Help!! Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau

eela

Hi all,

We are going on our first cruise July 13th, 07 with Celebrity, Mercury. Ports of call are Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau. We would like some help on land excursion tips from the experienced cruisers. We are into scenery but are also concerned about costs. Can anyone suggest some really WORTHWHILE tours to do in these cities?? So far we have only looked through the excursions offered by the cruiseline as we don't know what to find other excursions.

Skagway - we heard the emerald lake is a must see but we are canadians and car rental to cross the border is a problem. how are some of the yukon tours? how's the summit tour??

Ketchikan - the misty fjord flightseeing is costly but people seem to think it is really worthwhile?? anyone done the alaska underwater tour?? how about the rainforest wilderness cruise and exploration??

Juneau - can we do the Mendenhall glacier tour by ourselves or do we need to go with a tour group/guide? again, the helicopter flights are really costly but worth it??

that's a lot of questions, i know. we would appreciate any help. thanks a lot everyone. we are very excited about this trip! Is there anyone in this forum also going on this trip??

Eela

Go to your Roll Call and put out out a post offering to share a ride to Emerald lake. There are several tour operators that do do bus trips there, and the combo bus/rail tours are excellent. Summit, only go 20+ miles and don't get into the Yukon.

Yes, you can easily get to Mendenhall Glacier via shuttle bus, $6-7pp one way. $3 admission for the visitor center, if of interest. Several trails with the Trail of Time doable by most, print out the guide sheet. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

Check when you get there if there are any ranger activities scheduled.

The flightseeing to Mysty Fjords was absolutely spectacular! We went with Island Wings and I can highly recommend them. Michelle is an excellent pilot and her plane is great. They make a 25- 30 minute stop on a tiny deserted islet so everyone can get off and walk around, great for photos. The air is so clean and fresh here!! She does great commentary on the area and you are connected by headset so that you can ask questions. I was a little hesitant about flying in such a small plane (6 passenger) but it was fantastic!!

You can easily do the glacier in Juneau on your own via the bus. I'd also recommend whale watching in Juneau. In skagway we inexpensively rented a car & drove on our own. the truth is I was not that impressed with Emerald Lake. Nice drive up.

Not to be missed was the float plane trip in Ketchikan. I think we went with Southeast Aviation. they landed at the fjords and we got to stand outside on the floats and watch and photo bears feeding on salmon in the creek. So memorable. I don't know if it's still there but when we went this outing was in a 2 for 1 coupon book (toursaver?) and reduced the cost from $210 pp to $105 pp. Great outing.

You can easily do the glacier in Juneau on your own via the bus. I'd also recommend whale watching in Juneau. In skagway we inexpensively rented a car & drove on our own. the truth is I was not that impressed with Emerald Lake. Nice drive up.

Not to be missed was the float plane trip in Ketchikan. I think we went with Southeast Aviation. they landed at the fjords and we got to stand outside on the floats and watch and photo bears feeding on salmon in the creek. So memorable. I don't know if it's still there but when we went this outing was in a 2 for 1 coupon book (toursaver?) and reduced the cost from $210 pp to $105 pp. Great outing.

Also taking the Mercury cruise but on July 6.

It appears that your onland highlights are:

1. Whalewatching - is there enough time to do this and the glacier?

2. Going to Glacier in Juneau - is this as good as the Hubbard Glacier which comes later in the trip?

3. Floatplane trip - where would one try to get the 2 for 1 coupon book?

As we have a large party ranging from kids of 10 to adults 60+, will the above be suitable for all? Any other suggestions for Skagway besides renting a car.

Also am I correct in presuming it is better and cheaper not to book through the cruiseline but do it yourself.

Many thanks and much obliged.

Archived