is obviously the statue. A good zoom will give you an even better view.

You can also see the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State building, and even the Chrysler building off further in the distance.

I would still recommend visiting Liberty Island if you have time, but you can get a good picture from the ship.

We are sailing on the Explorer to Bermuda in September and arriving a few days early to visit NYC (never been to either).

We are flying from CA and the best deals on airfare are to and from JFK. Anybody have any idea if we will have trouble making an 11AM return flight??We are Diamond members so we will be able to disembark first. After reading some posts here I am trying to get a handle on whether to purchase transfer to the airport via Royal Caribbean or reserve a car service or cab any input??

Also will we sail out past the Statue of Liberty??

Any things not to miss in either NYC or Bermuda would greatly be appreciated...

Thanks

11AM flight out of JFK is cutting it way too close considering you will need to be at the airport probably 2 hours before then. Just got off the Explorer yesterday (from the 5/25 sailing) and the white tags (the first ones off the ship) were called to disembark around 9:30 - 10AM. I didn't get off the ship until about 11AM (with blue tags - the middle of the colors) and had to wait to get picked up at 11:30 due to the traffic build-up by then.

I believe the ship pulled in later than usual, but you'll never know what small delays you may encounter.

As for the Statue of Liberty, you won't sail right by it when departing Cape Liberty, but you will see it from a distance. IMO, going to Liberty Island isn't worth it to get a good shot of the Statue because it's probably too close. Instead, you should ride the Staten Island Ferry round-trip (free both ways) and you will sail right by it for some great shots of the Statue as well as lower Manhattan.

For Bermuda, you might also want to check out the Crystal & Fantasy Caves if that interests you.

Archived